2 Quick 5x5 Questions

Options
1. I'm in the 3rd month of the program and have totally stalled on the weights. It's discouraging. I have a lot of stressors at home so my nutrition and sleep are lacking. Should I add more weight and do less reps?

2. When should I start wearing a belt?

5'8" 143 lbs female
squat: 105
overhead press: 55 (can't do all 5x5)
bench: 65
row: 65
deadlift: 135

Replies

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    When I started feeling set to fail I moved to mad cow. The gains are slower but it's still 5x5 3 times a week. I add my own accessories.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    blackcoffeeandcherrypie Posts: 486 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You know, there's a great 5x5 group for ladies. It might help to ask this question there also?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • rocket03
    rocket03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/is-stronglifts-5x5-the-right-training-program-for-you.html
    This should answer your first question. It is what I used when I started 5×5. Hope it helps
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you've stalled out on 5x5 at a particular weight (2x? 3x? I can't seem to remember off the top of my head, but it doesn't truly matter), you're supposed to reset 10% and build back up. If you stall out again, then you reset 10% again and go to 3x5 (for that lift), not 5x5. That should get you past the weight you stalled out at. When you stall out (completely, as above) at 3x5, you reset 10% and go to 1x5. Then (or instead of 1x5, your choice), you go to an intermediate program.

This, of course, is if your form is good. I wouldn't be shocked if, considering you're stalling at those weights, your form is off. Any way you can post vids, so we can see if there is anything you need to fix?
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    That is textbook StrongLifts 5x5 routine. Grab the ap from the official web site ( http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ ), and follow the program. It will tell you when to deload, change reps, etc., all in the basic free version.

You can also read the methodology/recommendations on that site for what to do with rep failures.

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    That is textbook StrongLifts 5x5 routine. Grab the ap from the official web site ( http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ ), and follow the program. It will tell you when to deload, change reps, etc., all in the basic free version.

You can also read the methodology/recommendations on that site for what to do with rep failures.

I agree with this. Follow the program protocols, and also check your forms.

I wouldn't worry about a belt for awhile, if at all. You shouldn't need one this early if you're doing everything correctly.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    1. I'm in the 3rd month of the program and have totally stalled on the weights. It's discouraging. I have a lot of stressors at home so my nutrition and sleep are lacking. Should I add more weight and do less reps?

Deloading. It's a strategy that Mehdi advocates for StrongLifts 5x5. You take a week and back off 10%, and re-start the progression. It can work. But so can moving to a more intermediate lifting program, like Madcow or DUP,
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    2. When should I start wearing a belt?

On heavy lifts (squat and dead) when you're doing 70% or more of your 1RM. At least, that's what I've read, and what's personally what I go by in the gym.

For that reason, I tend to do ladder/progression sets with Squats and Deadlift during a single workout. The sets I do below 70% of my 1RM, I go without a belt, to help build the core. Once the weight goes above 70% of 1RM, I put the belt on.