IF

Options
Hy guys, any benefits of doing intermittent fasting while bulking?.It can help you with insulin sensitivity?

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Avoiding food will not help you gain weight, but there is some evidence that fasting is good for your health in general.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    There is an IF group on here. Can't link, I'm on mobile but they'll have a ton of useful info in there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Avoiding food will not help you gain weight, but there is some evidence that fasting is good for your health in general.

what?

Do IF if it works for you. I personally don't like being hungry at night- I found myself sliding unknowningly into an IF style of eating without even knowing that's what it was called- I just didn't eat breakfast and started eating around 12-1 in the afternoon.

When you're bulking- the issue becomes how much volume of food can you fit in to your face in a shorter time frame without making yourself sick- that's really only the down side. If you reduce that window to like 4 hours- eating 3000+ calories in 4 hrs- daily- is a *kitten*.

Most people spread it out for practical purposes.

But you're free to eat all your calories in one meal if it works for you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

what?

Do IF if it works for you. I personally don't like being hungry at night- I found myself sliding unknowningly into an IF style of eating without even knowing that's what it was called- I just didn't eat breakfast and started eating around 12-1 in the afternoon.

When you're bulking- the issue becomes how much volume of food can you fit in to your face in a shorter time frame without making yourself sick- that's really only the down side. If you reduce that window to like 4 hours- eating 3000+ calories in 4 hrs- daily- is a *kitten*.

cosign
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

what?

cosign

++1
  • Bansh3e
    Bansh3e Posts: 71 Member
    Options

what?

Yes i now, but I will have any benefits by using IF? like foods goes right to the muscle because insulin sensitivity..etc

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Bansh3e wrote: »
    Hy guys, any benefits of doing intermittent fasting while bulking?.It can help you with insulin sensitivity?

Yes, the key to a good bulk is clean eating with a slight surplus coupled with hard, smart training.
    The IF model has value when trying to either add more muscle with less fat...or cut weight and retain muscle while reducing body fat. As for insulin sensitivity, who knows?

I have experienced mild results with both.
    They come slowly, so IF is no fast acting miracle. I suggest people read up and just try it different ways. See for yourself.

I got results, but I know others who said it did nothing.

Good Luck!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

what?

Yes i now, but I will have any benefits by using IF? like foods goes right to the muscle because insulin sensitivity..etc

I'm going to say, no. I'm not a dietician or doctor, but that sounds a bit brosciency to me. Somebody else who has more knowledge may be able to answer that in a more technical way.

If that was true then I think we would know for sure. File it under broscience.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

what?

How did IF become a night-eating/breakfast skipping concept? I normally eat from around 9am-5pm...technically IF (it just works with my schedule). Who says someone doing IF is saving up for night time eating? I don't care what time any one eats, but this always confuses me how you only hear of IF'ers waiting until later in the day.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »

what?

How did IF become a night-eating/breakfast skipping concept? I normally eat from around 9am-5pm...technically IF (it just works with my schedule). Who says someone doing IF is saving up for night time eating? I don't care what time any one eats, but this always confuses me how you only hear of IF'ers waiting until later in the day.

From what I read in MFP forums it is because when some people eat breakfast too early then they have a problem staying within their daily calorie limit.

• Bansh3e
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

what?

I'm going to say, no. I'm not a dietician or doctor, but that sounds a bit brosciency to me. Somebody else who has more knowledge may be able to answer that in a more technical way.

That would be some awesome thing to happen.I write that because I thought that if you fast for a long period of time and you workout in a fasted state when you add food to your sistem it will go directly to the worked parts.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

what?

From what I read in MFP forums it is because when some people eat breakfast too early then they have a problem staying within their daily calorie limit.

Interesting...I guess I can relate. On Sundays I'm up early with the kids and try to get them out of the house for breakfast to let my husband sleep in (he does the same for me on Saturdays), so I end up eating early on Sundays and it does make it a little harder the rest of the day. But I've found most days if I wait until 8 or 9am, it's no problem for me to finish eating around 5, maybe 5:30pm and feel full for the night. Different strokes.
  • Bansh3e
    Options

what?

Interesting...I guess I can relate. On Sundays I'm up early with the kids and try to get them out of the house for breakfast to let my husband sleep in (he does the same for me on Saturdays), so I end up eating early on Sundays and it does make it a little harder the rest of the day. But I've found most days if I wait until 8 or 9am, it's no problem for me to finish eating around 5, maybe 5:30pm and feel full for the night. Different strokes.

That`s exactly IF, you fast for 16 eat for 8 , your body is fix with that .
  • yopeeps025
    Options

what?

I think it is a psychological more than anything else for me.

• yopeeps025
    Options

what?

That would be some awesome thing to happen.I write that because I thought that if you fast for a long period of time and you workout in a fasted state when you add food to your sistem it will go directly to the worked parts.

IDK about you but I cannot wait for my bulk phase. I will do it in a control fashion though.

• Bansh3e
    Options

what?

IDK about you but I cannot wait for my bulk phase. I will do it in a control fashion though.

M2 dude :))..I start my bulking phase next week,lean bulk, you?
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

what?

There are different variations with "IF" you know.......just sayin'
  • yopeeps025
    Options

what?

M2 dude :))..I start my bulking phase next week,lean bulk, you?

Not for another hopefully at max 20 pounds more to cut.