heres a weird one?

Options
so i used MFP BMR calculator - and its coming up with 1751 calories so if i was to do nothing all day this is what i would burn..however!!
when calculating a 2lb loss its giving me 1300 calories.. this is really low, i thought a deficit should be bewteen your bmr and your tdee?
or have i got confused?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

To understand how MFP works, read the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Is your activity level set to sedentary?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A deficit can be below your BMR.

And losing two pounds per week requires a 1000 calorie a day deficit. MFP won't go under 1200 for a woman.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    yes as i work all day at a desk.. so this would be without any exercise..
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Im currently using the TDEE method and was just playing around with my totals thats when i found out my bmr
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I thought BMR was the total amount of calories your body burns while comatose (and would therefore be the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight when factoring in NO physical activity)?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I thought BMR was the total amount of calories your body burns while comatose (and would therefore be the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight when factoring in NO physical activity)?

^^ correct.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Consider what would happen if you could ask for, say, a 4 pound a week loss ...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lower the aggressiveness of your goal.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

To understand how MFP works, read the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

That's generally good advice, considering MFP is maxed out at 2lbs/week, but 0.5lbs/week for every 25lbs overweight would mean that I would have to lose 4.5-5lbs/week lol

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    not to hijack- what deficit is recommended for those with barely any to lose, like 5-10lbs? .25 lbs a week?
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    So technically if I lay in a coma and my bmr was 1750 calories then technically I could lose 1lb a week? Cus that's way it's giving me if I choose to lose 1lb a week
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So technically if I lay in a coma and my bmr was 1750 calories then technically I could lose 1lb a week? Cus that's way it's giving me if I choose to lose 1lb a week

Being in a coma and being sedentary are two different things. Even if you're sedentary, you're still going to get up and brush your teeth, walk to the bathroom, burn extra calories. Putting sedentary as your activity level adds calories to your bmr so you'd probably still be at maintenance in a coma.

Which is what you'd probably want since you have to like...fight to stay alive and stuff. :p

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    not to hijack- what deficit is recommended for those with barely any to lose, like 5-10lbs? .25 lbs a week?

I didn't realize MFP allowed for 0.25 lb per week. But sure - that or 0.5 should be fine.