Half Ironman (Olympic) Triathlon - Arizona, 2016

Options
Hello MFP world - I'm currently slimming up, getting fit and toned, for a Half Ironman in 2016. I have found a few training guides online. First, I'm interested in friending and chatting with those who have completed a half or full Ironman. Second, if you have any advice to give I'd really appreciate it. Third, at just a bit over a year out, what would you recommend?

Thank you so much,

Steven

Replies

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've done two 70.3's. But a half Ironman triathlon (1.2mi swim, 56 mi bike, 13.1 mi run for 70.3 miles total) is more than twice as long as an Olympic tri (typically 1500m swim, 25 mi bike, 10k run)....so when you're looking at training guides, you want one for a 70.3, not for an oly. :)

That said...I started training in Sept last year. My first 70.3 was in mid-june (got pulled off the run course at 10.25 miles due to a thunderstorm)...for redemption, I did another 3 weeks later. :tongue: My training consisted of whatever my tri coach told me to do, which included working around ITBS in Sept/Oct, a mild ankle sprain at the end of March, and hamstring pain at the beginning of June (which I still have days that it bothers me).
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    With a year to go you are still in base building mode. Keep putting down solid swims, bikes and runs. Doesn't really even matter what you do - just get good volume.

When you get to about 16 weeks out, then the real work starts building for distance and maybe even speed.

And yea an Olympic and Half Iron are not even close to the same distance.