Calories vs fat vs carbs vs protein

Options
Hi,
I would really appreciate some help!
I have recently got back on the health watch and trying to lose 60lbs.
I have been calorie under all week and finding it good so far. My only concern is the nutrition especially fat, carbs and protein. I'm trying not to eat breads, pasta etc and keep the carbs down but today already I am over on my fat, but this was from mackerel, Brazil nuts and yogurt. Should I be worried about these or just focus on the calories? what ideally should the ratio be between the 3 groups? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!
Thank you

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary but MFPs standard 20% protein etc is a reasonable place to start.

If eating more fat and less carbs within the same calories that's cool too. You can change your macro % via Custom Goal Setting but it may have a bug at the moment and not save your changes.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been calorie under all week and finding it good so far. My only concern is the nutrition especially fat, carbs and protein. I'm trying not to eat breads, pasta etc and keep the carbs down but today already I am over on my fat, but this was from mackerel, Brazil nuts and yogurt. Should I be worried about these or just focus on the calories? what ideally should the ratio be between the 3 groups? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!
    Thank you

The exact ideal percentages will vary from person to person, depending on your preferences, goals, and any medical issues. Generally starting out with the MFP default percentages is the best way, unless you are under a doctor's orders to lower a particular macro (like diabetics are often told to lower their total carbs a bit).

If you are consistently over in a particular macro, you might want to look back in your diary and see why, and change things up to come back in line a bit more, but otherwise you really don't need to be too concerned. Most people without health issues have a wide range of what they can eat. You want to eat what you enjoy, keeps you from getting hungry, and gives you enough energy throughout your day. Just stay within your calorie target.

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thank you

If the primary goal at this time is to limit simple carbs, then we would need to know what goals you have right now for macros.

Calories are primary concern for loss, but appropriate macro goals for your situation can assist loss and increase health.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I liked 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein when losing. It's what kept me the fullest.

I also always consider fat and protein was minimums, and don't really care about carbs.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I go 1g of protein per pound of weight. Yeah, yeah, probably overkill but I like protein and it keeps me full.

25-30% of total calories from fat.

The rest from carbs.

I don't mind eating a little more protein or fat at the expense of carbs.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I prefer to focus on grams per body weight for my macros, as opposed to percentages of diet. Hit my protein and fat minimums, let carbs fall where they may.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Should I be worried about these or just focus on the calories?

At first focus on calories and then see how you did on the macros and decide if it would be helpful to focus on them or adjust them. Usually it is if you are feeling hungry more often than you should or lack energy. The one exception is that I would try even from the beginning to hit your protein.

Don't worry if you are over on fats or carbs (or protein, of course) but within your calories. It's calories that matter for weight loss.
    what ideally should the ratio be between the 3 groups? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!
    Thank you

MFP's default ratios are one of many perfectly good breakdowns. I found that I naturally tended to eat a bit more fat and protein and a bit fewer carbs when cutting calories (and in general), but it really tends to vary by person. I'd start with MFP's and if you are falling way outside them (not just on one day) figure out if it might be worth trying to change that.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I go 1g of protein per pound of weight. Yeah, yeah, probably overkill but I like protein and it keeps me full.

25-30% of total calories from fat.

The rest from carbs.

I don't mind eating a little more protein or fat at the expense of carbs.

If you're relatively lean already, than that much protein probably isn't overkill. It's satiating and has a high thermic effect, which makes it the ideal diet food.