Swollen foot ?

Options
SummerLovin0x
SummerLovin0x Posts: 481 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone experience swelling on the feet/ankle? Actually its one foot. I'm constantly sat as its my job, i'm a secretary. I don't know if its the heat or just from sitting.. Anyone else experience this ? i'm sitting from 5 am -5 pm ....

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That can be caused by any number of situations. Some are normal and benign. Some are very serious. This is not something you should be getting advice about from random internet people.

This is a link to a nih.gov site that gives some tips on self care and also when you should see a doctor, I'll quote that below:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003104.htm

When to Contact a Medical Professional

Call 911 if:
    •You feel short of breath.
    •You have chest pain, especially if it feels like pressure or tightness.

Call your doctor right away if:
    •You have heart disease or kidney disease and the swelling gets worse.
    •You have a history of liver disease and now have swelling in your legs or abdomen.
    •Your swollen foot or leg is red or warm to the touch.
    •You have a fever.
    •You are pregnant and have more than just mild swelling or have a sudden increase in swelling.

Also call your doctor if self-care measures do not help or swelling gets worse.
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yes, I experience that...I have an office job as well. My boyfriend gets it, too, when he sits a lot. His doctor told him it was from inactivity. Personally, even if I'm up and around more, it tends to happen. When I wear my regular shoes (sneakers) the swelling stays down.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It could be anything from a stress fracture of bones near toes to muscle strain in the lower back. To reduce swelling keep it elevated and apply ice. If it is painful, especially if the pain intensifies, see a healthcare professional.
  • tishbite39
    tishbite39 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get it a lot. Traveling in a car brings it on. Not fun, rather uncomfortable. Lowe your salt intake and drink water. Maybe diuretic, too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Does anyone experience swelling on the feet/ankle? Actually its one foot. I'm constantly sat as its my job, i'm a secretary. I don't know if its the heat or just from sitting.. Anyone else experience this ? i'm sitting from 5 am -5 pm ....

GO TO YOUR DOCTOR!

But, of course, it's up to you.

Last time I had swelling in just one foot/ankle, I was diagnosed with DVT and hospitalised for 2 weeks. My left leg was chockers full of blood clots. It's something I watch very closely now.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Yes, swelling in a single foot doesn't sound good. I think the people above who said they get swelling are referring to both feet.
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just one foot for me - my left one
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a recipe for blood clotting. Not moving... Swelling in one leg...