Collagen Protein Powder Opinions

Options
I've been using collagen protein powder and have never heard of anyone else using it. It's flavorless, 1 ingredient, low calories (72 calories for 18g protein in a 20g serving), and dissolves well. Is there a difference between this and whey, soy, hemp, etc commercial protein powders nutritionally? Or is my collagen protein comparable? I don't like the fillers, taste, and sometimes high calorie count of other powders. Opinions?

zcin60ggd6rr.jpg
3hbc5d23ewv7.jpg

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Doubt it helps any but, here's where collagen comes from. :)
    0rlygqhezzbv.jpg
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Doubt it helps any but, here's where collagen comes from. :)
    0rlygqhezzbv.jpg

Lol I'm aware of that. I make bone broth with those. It's definitely not vegan!

• OldHobo
    Options
    The stuff in your in your picture isn't vegan either of course. No expert but I think collagen by definition comes from animals. Made from "100% South American Bovine Hide." You think these are the leftover bits from leather jackets and shoes?
    By the way, I had to look it up to make sure your picture wasn't one of those satiric pretend ads like they used to have in Mad Magazine. I see it's on sale at Amazon for only $32.80 lb. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    A high priced powder that doesn't have any advantages over any other protein powder. Selling a product well usually means creating a need for it and using collagen as the main ingredient makes it sound unique.
    You also don't like fillers, but there are hardly any protein products on the market that aren't manufactured by a 3rd party, so contamination is likely. Since supplements aren't regulated by the FDA, supplement companies can pretty much say whatever they want to entice people to purchase their products.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • brendak76
    Options
    The stuff in your in your picture isn't vegan either of course. No expert but I think collagen by definition comes from animals. Made from "100% South American Bovine Hide." You think these are the leftover bits from leather jackets and shoes?
    By the way, I had to look it up to make sure your picture wasn't one of those satiric pretend ads like they used to have in Mad Magazine. I see it's on sale at Amazon for only $32.80 lb. :)

I was making a joke about it not being vegan. I'm aware of the ingredients and am not vegan. I started buying it for my husband - his dr recommended it for inflammatory muscle issues (he has MD) and I didn't realize it was so chalk full of protein and much like a commercial protein powder. My health food store sells it significantly cheaper than Amazon. Comparable prices to other protein powders.

• OldHobo
    Options
    Well, I'm not vegan either and I hope I caused no offense. In my first post, I intended to say this is where my collagen comes from because I thought it might bring a smile if not a chuckle. Left out the "my" though, so hope you don't think I was implying that you don't know what it is or where it's from. Since your reply contained "lol," I felt ok pointing out the bovine hide ingredient, which still tickles me.

Maybe someday we can compare stock making notes. :)
  • brendak76
    Options
    Well, I'm not vegan either and I hope I caused no offense. In my first post, I intended to say this is where my collagen comes from because I thought it might bring a smile if not a chuckle. Left out the "my" though, so hope you don't think I was implying that you don't know what it is or where it's from. Since your reply contained "lol," I felt ok pointing out the bovine hide ingredient, which still tickles me.

Maybe someday we can compare stock making notes. :)

No offense taken! I did laugh at your photo. Reminds me to go get some bone broth out of the freezer.