Alli?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Never once thought I needed a greasy oil slick dripping out of my butt all day long, so nope, never tried it.
    If you ever feel the "need" I got half the bottle left.... I much rather count calories... and yes sometimes I need to learn the hard way, but on a positive note, I believe it has put me off diet pills for the rest of my life!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    There's no easy way out. If one would like to be thinner , then all they need is a calorie deficit.

Pills , mlm snake oil , ridiculous wraps and so on are not needed.

For those that claim the diet pills worked and they lost weight , I'd like to point out that they had to be a calorie deficit to lose weight . so the calorie deficit caused the weight loss . the pills likely had not much to do with it.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If the side effects are not a concern, then do the math.

Alli blocks 25% of the fat you consume. How much do you consume per day? To avoid the side effects, you need to keep it to 45-60 grams per day. At 60 grams per day, the Alli would block 15. At 9 calories per gram, that means 141 calories 'blocked'. At 3500 calories per pound, Alli may help you lose a little over 1 pound per month.

Then there are other problems. Such as it inadvertently also blocks some vitamins/nutrients that your body needs. So you'll also need to up your vitamins.

I'm going from memory, but I believe Alli claims that people on Alli lose X% more weight than those not using it. Alli encourages you to track/log your food & find an online community for support. THOSE are the factors that are important, moreso than the pill. You can do that for free here.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    There's no easy way out. If one would like to be thinner , then all they need is a calorie deficit.

For those that claim the diet pills worked and they lost weight , I'd like to point out that they had to be a calorie deficit to lose weight . so the calorie deficit caused the weight loss . the pills likely had not much to do with it.

Actually alli works by blocking some fat from being absorbed, thus helping create a calorie deficit. It is not the same as the "diet pills" that are just herbal supplements. It is basically a half dose of the prescription medication olistat.

That being said, with side effects suck as leaking orange oil and possible liver damage, I still wouldn't recommend it.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Kaylyn2385 wrote: »
    Thanks guys!!! I had read that. But most people seemed to be saying "I ate a pizza and..." The yep. I typically have a low fat diet anyway. I'm a veggies gal.:) I think I will steer clear now though..

If you already have a low fat diet then Alli won't really help anyways I wouldn't think. Good idea to stay clear!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Actually alli works by blocking some fat from being absorbed, thus helping create a calorie deficit. It is not the same as the "diet pills" that are just herbal supplements. It is basically a half dose of the prescription medication olistat.

That being said, with side effects suck as leaking orange oil and possible liver damage, I still wouldn't recommend it.

Yes I completely understand what alli is and what it does. Like someone above mentioned, the calories it actually blocks are minimal at best .......and yes , the disgusting side affects should deter any sane person from taking this pill.

For every action , there's a reaction. Take alli , block a few calories . and possibly have explosive massive *kitten* in your pants.

Or eat at a reasonable yet responsible deficit, and lose weight without having to worry about explosive diarrhea....
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    If there was an easy solution we'd all be skinny by now.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Right. It's not an issue of "snake oil." It's an issue of "*kitten* oil."
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ibnfaqir wrote: »
    Lol. "*kitten* machine", "don't break wind ever", "get another pair of pants wherever you go".

:laugh: :laugh:

This thread certainly has delivered :+1:

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat a bit less fat and save some $$$$.
    Lower saturated fats (mostly in dairy and animal products), not the good fats such as nuts and avocados.

i have been using the phone app for the last year and a half. stopped being able to see pics....

nice kitty! *derail