Lunchbreak Workout- I think boss is getting annoyed

Options

Replies

• HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I write "Lunch Break -Gym" on my office door before I leave. That way people don't think I'm working out on company time... never had an issue with this...
  • sweetie0127
    Options
    I believe by law after every 4 hrs (maybe 5) worked you are allowed a 30 minute break. I would speak to whom ever is the highest person in your company or human resources if you have one and ask what is allowed. I worked at a hospital 8 hr day for a regular shift and we were allowed one 30 minute break and then one 15 minute break in the afternoon. Regardless, if you are working an 8 hour day you are definitely entitled to a minimum of 30 minutes for lunch. Besides what you do on your break is your business and none of his. I also agree with telling him that it will make you more productive, because it will. You'll feel better about yourself and it will inspire you to work hard. I recently asked my new employer that if i start 15 minutes earlier in the morning if I could take an hour 15 for my lunch for the very same reason, to workout. I'm a 5 minute drive from my house so its perfect!! Communication is key, good luck!!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    By law even salaried employees get a lunch break and two 15 min breaks...but that (legally) is only 60 mins total. One 30min lunch and two 15 min breaks. They are under no obligation to allow you more time, or to allow you to take everything at once.

I suggest talkibg to him and seeing why he is upset....is it the extra time? Or that its all together?
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I never used to take lunch breaks and I think this created unreasonable expectations in my boss. I'm not hourly or scheduled for lunch breaks so it especially should not matter that I'm gone for 60-65 mins at lunch. I'm a manager- he's a higher manager.

Lately I notice him clearly watching for me when I come back and then he acts all huffy like I've taken a 3 hour lunch. I've worked with this guy for 5 years with no problem, but he's a workaholic and expects everyone else to be too. I'm really getting pissed! I have three hours of commuting per day and a 2 year old, so it's really lunch breaks or nothing. If he ends up telling me to quit I am going to be so royally angry. This is mostly just a vent but if anyone has advice I'll take it.

I would schedule a time to talk to him about this...I used to not take a lunch break either or eat at my desk and still do my work but I started taking my lunch hour and at first my coworkers and my supervisor seemed surprised and also a little taken aback because I wasn't at my desk to answer questions during that time but I am in a better mood and also feel less stressed so it's good for me and the company:)
    Maybe you can schedule a certain time to workout that works for him...maybe he should take up working out during his lunchtime or even go for a walk, it's such a stress reliever:)
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to talk with him, I highly recommend you DON'T mention the commute or your kids--he couldn't care less about your personal life. Make it ALL about how your exercise break benefits HIM and the company.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to ask permission to go on a lunch break. Regardless of being salary or an hourly employee. How dare your supervisor expect you to work thru lunch too. I say continue going and exercising at lunch. Ask if there is a problem then kindly tell him you are taking lunch. My boss is the same way. I am salary, but 40 hours is 40 hours when we are not in season.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to talk with him, I highly recommend you DON'T mention the commute or your kids--he couldn't care less about your personal life. Make it ALL about how your exercise break benefits HIM and the company.

Oh yea, I know how he rolls. That's why I really like the "it makes me more productive" line ;)

I'm going incognito on the profile pic for a little while. It occured to me that I have no idea who in my office may be on MFP....
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I'm a manager and salaried.

I have 1 hour and two 20 minute breaks (I am in Canada and I am legally entitled to these)

no one has a right to expect anything else but that I will utilise these breaks.

I often work through them because I can and I get caught up in projects.

Since the office knows I am "usually" around to help out if needed, I find that it's just more polite to be upfront and let them know when I'm not around.

I know it's none of their business but they are used to the alternative. that's all.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    maybe he's noticed your super hot post-work out bod :wink:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Here's a question:

How long is your lunch break supposed to be?

Is there anything in your handbook that addresses lunch breaks, length, when to take them etc.?

Ok, so that was actually TWO questions.:tongue:

I ask because when I was getting flack from my boss I went to the handbook and read up on our policies so if by chance he DID come to me spewing stuff I could point out where in the handbook it says xyz or whatever. I looked up policies on several occasions.

