AM I EATING TOO MUCH

Options
My profile says to eat almost 2000 calories?!? Is that too much? I don't do much exercise. I don't want to be eating more then i should for maximum weight loss.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight, then yes.

If you're losing weight, then no.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    What do you have your profile set for?
    Weight? Height? #of pounds you want to lose each week?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight?

If not, then yes, you are eating too much.

Depending on how much you have to lose, between half a pound and two pounds per week of weight loss is usually recommended around here.
  • mom4loss
    mom4loss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is my first day. I'm not sure what i should do.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Without knowing any of your stats, no one can even take an educated guess. You can try going back through the setup to be sure your profile is set accurately. Otherwise the only way to know is going to be trying it to see.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you have 170 lbs to lose, 2000 sounds like a reasonable starting target.
  • mom4loss
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Are you losing weight?
    I am trying for 2 a week
    If not, then yes, you are eating too much.

Depending on how much you have to lose, between half a pound and two pounds per week of weight loss is usually recommended around here.

• 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Maximum weight loss is not generally the goal around here. Most will tell you the goal is slow, healthy, consistent weight loss.

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request and a message!
  • mom4loss
    Options
    I'm sorry.. trying to figure out how to reply lol this app is tricky. Anyways, I'm alnost 5'10" trying to lose 170lbs.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    007Aggie wrote: »
    Maximum weight loss is not generally the goal around here. Most will tell you the goal is slow, healthy, consistent weight loss.

This. If it's your first day, make sure you're entered all your stats properly. Then, log honestly. Weigh absolutely all your solid foods on a food scale,especially calorie dense ones like cheese and nut butter (meat when raw, pasta and rice uncooked) measure all your liquids with measuring cups and spoons (including condiments, cooking oil, and beverages.) Log everything, even bites and snacks. Don't choose generic entries like "fish and chips" but try to make educated guesses ("three cod filets, battered and deep-fried" and "200g french fries, deep fried".) Use the Recipe Builder function when you cook your own meals (your food scale will also come in handy for this.)

You can enter your exercise into MFP, but be aware that it tends to overestimate calorie burns. Either don't eat the "extra" calories MFP gives you (especially if you've set your lifestyle to anything other than "sedentary" as it's already giving you extra calories for activity then) or only eat back up to half if you must.

Finally, have a look at the top of this forum where the "sticky" posts are posted. There is a TON of great information for newbies up there and it can answer a lot of your questions.

In two weeks, if you've been logging meticulously and still haven't seen a loss, you might want to look at adjusting your goal, but day one is too early.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Just a quick link to a couple of those sticky pinned posts, for ease of use

Posts about weight loss: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177910/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

Posts about exercise: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10178011/most-helpful-posts-fitness-and-exercise-must-reads#latest

Lots of great information to get you started. To answer your question, the amount you should eat in order to maintain a healthy loss really depends on what you weigh now. When you created your account, you put in your height and your weight and the amount you hope to lose each week. You CANNOT choose to loose more than 2 pounds per week. The application has done the math to figure out your target calories, so if you gave it good numbers, then it probably gave you a good number to start with. You can adjust your settings here if need be: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided. I second the opinion that you should use the food and activity log meticulously for at least 2 weeks before deciding to make changes, unless you have a specific recommendation otherwise from your doctor.

Good luck! :)
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    mom4loss wrote: »
    I'm sorry.. trying to figure out how to reply lol this app is tricky. Anyways, I'm alnost 5'10" trying to lose 170lbs.

I would say to set your daily activity to sedentary, set your goal to lose 2 pounds per week, start increasing your activity level, and stay within the calorie limit. I usually recommend 1 pound per week, but since you want to lose 170 pound 2 may be better.

If you can exercise, you should. Walking, biking, jogging, etc... this will add more calories to what you can eat each day, and will also curb your appetite some. It also improves your metabolism and makes your body more efficient at burning calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

I would say to set your daily activity to sedentary, set your goal to lose 2 pounds per week, start increasing your activity level, and stay within the calorie limit. I usually recommend 1 pound per week, but since you want to lose 170 pound 2 may be better.

If you can exercise, you should. Walking, biking, jogging, etc... this will add more calories to what you can eat each day, and will also curb your appetite some. It also improves your metabolism and makes your body more efficient at burning calories.

I agree. I usually suggest 1 or even .5 pounds but with 170 to lose I would say 2 pounds. And 2000 may still be what MFP gives you as your goal. If that is the case, then eat that amount. Reevaluate after 4 weeks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I guessed at your starting weight, put the rest of your stats into the system, and the result I got was within 20 calories of 2,000, so you did it right :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My profile says to eat almost 2000 calories?!? Is that too much? I don't do much exercise. I don't want to be eating more then i should for maximum weight loss.

I know exercise can be challenging when you have a lot of extra weight...weighing you down. Many people start with walking a little bit...and then gradually walking more.

Several people here have lost over a hundred pounds by starting with walking as their exercise.

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the advice from kshama2001.
    Calories look good, and if you can walk some do it, if not ok too.
    Good Luck.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Yes, that calorie goal for your height and the amount of weight you need to lose sounds about right. As you lose weight, your calorie goals will go down too.

II'm cheerfing for you!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I know exercise can be challenging when you have a lot of extra weight...weighing you down. Many people start with walking a little bit...and then gradually walking more.

Several people here have lost over a hundred pounds by starting with walking as their exercise.

Exeercise is not necessary to lose weight.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    2000 sounds about right.

I think what may be confusing is what you THINK 2000 calories seems like (lots!) vs. what 2000 REALLY looks like, weighed out on a food scale.