Calories in Omega 3 Oils

Options
AMRROL
AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
My doctor wants me to take more omega 3 oils for high triglycerides. I have no problem with that, but it adds about 200 calories to my daily intake. As I try to keep to 1,500 daily, that is a significant percentage of my daily calories. Yes I could take the oils in pill form, but I prefer a cold pressed natural organic blend that I get from my local health food store. This liquid blend uses plant based oils which I like.

Just wondering how other people account for the calories in vitamin supplements. To me, calories are calories, no matter where they come from. So I have been trying to reduce either dinner of lunch by appropriate amount to account for the supplements. But that means some fairly meager portions.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I take Fish Oil daily (if I do not plan to eat that day) , 1200 mg, one softgel is 10 calories. That is all I need in one day. where do you get the 200 calorie count ?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    200 for some Omega 3 supplements is way off...
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    200 calories would be ~22 grams of fat. That's approx 1.5 tablespoons.
    Is that how much you take?
  • AMRROL
    Options
    I take Fish Oil daily (if I do not plan to eat that day) , 1200 mg, one softgel is 10 calories. That is all I need in one day. where do you get the 200 calorie count ?

I take Vega Antioxidant Omega Oil Blend which is a blend of organic, cold-pressed, and unrefined hemp, flax, pumpkin seed and coconut oil. I also take an additional Flax capsule and Kirkland's Wild Alaskan Fish Oil capsule. On my salads I add either a 1/2 teaspoon of walnut or avocado oil. It adds up.
  • AMRROL
    Options

I take Vega Antioxidant Omega Oil Blend which is a blend of organic, cold-pressed, and unrefined hemp, flax, pumpkin seed and coconut oil. I also take an additional Flax capsule and Kirkland's Wild Alaskan Fish Oil capsule. On my salads I add either a 1/2 teaspoon of walnut or avocado oil. It adds up.
  • AMRROL
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    200 calories would be ~22 grams of fat. That's approx 1.5 tablespoons.
    Is that how much you take?

Yes, that is about the amount I take. I like the blend that I am taking now due to it's variety of different plant based oils. Tastes fairly bad, but I put it on salads instead of dressings.
  • andrikosDE
    Options
    Keep in mind the plant omega 3s are nowhere near the same as the fish omega 3s.

If you want nice nails and hair the plant omega 3s are for you.
    If you want cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory benefits, stick to the fish omega 3s.
  • AMRROL
    Options

If you want cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory benefits, stick to the fish omega 3s.

Thanks for that info. I never knew that
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just stick to 2 1500mg fish oil capsules= 30 calories
  • andrikosDE
    Options
    AMRROL wrote: »

Thanks for that info. I never knew that

Take the omega 3 rich plant oils and incorporate them to your salad dressing.
    no reason to take it by itself.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If you're taking a concentrated omega-3 supplement, you don't need to be spending 200 calories on omega-3 fats a day for supplementary purposes. I take Arctic D Cod Liver Oil from Nordic Naturals, and it has 1050 milligrams of omega-3's per doseage. A dose is a teaspoon and accounts for 45 calories of my daily intake. While you can't really overdose on omega-3's, you can consume too many calories from them, and there is a certain threshold where eating more of them won't offer you any additional benefit. You've reached that threshold. Take a single, quality fish oil like I do. Nordic Naturals, Barleen's, and NOW are all good brands. I work in a health food store, so I give this kind of advice out to customers all the time. People always tend to think that more is better, but the benefits of any supplement always tend to taper off as you increase how much you're taking fish oils and other omega-3's are no different.
  • AMRROL
    Options
    Every time I take a fish oil capsule, my scalp and arms itch. No such problems with the plant based omega 3s. I am going to ask my doctor to order blood tests to see if I has developed a sensitivity to fish and shellfish. This started a few months ago.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Olive oil could be something to use instead. You can find it in olive oil dressings. It's very filling.