End of day one and I'm flagging

Options
End of day one and I fear I may have set unrealistic targets :frown:
I figured it was better to start with a tough target (1250 calories a day) and see if I could do it.
Exercised more so that I could add some calories and have a couple of beers. But now I've got 600 calories left for dinner today and I'm hungry!! 600 calorie dinner sounds pretty miserable.
Help!

Replies

• jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    it really isn't that bad. A 6 inch sub from subway has less then that or a healthy choice dinner. Baked chicken and rice will probably keep you under that even with a salad. You can do this! The first few days suck but its sooooo worth it!
  • Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would change to more realistic goals for your self. You really don't need to starve to lose weight. I eat 1520 a day and I'm losing about 1-1.5 a week. The harder your goals are, the harder it is going to be for you to stick with the program. You can do this. Just re-evaluate your goals, and take it slower! :)
  • Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also, I have attached a link for some recipes (filling recipes) under 600 cals

http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/2013/02/4-meals-under-600-calories
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I eat between 400-500 calories per meal, sometimes a bit more and about 350 calories in snacks......a seven oz salmon steak has about 350 calories, then I add asapargus (a lot, because I love it) and a half a sweet potato. That's just a sample of one of my dinners. My diary is open, you can look through and see if it helps :)
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    600 calories can make an AMAZING dinner! Think of it in terms of you have roughly half your calories left for just one meal! And if it's not enough, you could always try for an after dinner stroll :). Good luck!!
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My go to is always a 3 egg omlette with veggies and cheese, depending on what ya put in it can range from 350-500 cals and is filling and full of protein
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    it is what you eat - you could have a HUGE egg white omelet, grilled chicken and some veggies, tuna, it just depends on what you like and planning
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    600 calories for dinner isn't enough?! wow and i think my occasional 500 calorie dinners are bad. granted, on the weekend i will eat more calories for dinner due to eating out, but during the week and most sundays my dinner is no where NEAR 600 calories. i try to eat move calorie heavy breakfasts and lunches and then just a light dinner with plenty of veggies.
  • epccoo
    epccoo Posts: 4
    Options
    For me, it was more realistic to eat 1450 calories then anything in the 1200 range. If I am starving I am more likely to binge eat. The first week was the worst at 1450 but now I have figured out what foods work and what don't. I think you will have more success if you consume more calories. I would be an angry hungry lady in the 1200 range!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    "Well here are two long-term weight management truisms for you. If you can't happily eat less, you're not going to eat less. And if you can't happily exercise more, you're not going to exercise more. Next time you're considering a new diet or other weight-loss technique, ask yourself a simple question: "Could I happily continue living this way?" If the answer is no, you're just wasting your time. Ultimately, weight lost through suffering almost always finds its way back. You need to like your life." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a lot of veggies with some sort of meat for dinner, and it's always under 600 calories. Last night I had a sweet potato, salmon, and broccoli. I try and fill half my plate with vegetables so it doesn't leave much room for other foods.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Two things: first, do try to set your weight loss target to something other than 2 lb. MFP allows you to go for the maximum loss target, but it's not recommended for a reason. 1 or 1.5 lb a week is more than sufficient. Also, if you used the default MFP settings, it is expecting you to log your exercise calories--if you go for a run or an unusually long walk, enter it so you get to eat more.

Second, you can make dinner with 600 calories, but it takes some care. You would have to use relatively little oil and bulky, hearty foods, such as beans and whole grains and vegetables. I would suggest picking up a good cookbook if you do not cook for yourself regularly, and use the recipes feature of the food section of MFP--you can enter your own or look for other people's recipes. You do have to weigh and measure everything, but then you have to do that anyway.

Good luck!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    "Well here are two long-term weight management truisms for you. If you can't happily eat less, you're not going to eat less. And if you can't happily exercise more, you're not going to exercise more. Next time you're considering a new diet or other weight-loss technique, ask yourself a simple question: "Could I happily continue living this way?" If the answer is no, you're just wasting your time. Ultimately, weight lost through suffering almost always finds its way back. You need to like your life." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

That's a terrific quote; so true.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well it's only day 1. So it was just a test, and that plan failed. YOU didn't fail, the plan did. Now research the threads for other ideas that might work better for you. Try key words like TDEE, Scooby, level obstacles, ipoarm, IIFYM, and that should give you a good start to find numbers for cals you can actually work with and lose weight on.
  • Pumpitusa
    Pumpitusa Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is great advice..Experts say you actually have to eat to lose weight the healthy way. You needs food to burn. Maybe do alittle research to learn more so you don't hurt yourself. When you are done you want to be fit not thin. Good luck and we're behind you all the way.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Tip: make one meal of the day a HUGE bowl of leafy greens with grilled chicken (or salmon) and add avocado for healthy fat. Use salsa instead of salad dressing.

Everyone has something that works for them. This keeps me full during the heart of the day when I am most hungry.

Good Luck!
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    600 cals for dinner!!!???? :noway:

My go-to is a bowl of mixed veggies -- usually corn, peas, sliced carrots, and green beans. Add in some beans -- black, kidney, white, garbonzo, etc.. A sprinkle of parmesan does wonders if plain vegetables isn't easy for you. Ta-Da! Mine comes up to 200-300 calories, depending on the ratio.

1.5 cups green beans -- I LOOOOOOOVE them :love:
    1/4 or 1/3 cup corn
    1/4 or 1/3 cup peas
    2/3 cup carrots
    1/3 - 2/3 cup beans
    1 TBSP parmesan
    add spices -- Mrs Dash, garlic, fresh cracked pepper, etc

oh, and I usually add a faux meat, 1/2 "chicken" scallopini adds some 7g protein (Vegetarian!!)

This leaved plenty of room for a meat, side dish, or whatever suits your fancy :smile:

PS: Eat more!! 1400 might be a better place to start :flowerforyou:
  • MeAnTtOBeThIn
    MeAnTtOBeThIn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I too just started, and when I only had 600 calories left for dinner, I was worried...but it's very easy.
    And for beer, Drink MGD64...only 64 calories and curves the need for a cold one :)
  • kgraves3
    kgraves3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You could try upping your calorie intake a bit, or you could try to stick with it a few more days. I eat 1200 calories a day for weight loss, and I really don't find it difficult most days, especially if I exercise. That being said, there were days in the beginning where it was difficult. But it got easier, and it got easier fast. Especially once those first 10 pounds came off. After that, it wasn't hard at all anymore. Really, it does get easier.
    600 calorie dinner? That would be a HUGE splurge meal for me nowadays. I can't remember the last time I took in so many calories in one sitting. That's half my daily calories at once! These things are habits, and you do sometimes have to force it at first. That's the most important thing to understand about weight loss: it requires a lifestyle change, and that requires willpower. Some days will be harder than others. Some days won't be 1250 kcal days, and that's okay. But you should aim to make most days 1250 kcal days.

This is not to say that what worked for me will work for you. I'm just sharing my experience in hopes that knowing that it gets easier over time will be encouraging to you.

As a side note, I do very rarely drink now, in order to keep my calories under control. For me, not being hungry was a higher priority than having a drink in the evening. But you have to determine what YOUR priorities are, and if you have a weakness for a particular treat (say, a beer), then it's important to keep that in mind and make room for it in your diet when need be. A relevant tip: planning your meals ahead of time can make your life sooo much easier, and I highly advise doing so. Allows you to more precisely control your calorie intake, and cuts down on mindless snacking.