Breast feeding

Options
if im breast feeding and it says 1,200 for calories how much should I have ?

Replies

• NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    you should always add 300-400 a day when you are breastfeeding.
  • KendraMariexO
    KendraMariexO Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ok so instead of going by 1200 do 1500 ? So add that up on my own? :) thank. You
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    Options
    Yes, I'm really surprised they don't ask that question when you set up your profile.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    Options
    Every body is different. You may have to adjust your calories. The key indicator is to watch your supply. If your supply drops, you need to add some calories. Play with it until you have a stable supply.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would play around with it, but yes, adjust it yourself - or set to maintenance and let your BF calories be what you are losing (about 1 lb per week if you are nursing a newborn). Then just lower or raise your calories based on what you are losing or how your supply is (too low of calories and your supply may tank).

Personally, I was 195 with a 2 year old nursing 4-6x per day, set MFP to 1/lb per week and am not adding back in my BF calories. If I was starving or my supply tanked I planned to add more calories, but it seems fine now (been doing this about a month) I lost 10 lbs, so probably some water weight too, and LO is not complaining. (I've been eating between 1500-1800 typically, and eat back part of my exercise calories if I have any).
  • freesiasun5
    freesiasun5 Posts: 3,122 Member
    Options
    Human milk contains about 22 calories per ounce, on average. So if you have an idea of how much milk you're producing, you can kind of multiply it out to see your need. The more you're producing, the higher your additional calorie needs.
  • Julia10morgan33
    Julia10morgan33 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can log breastfeeding in your food or exercise diary, it will add those calories burned to your daily calorie intake.
  • KendraMariexO
    KendraMariexO Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank u all:))