Just beginning to exercise after 22 years. Please help :)

Options
I'm 42 years old and have finally hit the rock bottom of my fat abyss and have decided I am ready to loose some weight, My question is what can I do safely? I am 5'9, 225lbs and 42 years old. I have done very little in the form of exercise other than walking to and from places in the last 20+years. I haven't been on a bike,jogged,swam, run or anything really in over 22 years. I am out of shape to say the least. Can anyone give some advice to me on where to begin. I don't want to join a gym yet. I have a great neighborhood park to walk in and I have 10lb dumbbells (sp?) I can use in the privacy of my home. I don't want to embarrass myself by doing a class in front of people just yet. Most of my weight in carried in my stomach,thigh and flappy underarms. Please any help you can offer to me to help me get started is appreciated,

Replies

• jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Start slow. DO Leslie Sansone Walk the Walk videos. There are a couple on You tube that are full length and for free. It is low impact and a great way to get some cardio in!
    Here is a link to a 32 minute 2 mile one of hers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBgB_cqDiXs
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1 on start slow.

If you haven't been physically active for a prolonged period of time you should probably speak to your doctor first to make sure there are no underlying medical conditions that need to be taken into consideration.

There are tons of videos on youtube with body weight exercises you can do (don't try to overdo things....) and just getting out walking is a great start.

Have you considered buying a bike? It can be a great way to combine running errands and/or commuting with getting some extra exercise.

In terms of weight loss most of it comes from the kitchen. Log every morsel of food that crosses your lips (you can keep your food diary private here on MFP) - it's often a real shocker when we start honestly logging our caloric intake. Eat at a modest caloric deficit, don't starve yourself or go on a crash diet and be skeptical when considering products that offer miraculous results. Be patient, it takes time to safely lose weight and develop eating habits that are sustainable for the rest of your life.

You may think that joining a gym may be a source of embarrassment but you would be surprised by the variety of body shapes you would find at many gyms and it's more likely you'd find people who are supportive of your efforts to improve your health.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I really recommend walking as a first exercise after being sedentary. I started here a little over a month ago, and I've gradually worked my way up to one hour walks. Listen to your body. It's much better to progress slowly than to get an injury that will set you back for weeks.
  • tnsons
    tnsons Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Totally agree - WALK that is all you need to do - get a pedometer I have a fitbit absolutly the best money I have ever spent. Then start walking - You don't even start off fast or for long just add a few more steps everyday - and Good for you!!!! You can do this! Once you get stronger and start seeing results you will want to add to it but don't worry about that yet.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Memorize these words: "You can't out-train a bad diet"

Honestly, if I were in your situation I wouldn't exercise intensely just yet... not until you have your food issues comfortably sorted out. If you insist, go on short walks for 20 minutes or so a day.
  • deepuckett1
    deepuckett1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was in your shoes....we have all been. But you have gotten good advice already - - start slow. Love to walk to Leslie. If you are checking out youtube vids, search Zumba workouts. You will be surprised how much it does not seem like exercise. Good luck MFP friend!
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am also on the "walking" train. I am 45 and weighed 272 lbs on January 11, 2013. I started walking about 30 minutes 3X's a week, kept track of my steps with a pedometer, and really watched what I ate (usually around 1650 calories a day--mainly fruits/vegetables/lean meat/whole grains--light on the processed foods). I am up to at least 30 minutes of walking every day (usually closer to an hour). Just by making these changes, I have lost 50 lbs in 5 months. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation a few years ago. :flowerforyou:
    I highly recommend walking. Everyday. Even a short one. Even on the days when you don't eat well and you feel like giving up. Exercise isn't only for increasing your calorie deficit, it's a mood booster and if it's sunny out, you'll pick up a little extra Vitamin D. I lost my first 30ish pounds just walking and cutting portion sizes. (I've lost around 60 total and kept it off for 6 years--working on some new goals now)

I agree with the posters here, track your food daily. Very important. And don't cut calories drastically. It sets you up for failure. Trust me on this one...

And do see your doctor for a physical first, if you haven't already.

Also, take measurements! (I do bust, waist, abdomen, hips, thigh and upper arm) It's helpful for seeing results when the number on the scale won't budge.

Best to you!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I also really recommend walking to start with. When I started, I was 338 pounds, and could barely walk a mile. But I have lost almost all of the weight I have lost with walking as my primary means of exercise. I now hike long distances, swim, and bike. But walking got me a LONG way. And it is easy on your body starting out.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    ALSO LIKE THE LESLIE SANSONE VIDEOS. THEY ARE ON YOU TUBE START WITH 1 MILE WALK
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ALSO LIKE THE LESLIE SANSONE VIDEOS. THEY ARE ON YOU TUBE START WITH 1 MILE WALK

Broken record here ...... Leslie is great to start with. You can do them at your own pace. They are not just walking ...... kicks & knee lifts get your abs involved, side steps are great for your hips & thighs. When you're ready, add some light handweights .... these will up the intensity and add just a "smidge" of strength training.

You can get DVDs at Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy .... DVDs are chaptered nicely and you can skip around. This DVD comes with a resistance band (for some of that upper body toning) .....http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/leslie-sansones-just-walk-3-mega-miles-6220

If you don't like Leslie .... there are plenty more instructors out there.....

Jessica Smith (voluntarily) put some of here walks on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4IH12Piuf4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z5DKiwdbEU
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Everyone else is really smart ;) start slow if you haven't exercised for a long time. I was in your shoes a few months ago...I am 36 and was 265 lbs. when I started and couldn't even jump to save my life. I started off slow with Wii Just Dance and Zumba...just did it at my own pace having fun dancing :) Now I'm burning so many calories and can move around much easier. I also do the Leslie Sansone walk workouts and they are amazing,,found some other cardio workouts on youtube too that I do....It's been 2 months and I've lost 30 lbs. by doing 60 minutes of any cardio and eating a healthy diet :) I am now able to do jumping jacks..which I never thought I could do....You can do it!!