Long time user, first time intro! :)

Options
TroublesomeTribble
TroublesomeTribble Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hey guys! My name is Alyssa, I'm turning 27 next week, and I live in Brooklyn, NY. I've been a member of MFP for a long time, but I haven't really utilized the forums or the community base as of yet (upon coming back). I feel I'd be much more motivated to be consistent on here if I had more people to converse and interact with, so I figured I'd give an intro a shot!

A little about my background; I have always struggled with my weight, starting when I was very young, having developed severe depression and social anxiety, and worsening when I was about 11, after developing Osgood Schlatters disease, which caused me excruciating pain in both knees for many years, making it painful to even walk. I had also developed hypothyroidism and PCOS, which I'm sure hasn't helped lol, but the biggest contributor to my weight gain was my binging disorder, which only got worse as I got older.

Over the past five years or so, I've taken a lot of steps toward getting my eating disorder under control, learning how to create good habits, and slowly but successfully breaking bad ones. It's been a long time, but this past year I've hit a point where I feel as though I've gotten it under control for the most part. I'm not saying it's "beat," but I definitely feel good about where I am now, and how far I've come.

Now the weight loss part! I've been working to constantly improve my lifestyle, and create new good habits as I go a long. I've finally become fairly consistent with exercise, and am happy with the results I'm seeing, slow as they may be. My diet isn't great, but it's consistently getting better, and easier. I still fall into funks sometimes though, and could still really use motivation. One thing I've learned, keeping it to myself doesn't help. Which is why I hope to meet new people here, so we can motivate one another! Feel free to add me. :smile:

Replies

• Brandi92809
    Brandi92809 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the message boards! We are the same age, cool. Like you I have struggled with my weight for most of my life, unlike ypu my health issues only started about a year ago and all of them can be fixed when I lose weight and have a healthy lifestyle. I commend you for being strong through your pain! I am glad you havent given up and I do believe you got this! Remember one step in the right direction can go miles. :)
  • melp2k
    melp2k Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Alyssa; welcome aboard! (although like you I'm quite a newbie to the community too, despite having been a MFP'er for a few years) Thought I'd just say hello. I was really touched to read your very honest post. Despite all the challenges you've faced you've clearly got bags of positivity and that will be a great asset. I'd love to add you & share motivation and good vibes with you xxx wishing you the very best. Mel (UK).
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey! Im new here too and love the concept of connecting for support! I'm from Staten Island, tho I now live in FL, I was done with the winters lol. Add me if youd like!
  • TroublesomeTribble
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate your responses!