Walmart meat and veggies!

Options
13»

Replies

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Our walmart just got a full on grocery part in it. I see the flyers every week and the meat and veggie deals are great but I just can not get myself to buy them there. It is just because it was a store now full on grocery store too.

Does any members here buy there meat and veggies there.

Thanks
    I love WalMart.
    The meats and veggies are fine, and nobody beats the prices at WalMart - not around here. We buy weekly with a special trip to a farmer's market for items they won't stock...like un-pasteurized milk and cheeses.

And WalMart employs many in our community with little employee turnover.
    We know the names of so many of these workers from the greeters to the cashiers and even most of the managers.

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    When I lived in the US, i'd rather chop my arm off than set my foot in that place.
    My places were the farmer's market, asian market, trader joe's and costco. Oh the $$$ I spent at Costco...

Sometimes it just isn't a choice. My dog is diabetic. Her insulin costs $169+ at Walgreens, CVS, Publix. That is for 1 bottle. I get the exact, identical bottle of insulin at Walmart for $24.88.

Her syringes are $30+ everywhere else and are $12.99 at Walmart.

I happily skip into Walmart because it translates into saving my dog's life.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    When I lived in the US, i'd rather chop my arm off than set my foot in that place.
    My places were the farmer's market, asian market, trader joe's and costco. Oh the $$$ I spent at Costco...

Sometimes it just isn't a choice. My dog is diabetic. Her insulin costs $169+ at Walgreens, CVS, Publix. That is for 1 bottle. I get the exact, identical bottle of insulin at Walmart for $24.88.

Her syringes are $30+ everywhere else and are $12.99 at Walmart.

I happily skip into Walmart because it translates into saving my dog's life.

Interesting.
    Back in the early '00s I'd buy the syringes and insulin for our diabetic german shepherd at walgreens for about $20/mo.
    I would shoot the poor thing twice a day. Never complained...

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Our walmart just got a full on grocery part in it. I see the flyers every week and the meat and veggie deals are great but I just can not get myself to buy them there. It is just because it was a store now full on grocery store too.

Thanks

there are tons of Wal-Marts that also have grocery...it's like any other grocery store
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Walmarts in my neck of the woods have groceries but they're prone to running out of anything the regular grocery stores marked down so I only get things like cases of ramen there. I also know people who plop down a list of items and page numbers from everybody else's ads at the register and this works for them. For reasons I don't get, the exception to this is energy drinks. People who never binge buy anything else will load their carts with dollar rockstars in a heartbeat but they're allergic to doing it on a price match.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Thanks
    I love WalMart.
    The meats and veggies are fine, and nobody beats the prices at WalMart - not around here. We buy weekly with a special trip to a farmer's market for items they won't stock...like un-pasteurized milk and cheeses.

And WalMart employs many in our community with little employee turnover.
    We know the names of so many of these workers from the greeters to the cashiers and even most of the managers.

This is my experience with walmart as well. I live in a rural area where a lot of people get paid "under the table" way less then what walmart is offering hourly. The local diner pays 4.25 per hour, plus whatever tips you make.

Not that walmart is a great job, or anything, but if you are comparing apples to apples, there are worse places to work. I am not speaking theoretically, I am not college educated, and my resume (if I had one) would read "cashier, waitress and housekeeper" as the different jobs I have held.

I do support the local grocery store (the ONLY grocery store in my teeny town) but they cant stock everything I need. The distribution trucks wont even come to a small town like ours.

So i utilize the walmart which is about a 1/2 hour drive away.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Im surprised that the prices for some are better at walmart than other grocery stores. At Walmart yesterday, I saw a medium sized seedless watermelon for $5.99. A similar sized seedless watermelon at a grocery store just a few minutes from walmart was $2.99. Bl/SL chicken breast is $3.99/lb at walmart. I can get it for $1.99/lb (sometimes less) at other stores. A gallon of 2% milk at walmart is $2.89. At aldi down the street from WM its $1.67.
  • mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've bought meat at Walmart on several different occasions & have been disappointed every time. The meat often has a slimy touch & a bad smell. I've heard several people say the same. I prefer buying my meat at a store that has a butcher in house & not just pre-packaged.

Also their produce is a hit & miss. Grapes are usually ok, but their bananas, strawberries, lettuce, potatoes never seem to last long before they ruin.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    A gallon of 2% milk at walmart is $2.89. At aldi down the street from WM its $1.67.

A gallon of milk at my Walmart is $4.09. We have a discount store similar to Aldi called Save A Lot and their milk is $3.29 the absolutely cheapest in town.

@andrikosDE Thankfully I've never been diabetic and before her diagnosis I have never had to buy diabetic supplies. She was just diagnosed 2 months ago. I have no idea why the price if insulin is so high at other places and so low at Walmart.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I downloaded the app for walmart, and I scan my reciepts. If there's a cheaper price, the give me the difference in price as an online gift card.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I downloaded the app for walmart, and I scan my reciepts. If there's a cheaper price, the give me the difference in price as an online gift card.

Yep, good deal with the app. The Walmart we go to is one of their highest volume stores. Stuff there is virtually always fresh. There is also a Meijer (regional supercenter type store) and Aldi within 2 blocks of the store so prices are always super competitive.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The quality can vary. I don't care for the meat really. And it rarely beats my Kroger store price wise. Veggies I go to the Fry's(Kroger store) or Sprouts a growing "farmer's market" chain its in many states but not nation wide yet that I know of. I'd really like to find some local actual farmer's markets and get more local produce to see if it tastes better than the under or over ripe stuff I usually am stuck with at stores. I found a grass fed beef farm(well the have eggs, chicken and even wild caught fish) close by and may try out the start pack runs about $118 for quite a bit of meat.

LOL guess you're in Canada? So now I get why your Walmart JUST got groceries/food. Ours have been full on grocery stores for a while now. They even have actual neighborhood market stores by us that are smaller and carry groceries and only the usual GM goods you can find at grocery stores.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Grocery stores get their produce from the same distribution centre. Same batch of produce as other stores
  • anewghost
    anewghost Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The produce is iffy sometimes at my walmart, and their meat prices are higher than the sales at kroger or meijer for the most part. I usually just buy stuff from the non grocery sections.