How did you decide your target weight?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering what strategies others have used to decide their target weight? If you have used a weight calculator, which one did you think was best?

I've just done a few and the BMI seemed pretty unhelpful as it gave me a range from 107 to 145 lbs. Some of the others seemed more specific, but there's still quite a range, from 120 to 129 lbs.

Thank you!

Also, I'm new on here, so please add me as a friend if you'd be into supporting each other.

Replies

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. Just pick something that sounds reasonable. Once you get close to goal, you might readjust it, Or you might not. Best of luck on your journey. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    First, I wanted to get down to what I was 4 years ago ... within my BMI range, but near the top end. I've been that weight several times in my life and it's all right.

I got there mid-June.

Then I figured that getting to that weight had been amazingly easy ... so why not try for a weight I haven't been since about 2005. Closer to the bottom end of the BMI range.

That's where I'm headed now. :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's up to you. Just pick something that sounds reasonable. Once you get close to goal, you might readjust it, Or you might not. Best of luck on your journey. :)

That's what I did when I lost my big weight - started at 178, thought, "eh, I probably won't get further than 150, so I'll go for that", but stuck with the lifestyle changes (because they had a huge impact on me in 10 million ways, losing weight was the least important of them), and wound up at 124.

I think picking a conservative goal is good bc it's way more attainable, so it's motivating when you reach it, and you don't feel you have this huge stretch ahead.
  • PollyEH
    PollyEH Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, that's really helpful. I think I'll adjust mine up to something a bit more achievable than it is now way down the bottom of the BMI range. Best of luck to you all.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Personally. Let me start by saying that I don't recommend being zealous about a target weight. It's good to have something to aim for. But overly focusing on attaining a goal that proves unreasonable will only cause you to backslide. Happened to me so yeah .. I know. The truth is once you feel healthy and happy and comfortable in your skin your done. With that borne in mind however I have given myself a rough goal by taking the numbers most website calculators give me (about 208lbs ideal) and rounding it up a bit because I am a very large person regardless of the fat.

It depends on your goals too. If you just want to be healthy the numbers going to be higher. If you want defined abs your gonna have to shoot lower.

So honestly weight should be a way of tracking progress and only loosely associated with your goals. Which should be feeling healthy and being comfortable with the way you look.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I looked at my BMI range, though about the thinnest that I had ever been as an adult and asked several of my doctors for feedback since I have some health issues and an unusual body type. They all suggested the same number.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I chose my top BMI ...when it got near I looked at my body and was happy ...I aimed for maintenance but misjudged and kept losing ...now it try to stick at a BMI of around 24 (so within 5lbs of 160)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I think the idea is a weight range. You would go made trying to maintain exact weights.

But for my goal I just picked the high end of the healthy BMI. At the time it was some distant future so I didn't put too much thought into it.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just want to be within "healthy" BMI and have a "healthy" waist measurement. The upper limit, and what I'd be happy with, is 137 lbs and 30 inches for my height. (5'2")

Sure there's always going to be a range of acceptable healthy weights - that's good because each person is a unique individual with different genetics and life histories. A weight for a young thin-boned Chinese woman might not be realistic for an older thick-boned German woman. But they can both be healthy even at different weights & BMIs.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I've gone for the weight i used to be when i was at my most confident about my body-would love to fit back into my old clothes!
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I set my target back to where I was comfortable after I had my kids, in the middle of the healthy BMI range. I definitely knew it was time to stop when I found size 2's to be llose and am having a hard time finding appropriate size 0's that don't come from the Jr dept. At 54 that is definitely not a good look :o I am a little under 5', but larger boned so I really couldn't imagine going lower at this point despite being10 pounds heavier than I was way back when I got married, although I am working on the toning up, stretching and strengthening part. You just have to shoot for where you personally are comfortable.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I picked where I have been before thinking, "If I can get close to that I'd be super happy." I'll probably do some assessing and recomp then decide if I want to get down to some other smaller weights I have been in the past. I looked really good at 140 lb size 8... It's personal preference for me...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    First BMI to the normal range, after that going by looks.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm setting mini goals along the way. First to be below 90kg, then to a BMI in the overweight range not obese, then I'll see how I'm going and decide what's next - maintain or keep on going.
  • Karmyeboo
    Karmyeboo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't really do BMI because they don't take into account muscle and also like another person has said, genetics build us differently and most importantly different people are happy at different weights.

At 5'2, BMI tells me I should weigh between 104-132lbs*.

Currently at 161lbs I think I would be happy at 150lbs - however once reached this I will re evaluate..

My goal weight could be somewhere between 145-133lbs (lower end)

As in when I get to one of those numbers I'll give my self 5lb room space
    145-150lbs or 140lbs-145lbs.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My BMI! I've got 15 lbs to go to reach the 'healthy' bmi. When I reach there, I might re-evaluate my target weight. B)
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be at the high end of my bmi range with a lower bodyfat %. I'm about 24 or so pounds away, weight wise.

My scale rates me at 16.5% bodyfat currently. I've seen pictures of guys at that bodyfat and I am thinking my scale is probably not reading something right, because they definitely have more visible muscle than I do.
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had a weight goal for the past many many years. I hit that target 10lbs ago and decided to keep going. I aimed for another 10lbs, and once I hit that, I lowered it again. As I'm hitting each goal, I just see how I feel and look. If I'm not thrilled, I keep going. My problem now is consistently incorporating exercise into my daily life. That's the goal I'm working on now!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I picked the high end of the range for my age and height. I'm not really focused on that though, just on losing some weight. If I actually get to that, well that would be great. We will see.... But I'm just going one pound at a time.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to get back to the weight I was in my early 20s again...