1200 calories but petite

Options
The app has suggested 1200 calories for me and I've seen on here that it is really low?

I'm only small and my TDEE comes out as 1450, so if I want to lose 5 pounds do I just eat a tiny bit less and exercise more?

Have been doing about 1300 but am constantly hungry. I eat chicken, fish, steak, lots of veg, salad and some fruit. And rye bread, spuds, pasta.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You could've at least told us how many lb's you need to lose... and whether you set it to 2lb, 1.5lb, 1lb or 0.5lb loss per week as well as your stats.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", and I eat more than 1,200 calories. Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

To understand how MFP works, read the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You mean your BMR is 1450? Your TDEE includes BMR + activity.
    what height are you?
    I'm 5ft 2 and maintaining on 2100-2300 cals.
    To lose 1/2lb a week that means I'd eat around 1900 cals to lose - and it works!
    If MFP does give you 1200, perhaps you've told it you wanted to lose 1 -2lbs a week?
    You can/should eat back 50 -75% of your exercise cals.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, petite, 5'2 and maintain at 2100-2400 calories.
  • Elab78
    Elab78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My TDEE.

I'm a healthy weight but very spongy and could do with losing the 5 lbs. I set it at 0. 5 but it gave me the same calory figure as 1 lb per week. I'm 4'9 & 37 years old.

My body fat is 28% and BMI 23 according to the machine at work. Maybe I just need to exercise more to tone.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Elab78 wrote: »
    My TDEE.

I'm a healthy weight but very spongy and could do with losing the 5 lbs. I set it at 0. 5 but it gave me the same calory figure as 1 lb per week. I'm 4'9 & 37 years old.

My body fat is 28% and BMI 23 according to the machine at work. Maybe I just need to exercise more to tone.
    This sounds like you want recomposition (increase lean body mass) rather than reduce weight. Strength training and weight lifting may be the answer for what you want.