Locker room routine- any tips?

Options
A branch of my gym is 2 minutes from my work. I'm trying to go in the morning. Any tips or tricks to make getting ready at the gym more manageable? Definitely adding shower shoes to my bag.

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Dont use the hand dryers to dry your personal bits. For some reason old dudes like to do that. Not a good way to make friends at the gym.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Assuming you won't be able to keep your stuff in a locker all day--take a plastic bag for your dirty (WET) gym clothes!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Don't drop the soap
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to start doing the same thing, so I bought a set of those plastic travel bottles for shampoo, shower gel, & conditioner. I'd rather not lug big bottles to & from the gym.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You're going to shampoo, condition, and dry your hair at the gym?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'd get dry shampoo, or get a two in one shampoo conditioner. Depending on your hair there are styles you can do with it just towel dried. I'm going to be going to the gym in the morning here soon. Here's what I've come up with as a locker room routine, I'll tweak it as I get going.

Stop in, put things in locker, separate the shower bag/shower shoes and towel from the main bag for easy access. Plastic bag for nasty clothes on the top.
    Go work out
    Back to the locker room for cleanup.
    Strip and put nasty clothes in bag. Grab the shower bag and towel, go shower, wash hair.
    Back to the locker for a quick towel drying of my hair, hair in a bun.
    Basic makeup, tinted moisturizer, mascara, lipgloss, eyebrow pencil.
    Deodorant and clothes, socks and shoes while sitting on bench to avoid damp socks.
    Makeup bag, nasty clothes in the plastic bag(with shower shoes), grab it and go.

Some of my friends who go regularly in the morning or between classes say that you can be in and out of the locker room after working out in 15 minutes or less if it's not crowded.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Wear flip flops to shower with.

Foot fungus runs among us.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Its not a huge help but I have two bags - one for shower type stuff (shamppe, deoderant, brush etc) that is constant. That stays in my office or car all the time (or is dropped/picked up by the front door daily ). On laundry day, i separate out clothes for work for every day that week, plus pick out everything for the gym days that week. Each is put into piles or grocery bags by day.

Get up in the morning, pick up a gym pile and put it on. Put work clothes pile for day in bag. Grab toiletry bag on way out the door. Get to gym, drop off both bags in locker. Workout. Shower/etc put work clothes on and gym clothes in bag. Get home that night, drop off toiletry bag by door (I actually have a gym at my office, so I typically just leave it there ) , empty clothes bag into laundry and set it by the individual clothes piles for morning.

I found almost all the wasted time in the morning I had was due to picking out what I was going to wear to gym and work, so I just set aside time on Sundays along with food prep for the week. makes things a lot easier. I also prep all my food for the next day the night before, set things at the front of the fridge, put nonfridge items on the counter etc. Sometimes I even make a handwritten list of things to check I have before I walk out (phone, wallet, keys, etc).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have doubles of most things so that I don't have to constantly pack and unpack shampoo, conditioner, other hair stuff. I pack the whole bag the night before.

I always take a few plastic grocery bags. One for dirty clothes, one for my wet towel, and then one more because I always end up needing it for some reason. It's actually easier for me to get ready at the gym instead of at home because I don't have any interruptions.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Agree with others about the plastic bags for your dirty clothes. I have made the mistake of leaving them in my gym bag in a hot car all day at work and it is not pleasant to come back to. Now I put the bag with my sweaty clothes in the trunk, don't know why it took me so long to figure that out!

I also do a minimalist job of getting ready on morning workout days (only once a week for me). I do my makeup in the car on the way to work (super safe, obviously), I eat breakfast when I get to work, and I usually wear my hair up those days. I wash it every 3 days so I plan that around not having to wash it on morning workout days. You can always quickly blow dry if it gets sweaty.
  • brilynn79
    brilynn79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Great tips guys. I bought a few microfiber shower towel wraps and hair turbans at Addis this week. Hopefully they will cut down in space. Picking out clothing before hand definitely saved me time.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You're going to shampoo, condition, and dry your hair at the gym?

Well after swimming, yes. I just towel dry it and tie it up in a bun so it doesn't drip on my clothes. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes. What I honestly can't deal with is the nudity - my gym doesn't have shower stalls so there's just a bunch of naked people everywhere. Not used to that at all :/ I'm the awkward one still wearing my bathing suit and changing in the toilet stall....need to get over that....
    aylajane wrote: »
    Its not a huge help but I have two bags - one for shower type stuff (shamppe, deoderant, brush etc) that is constant. That stays in my office or car all the time (or is dropped/picked up by the front door daily ). On laundry day, i separate out clothes for work for every day that week, plus pick out everything for the gym days that week. Each is put into piles or grocery bags by day.

Get up in the morning, pick up a gym pile and put it on. Put work clothes pile for day in bag. Grab toiletry bag on way out the door. Get to gym, drop off both bags in locker. Workout. Shower/etc put work clothes on and gym clothes in bag. Get home that night, drop off toiletry bag by door (I actually have a gym at my office, so I typically just leave it there ) , empty clothes bag into laundry and set it by the individual clothes piles for morning.

I found almost all the wasted time in the morning I had was due to picking out what I was going to wear to gym and work, so I just set aside time on Sundays along with food prep for the week. makes things a lot easier. I also prep all my food for the next day the night before, set things at the front of the fridge, put nonfridge items on the counter etc. Sometimes I even make a handwritten list of things to check I have before I walk out (phone, wallet, keys, etc).

Your organization skills are amazing and are an inspiration. That's just awesome. I should aim for something like that before school starts.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh. I'm a dry shampoo girl. I hate over washing my hair but get it if you are using the pool.