I also kept track of the people who smoked, how many times a day they went out and what that added up to in hours as ammunition.
  • NikkiiiT
    NikkiiiT Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    By law if you work over 6 hours (a day) you must take at least a 30 minute break. It's your employers choice if it is a 30 minute lunch and two 15 minute breaks or a full 60 minute lunch. Some places allow you your 60 min lunch and then two 10 minute breaks.
  • missshyeviolett
    Options
    maybe he's noticed your super hot post-work out bod :wink:

tumblr_lz3apnXv7s1qjxqtl.gif
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I'm from the South..so I say use a little sugar. Go to him and say..."Hey, I want to thank you for being so understanding about my new lunch workout routine." I haven't taken my lunch in years...and it was taking a toll on my health. working out during that time is my only option. But i want you to know my work is not suffering and that I keep it to the company's allotted one hour lunch." hour..never a minute more."

then smile. If he has a problem he'll bring it up then..and if not..maybe he just wanted you to mention it or ask him about it in the first place and he'll feel you've done that. So, it is like validating him.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I'm def still working over 40 hours!

I think my guilt may be playing a role in this but I've also noticed something different with him for sure.

I'm somewhat afraid to bring it up because I don't want him to tell me to stop... :(

He has no right to tell you that you cannot. As long as you are working your hours in a day/week and your productivity has not taken a dip. If you are completing your work to the expectations that were laid out for you and you often meet or exceed those expectations then you are entitled to the time that you take.

If you think he in fact has an issue with this the only way to resolve it is by confrontation/talking to him. You can bring it up as a question of concern, you said you noticed a change in his behaviour since you started doing this so you can bring it up in a manner that addresses that you noticed a change and that you feel concern that there is something going on and you'd be open to talking if they wanted to vent. Gives them opportunity to bring up the topic in a way that may be less 'threatening' or less 'worrysome' and creates a stage to discuss the issue. It's best to find out and discuss it then it is to ignore it and instead of an issue it becomes a mole hill of a problem.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Then again, how much of that is spent on MFP forums? (Clearly guilty myself too)
  • missshyeviolett
    Options
    Then again, how much of that is spent on MFP forums? (Clearly guilty myself too)

Hehe. Taking the 5th on that ;)
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have the same policy here as I do about leaving on time (since most of my office will stay an hour or two late while I leave at 5). Yeah it doesn't look great to be leaving when everyone else is there, but who cares as long as the work is done? Just ask him if he's noticed a change in your quality of work and if he says no ( I say 'if' because his perception may have changed and he assumes your work is crap) then just explain you get the work done so where's the problem? If he says he has seen a change, then ask him where. If you can, compare old work to new work that is similar to make your point. He can't tell you to stop so don't let that be a worry.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am an hourly employee looking to move into a salaried postition. I am finding the work culture plays a big part in work hours.

In some departments, if you are salary, it is expected that you work a minimum of 50 hours a week (or more). While in other departments 40 hours a week is just fine and some even shave a little time off at the beginning and/or end of day by coming in a few minutes late/leaving a few minutes early.

I think the expectations of salaried work hours is part of an unspoken work culture that comes along with the job and/or department. Everyone just follows suit with what everyone else is doing (such as never taking a lunch, eating at the desk, working 10-12 hours a day, etc) and when someone goes outside the unspoken boundary a bit of animosity may come to the surface.

I don't agree with the unspoken work culture of not having a good work/life balance. Endless hours spent in the office does not make a better quality of work or life.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm salaried and in theory work a 40hr week over 5 days but in reality, it's a lot more than that including all the missed lunch breaks!

It's not an issue at the moment but should I ever feel the need to start leaving on time, not logging in from home or taking my allocated breaks, it's all written in black and white in my contract.

So if I were you, I'd check that first then have a quiet word with the guy about how much extra you do and how it's more useful for the company for you to continue to do this but have your lunch break - if he's reasonable he'll see the light, if he isn't, you've got your contract to fall back on.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I never used to take lunch breaks and I think this created unreasonable expectations in my boss. I'm not hourly or scheduled for lunch breaks so it especially should not matter that I'm gone for 60-65 mins at lunch. I'm a manager- he's a higher manager.

Lately I notice him clearly watching for me when I come back and then he acts all huffy like I've taken a 3 hour lunch. I've worked with this guy for 5 years with no problem, but he's a workaholic and expects everyone else to be too. I'm really getting pissed! I have three hours of commuting per day and a 2 year old, so it's really lunch breaks or nothing. If he ends up telling me to quit I am going to be so royally angry. This is mostly just a vent but if anyone has advice I'll take it.

I have EXACTLY the same issue. I work more than enough hours, and my quality of work has never been questionable. I think it is a bit of jealousy really. It is funny that I will see coworkers and bosses standing around shooting the chit for 15+ minutes a few times a day with others, which i rarely if ever do, but I go for a 15 minute walk and they get all bent out of shape. As for my workouts at lunch, I finally had to tell my boss that what I did with my lunch hour was of no concern of his.

Good luck. Like I said, it is probably more about jealousy than anything else.