Outdoor running shoes

Options
Hi I'm looking for advice. I need some weatherproof running shoes for rain and snow, pavement mostly but some trail. Can anyone recommend anything? I love my Nike fly knits for running but they are 0% weatherproof.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So, for rain, you actually don't want waterproof shoes. Water will eventually get in through the ankle opening, and then you're dealing with water sloshing around in a sealed vessel. My favorite shoes for rain running are generally less cushioned with a mesh top that dries quickly. The Brooks Ravenna 5 was great, but I can't wear the new (and more cushioned) 6 so I have no input there.

For winter, when the conditions are wind/snow/ice, I swear by Gore-Tex uppers. I've used the Nike Pegasus GTX (no longer manufactured, but the best shoe I've ever owned), Brooks Adrenaline GTX, Brooks Ghost GTX (not a fan), and Saucony Ride GTX in the past. They work fine on pavement and lightly technical trail, nothing super-rocky.

The 2015 Saucony Ride GTX is deliciously tacky and I'm totally going to spring for a full-price pair.
    ETA: The 2014 is still available, discounted, and was a great shoe for me last winter.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love my brooks for street, treadmill, and trail running. They're the bomb and worth every penny, which since I got mine on sale were like $100 bucks off.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I find a shoe that drains extremely well- so it's extremely permiable to begin with means that the water never hangs around- it just gets wet- but not soggy.

I prefer my mesh vibrams for running in the rain- they dry extremely quickly- but, I realize they aren't for everyone.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run all year 'round in my regular runners (rain, snow, extreme heat & cold). You could find a gore-tex trail shoe that will give you some additional protection from the elements (I know New balance makes a few models and I'm sure that there are others). Any time it's likely that my feet may get wet / cold I'll use wool socks as they stay warm even when wet.