How many calories should I eat back?

I'm a 23 yr old female and I weigh 154 pounds.. I eat 1400 calories each day but I also cycle often.. anywhere between 8-22 miles most days. I've only been cycling for about 2 weeks though so I can't cycle very fast.. just at a steady speed, probably 9 or 10 mph. Should I increase my calorie intake or..?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited August 2015
    MFP over inflates calorie burns, so a lot of people, including myself, eat back 50% of what MFP gives you.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    50-75% of your exercise calories to compensate for any inaccuracies.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Logging it as exercise?

Based of mfp exercise or using some heart rate monitor?

Generally it's 50-75% exercise calories eaten back. Taking into account most over estimate exercise and under estimate food.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    kkenseth wrote: »
    MFP over inflates calorie burns, so a lot of people, including myself, eat back 50% of what MFP gives you.
    I had to make similar adjustments based on trial and error with exercise calorie burn rates.
    Once I hit my zone, I ate every single calorie down to the final crumb.
    If I had 1 calorie left at day's end, I licked a lollipop or something... >:)
  • kk_inprogress
    I had to make similar adjustments based on trial and error with exercise calorie burn rates.

Yup! I hear that. I haven't played around with it enough yet, but I have a feeling I could get a lot closer.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member

Yup! I hear that. I haven't played around with it enough yet, but I have a feeling I could get a lot closer.
    After logging foods and exercise for about 4 years, I got so good at it that I stopped logging altogether.
    I just sort of know the calories as well as macro breakdown just by sight as well as exercise burn.

My morning weight is usually right where I want it.

• kk_inprogress

After logging foods and exercise for about 4 years, I got so good at it that I stopped logging altogether.
    I just sort of know the calories as well as macro breakdown just by sight as well as exercise burn.

My morning weight is usually right where I want it.

That's awesome. I've been at it since January and I am getting significantly better at adding up without logging. I'm sure at some point I'll be on your train. I have a lot of recomp to do first though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    In the end it comes down to trial and error. Eat back 50-75% or all of your exercise calories. The scale will let you know if you're on the right track.
  • aliciamahoney1251
    aliciamahoney1251 Posts: 21 Member

I thought that too about MFP! Thank you
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    50-75% of your exercise calories to compensate for any inaccuracies.

+1
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I underestimate what I'm doing (I run a 9 minute mile and I put it in as a 12 minute mile) and I eat back half of those.