3 month plateau

Options
Dear all

First of all I wish you all well in your weight loss journeys.

I wonder if you could kindly advise.

I am what I ONCE called "a weight loss guru".

I was historically an advisor on a similar forum and have lost weight "by the book" and followed the simple formula: eat less and wisely and move more.

However - this is now not working and I am experiencing a mysterious plateau.

I weigh and log all my food.
I drink 2 litres of water a day.
I exercise regularly (I am an ultra marathon runner).
I don't drink alcohol at all.
I cycle between regular and low carb days.
I weigh myself once a week under the same conditions.

It appears I now cycle between 2lbs and never drop.

Once I reach 8 stone 9, I somehow gain weight and within a week weigh in at 8 stone 11.

I work hard to lose them and drop to the same and within a week regain the 2 lbs. This has been ongoing for months.

Even my Dr is baffled by it and has suggested I even have a one day "binge" to see if it sparks off my metabolism. He also conducted blood tests and other tests on the same.

I don't want to get disheartened as I am thrilled with the results of my efforts to far, but would welcome any advice.

Could it be my body has adapted to the food intake and my exercise routine?

Do I need to shake things up?

I'd welcome your thoughts.

Thank you

Astrid. :)

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're eating at maintenance level.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    What's your age and height? What's your daily calorie deficit?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So you keep doing the same things to lose weight as before expecting the same results as last time. Body changes as you age.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yeah, It sounds like you need to eat less, or move more. You have lost weight, but have you changed your calorie goal? A smaller body needs less fuel unfortunately.

Also, I'm not sure this needs to be said, but don't weigh in the day (or even 2 days) following your long runs. I find when I run anything over 5 miles, I tend to hold onto water weight for some muscle repair. I'm sure for you it is a higher mileage than that ( I stop at halfs!) but still something to consider.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you Have been at a calorie deficit for several months then yes your bodies narural TDEE has lowered. This is known as " adaptive thermogenesis" so what used to work as a deficit your metabolism has slowed/ adapted to the lower amount of fuel/ energy.
    So you can either reduce calories ( if you have room) or increase exercise to manipulate calories.
    If neither sound ok, then you may want to " reverse diet" back to your original TDEE or beyond to boost your metabolism again. That basically reverses the effects of the adaption and then you start again with the deficit
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/reverse-diet/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Your body has adapted to your exercise regimen. In other words, it learned how to utilize calories effectively without going into deficit. Normally this means a drop in metabolic rate. Eating less may not be the answer to problem. This will more than likely reduce lean muscle tissue if you're a marathon runner. So one of two things to do: increase your exercise output (longer duration or increased speed), or start doing some resistance training along with your running.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Unless you are 4'10" or below, you're at a healthy/normal weight for your height. What is your goal weight, and how tall are you?

How many calories do you consume per day? How do you track calories burned for your runs?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you are eating at maintenance level....
    but yes the body does get used to the workouts we put it through so sometimes we need a little gear change to try and get the ball rolling again...I find some HIIT helped when I stalled before, also it may be time to just check you are being accurate still with your food logging, all it takes a couple hundred extra cals to mean weight stays the same.
  • DDAstrid
    DDAstrid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're eating at maintenance level.

Good morning, I hope not! I stick to 1200. Interestingly I put weight on, the moment I eat any more than that.

• DDAstrid
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    So you keep doing the same things to lose weight as before expecting the same results as last time. Body changes as you age.

I am afraid I think you're right. I am closer to 40 this time, than 30....

• DDAstrid
    Options
    dietstokes wrote: »
    Yeah, It sounds like you need to eat less, or move more. You have lost weight, but have you changed your calorie goal? A smaller body needs less fuel unfortunately.

Also, I'm not sure this needs to be said, but don't weigh in the day (or even 2 days) following your long runs. I find when I run anything over 5 miles, I tend to hold onto water weight for some muscle repair. I'm sure for you it is a higher mileage than that ( I stop at halfs!) but still something to consider.

That a good point, I am very active - perhaps my body is retaining water after long runs.

• DDAstrid
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Your body has adapted to your exercise regimen. In other words, it learned how to utilize calories effectively without going into deficit. Normally this means a drop in metabolic rate. Eating less may not be the answer to problem. This will more than likely reduce lean muscle tissue if you're a marathon runner. So one of two things to do: increase your exercise output (longer duration or increased speed), or start doing some resistance training along with your running.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I am in my comfort zone when it comes to fitness. Perhaps I am guilty of thinking I regularly work out without actually stretching or pushing myself. Perhaps I have become complacent in my training.

• DDAstrid
    Options
    but yes the body does get used to the workouts we put it through so sometimes we need a little gear change to try and get the ball rolling again...I find some HIIT helped when I stalled before, also it may be time to just check you are being accurate still with your food logging, all it takes a couple hundred extra cals to mean weight stays the same.

Time to introduce HIIT again I think. *groans*
  • DDAstrid
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    If you Have been at a calorie deficit for several months then yes your bodies narural TDEE has lowered. This is known as " adaptive thermogenesis" so what used to work as a deficit your metabolism has slowed/ adapted to the lower amount of fuel/ energy.
    So you can either reduce calories ( if you have room) or increase exercise to manipulate calories.
    If neither sound ok, then you may want to " reverse diet" back to your original TDEE or beyond to boost your metabolism again. That basically reverses the effects of the adaption and then you start again with the deficit
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/reverse-diet/

My goodness, that sounds scary. I would have to do that I think along side an expert, as I fear a meal plan will be replaced with a packet of chocolate biscuits!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would think time for a diet break and reverse dieting up to a decent level of calories ..ignoring scale fluctuations

Then cut again

If you are beginning to maintain on 1200 calories that's a huge warning sign to me of either inaccurate logging or, actually I don't have an or...anybody would lose at 1200 even allowing for adaptive thermogenesis

• LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    DDAstrid wrote: »

I know LOL, I'm not fussed on it either so I stick to short bursts of sprints and that gets it done without too much jumping around, I hate high impact stuff in general :/
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Stress from low carb dieting, stress from distance running and sleep. Take a holiday and sleep.
    I agree that HIIT does surprising things.
  • DDAstrid
    Options
    Stress from low carb dieting, stress from distance running and sleep. Take a holiday and sleep.
    I agree that HIIT does surprising things.

It's interesting you mention the word "stress" - I have an incredibly stressful (but rewarding) job including 18 hours a day plus long distance travel.

I find my sleep is light and short and I had to cancel my annual leave this year.

I wonder if the theory regarding stress and retaining weight is correct?

• DDAstrid
    Options
    DDAstrid wrote: »

I know LOL, I'm not fussed on it either so I stick to short bursts of sprints and that gets it done without too much jumping around, I hate high impact stuff in general :/

*knuckle bumps*
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @DDAstrid absolutely if you are stressed it translates as a gain on the scale, not sure about the science behind it but I've experienced it last year when it was coming up to my sons wedding, I was doing everything right yet the scale just kept going up...the day of the wedding it just all whooshed back down! I really do believe stress means we hold onto more water weight!

Edited to add: with stress I don't have any appetite, so its not that I was eating more than usual either :/