How I lost 7lbs in a week...TIPS

Options
Hi. I am Kristin. I am 24 years old. 4'11. My start weight was at 185. Im now on week 2 of my diet and lost 7lbs. Im at 178 now. I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle. Heres some tips as to how I lost 7lbs in a week.

1. Make no excuses. Your the reason you gained weight. Nothing else
2. Drink lots of water. I drink around 10 cups a day
3. You do not have to deprive yourself of any foods
4. Cheat days are ok. Once a week ill eat whatever I want to eat. Just stay below calo ries
5. I exercise 30 mins a day 5 times a week. 1 day strength the rest cardio. I try to burn 300-500 calories a day
6. I do calories in calories out
7. I eat 200-300 calories breakfast and lunch. So I can have a big dinner. Id rather be hungry all day instead of go to bed with a grumbling tummy
8. You do not have to eat just veggies and fruits to lose weight. Yes they are good for you. But I add them to 1 meal a day thats it
9. Keep moving. After I exercise I dont just sit down. I go do housework. When I cook dinner or when im standing I move my arms or shake my hips. Always move
10. Know your hunger signs. Being overweight you always think your hungry. Find out what hunger is. Its actually not that bad of a feeling. I think it feels worse being overly full then being hungry
11. Get your Vitamin D levels checked. I take a Vitamin D supplement everyday. Helps with energy,
12. Its better to be under calories (There is no such thing as starvation mode). Then to be over calories.
13. I try to have 200-500 calories left over everay of the week that way if I over eat one day or go out with a friend to a resturant that week. I know I netted under calories most of the week. So I can have that small fry.
14. I weigh everyday in the morning after I pee. If I was under my calorie goal. I usually lose a few oz everyday. Gives me a good mind set for the day.

Maybe some of these will help some of you. My calorie goal is 1200 calories a day. But im always under. Usually 1000 a day plus I burn 300-500 cals a day. I weigh 178. My goal is to be at 135 before my Birthday in March.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that, outside of water weight when you first start out, losing seven pounds a week is extremely unhealthy. As for point 12...it isn't necessarily better to be under, especially if you're only netting 500-700 calories. There's a good chance you're depriving your body of nutrients, which can lead to muscle loss and health problems down the road.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So you only net 500 to 700 cals/day. That is not healthy nor sustainable. 1,000 cals net should be sufficient for you given your stats, but that would be 1,000 cals, plus eating any back that you burn from exercise.

It is very difficult for the body to get its required nutrition (fat, protein, vitamins and minerals) on a diet less than 1200 calories. And the larger the deficit you have the larger the % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, not fat!

As for the 7lbs/week, unless you are cutting water to make weight, this is not a good idea to try. A better guideline for weight loss goals are:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that, outside of water weight when you first start out, losing seven pounds a week is extremely unhealthy. As for point 12...it isn't necessarily better to be under, especially if you're only netting 500-700 calories. There's a good chance you're depriving your body of nutrients, which can lead to muscle loss and health problems down the road.

+1
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    So you only net 500 to 700 cals/day. That is not healthy nor sustainable. 1,000 cals net should be sufficient for you given your stats, but that would be 1,000 cals, plus eating any back that you burn from exercise.

It is very difficult for the body to get its required nutrition (fat, protein, vitamins and minerals) on a diet less than 1200 calories. And the larger the deficit you have the larger the % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, not fat!

As for the 7lbs/week, unless you are cutting water to make weight, this is not a good idea to try. A better guideline for weight loss goals are:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    Agreed. I once ate less than 1200 calories when trying to lose weight. But that's when I had an eating disorder. It became easier when I just did resistance training and ate more. My friend lost weight on 1200 calories per day but now she's skinny-fat and is currently working on fixing that.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm trying so hard to contain myself. If I based everything on one week separated out, I could say the time I got the stomach bug I lost 10 lbs in one week, it was an awesome diet. no food whatsoever!!!!

I'm averaging a 2 lb loss per week, after 32 weeks at this.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. How do you have a "cheat day" if you don't go over your calories?
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I eat protein for breakfast and lunch everyday. My cheat day I eat what I want.
  • annieocean
    annieocean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't become anorexic. Under eating can damage your heart. Just take it slow and steady. Eat healthy, drink lots of water, and exercise if you are allowed by your doc. Let your doc know you are dieting. I have a health problem in my back that prevents anything but very low impact, so calorie counting is a must. I don't go under 1200 a day and I am still losing weight steadily while staying healthy. (I stopped counting for the past year and put on 6 lbs, so I am back to counting calories and tracking my low impact exercise.) I have to maintain a healthy weight or my back becomes too painful to walk.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I eat protein for breakfast and lunch everyday. My cheat day I eat what I want.

Okay but you said to stay under calories though. So what's cheating about it?
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Some people have been on here for years, I myself have been on for about 9 months collectively (I took a break). Why do you think that you can give tips after just 1 week?

I can't even say anything else without sounding rude. You don't even realise that 7lbs in a week is unhealthy, and mostly water, and that netting less than 700 calories every day is SO bad for your health, and will probably lead to a binge or giving up in a month, or major health problems.

I will gladly take advice from people that have been doing this for years, and have lost weight and successfully kept it off, but you've just started.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    This is going to be fun!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear posters,

I am locking this thread as MFP does not allow for the promotion of unhealthy eating habits per the below rule.

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

MFP Moderator

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.