Breakfast with fruit

Options
Ckwhitney88
Ckwhitney88 Posts: 13 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I was surprised that 10oz of grapes is about 200 calories, yikes. I make eggs every now and then but I'm not a big egg fan. I eat on the go since I get my little one ready, take care of the dog, and love sleep lol. Does anyone have a filling fruit breakfast? 10oz of grapes are not totally filling. If you do something on the go that's fine too. I find myself eating junk in the mornings and I love fruit so much that I know I wouldn't cheat with it. Breakfast is my only meal that I'm prone to cheat on the most. I'm not a breakfast-y food person

Replies

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I have yogurt with frozen fruit (slightly thawed) in the mornings. Raspberries, strawberries, peaches, blueberries, pineapple, they are all good like that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For just fruit, I guess a smoothie, but I'd want protein and some variety. Maybe with yogurt or protein powder, if drinking your breakfast appeals to you.

I really like oatmeal with berries and protein powder, and for a simpler option I like plain Fage greek yogurt (I like the 2%) with berries or--especially--as a dip for a pear or apple or peach/apricot, etc.

If you aren't into breakfast food you could just do leftovers from dinner or something, too.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Any breakfast that is predominantly fruit based will not be as filling, as there tends to be minimal amounts of fiber, and no measurable amounts of fat or protein.

Additionally, if that is all you regularly eat, I would recommend you increase your breakfast intake. 200 cals to start the day is low, even if your running on a minimal budget of 1200/day.

My recommendation would be to find a protein or fiber/breakfast bar you like, in the 150-200 cal range, and couple it with 100-150 cals of fresh fruit you are already eating. This will allow you to continue the same morning schedule/routine, but give you the extra macros to increase satiety.

If you can spare/add a couple mins to your routine, then you can drop a good high fiber item ( multigrain bread, muffin, etc ) in the toaster or microwave, and smear some PB on it for similar effect.

"Breakfast-y foods" are a cultural thing, and there is no reason why you have to conform. Over a billion people eat some combination of rice, noodles, sea food and vegetables for breakfast. Not something that we as Americans typcially associate with that time of day, but hardly abnormal for humans.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yogurt with blueberries mixed in is tasty and filling. I like to add 1/2 cup of dry oats too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Agreed on a smoothie, just add some protein powder and yogurt or something.

Or just throw your fruit in some plain yogurt, cottage cheese, or ricotta.
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I love steel cut oatmeal. Put in any fruit after its cooked like berries, bananas, peaches, papaya... if I am using apples or dried fruit (craisins!), I add them about 4 minutes before the porridge is done. Delicious and very satisfying.
    You can also make it the day before and reheat in the microwave, Kids like it with milk.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Does anyone have a filling fruit breakfast?

140g of frozen berries + big scoop protein powder + (sometimes) 2% milk

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Yogurt parfait- that way you can have the fruit you love- but still add a small 6 oz container of greek yogurt- low sugar is best for ME- then I use 1/3 cup of kashi go lean crunch- it is incredible. I am full for a long while esp. if you drink your water
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    add to greek yogurt
    add to oatmeal
    peanut butter and banana sandwich
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have granola with fruit, nuts, and soy milk every morning! Try berries since they have more fiber they will be more filling.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    Yogurt parfait- that way you can have the fruit you love- but still add a small 6 oz container of greek yogurt- low sugar is best for ME- then I use 1/3 cup of kashi go lean crunch- it is incredible. I am full for a long while esp. if you drink your water

yup
  • Ckwhitney88
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For just fruit, I guess a smoothie, but I'd want protein and some variety. Maybe with yogurt or protein powder, if drinking your breakfast appeals to you..

That's true. I don't mind drinking my breakfast
  • Ckwhitney88
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    Any breakfast that is predominantly fruit based will not be as filling, as there tends to be minimal amounts of fiber, and no measurable amounts of fat or protein.

Additionally, if that is all you regularly eat, I would recommend you increase your breakfast intake. 200 cals to start the day is low, even if your running on a minimal budget of 1200/day.

My recommendation would be to find a protein or fiber/breakfast bar you like, in the 150-200 cal range, and couple it with 100-150 cals of fresh fruit you are already eating. This will allow you to continue the same morning schedule/routine, but give you the extra macros to increase satiety.

This helps a lot. Never thought of why the fruit isn't filling
  • Ckwhitney88
    Options
    Thanks y'all. These are great! I will definitely be experimenting with these tips
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Raspberries have a lot of fiber, if you're going for a high-fiber fruit breakfast.

On the lighter side: http://www.theonion.com/article/fda-recommends-at-least-3-servings-of-foods-with-w-36699
    SILVER SPRING, MD—In an effort to get Americans to at least go through the motions of a healthier diet, the Food and Drug Administration announced Wednesday that it is now recommending individuals consume three servings of foods every day that simply include the word “fruit” on the box. “Though we have in the past advised eating a minimum of three pieces of actual fruit per day, it is now acceptable to eat any food labeled with the word ‘fruit,’ including variations such as ‘fruity,’ ‘fruit-a-licious,’ or ‘fruit-blasted,’” FDA commissioner Margaret Hamburg told reporters, also noting that sweetened cereal or gummies shaped like fruit are entirely permissible under the agency’s new guidelines. “If it smells somewhat like fruit, or even if there’s a cartoon strawberry or orange on the wrapper, that’s sufficient at this point.” The FDA’s new recommendations are expected to be followed up by other guidelines under which anything successfully chewed and swallowed can now be considered a vegetable.