"Meatless Monday" Dish Ideas

Options

Replies

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Homemade baked beans - all time favourite and so versatile. Baked with garlick, leeks, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, kalamata olives, bay leaf. (meaty version is with chorizo sausages)
    Served with chunky avocado, sour cream and salsa with or without toritlla. Or with rocket salad and shaved parmesan. Or in a pita bread with feta and oregano.

can you break this into a recipe format for me please, ie how much of each item, how long & cooking temp etc? cheers! sounds yummy
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I love stuffed portobello mushrooms (the really big ones) - I get them already prepared at Albertsons/Krogers, but they would be easy enough to make yourself - two favorites - stuff the center of the mushroom with spinach leaves and mozzarella, season to taste with favorite seasonings, or put salsa/pico de gallo in the center of the mushroom and cover with cheddar. Bake or grill. Yummy! Serve with a side of steamed veggies, or a starchy side like rice or couscous.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Black bean enchiladas or lasagna are options. I like to cook a pot of dried beans - pintos, limas, etc.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TiraFit
    TiraFit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cook a half of less cup of lentils
    in blender add cooked lentils and a cup of any jar or home made sauce
    add blended mix to rest of sauce cook
    cook to warm and pour over pasta
    My children love it
    hearty with no meat
  • wanderlustlover
    wanderlustlover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes!

Also, I love this idea entirely!
  • shannonerdelyi
    shannonerdelyi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
    - Sauce: cream of mushroom soup, coconut milk, mushrooms, garlic, green onion, red pepper, parmesan (let it simmer to thicken while the squash is baking)
    - Spaghetti: bake a whole squash in the oven at 400 for about an hour, poking holes pre-bake so the squash can breathe

Eggplant Rollatini
    - Cut eggplant into thin, length-wise slices and let it sweat with salt for 30 mins
    - Optionally bread the eggplant and bake in the oven
    - Prepare a filling of your choice: ricotta and spinach is a classic (ricotta has a lot of protein, too)
    - Put some filling on the eggplant slices and roll them up
    - Bake them for 20 minutes with mozzarella and tomato sauce

Black Bean Burger (haven't actually made this... but I want to!)
    - Patties: combine food processed black beans, egg, and oats, with very finely chopped red pepper, onion, and garlic (plus salt, pepper, cumin). Form the patties and freeze them for 2 hours on wax paper before frying (to help keep their shape)
    - Sauce: mayo and canned chipotle
    Reference: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/spicy-black-bean-burgers-with-chipotle.html
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am a pscetarian, and my go to products when not eating seafood are: Quorn Meatless Chik' n cutlets, Gimme Lean "Sausage", and Morningstar Vegetarian Burgers.

I made meatloaf with the Gimme Lean Sausage (it's been a while since I've had it but t'was good)
    I made an delicious indian dish with Tasty Bite's Channa Masala,Tasty bite's lentils (i believe), and mixed veggies and added the chik' n cutlets
    I've heard the Quorn Meatballs are good for spaghetti
    I've used Tofurkey's kielbasa for an italian pasta dish
    Veggie burgers used in my vegetarian chili, vegetarian lasagna, and sandwiches.
    You can make quesadillas with pepers other veggies
    Loaded baked potato and salad
    Raw Kale salad (just recently made this)

Hope some of these ideas helped.
  • BenPolonowski
    BenPolonowski Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lately, I have been eating mostly vegetarian. I find many recipes off of Pinterest. Here is the link to my boards
    http://pinterest.com/benpolo/food/
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Homemade baked beans - all time favourite and so versatile. Baked with garlick, leeks, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, kalamata olives, bay leaf. (meaty version is with chorizo sausages)
    Served with chunky avocado, sour cream and salsa with or without toritlla. Or with rocket salad and shaved parmesan. Or in a pita bread with feta and oregano.

can you break this into a recipe format for me please, ie how much of each item, how long & cooking temp etc? cheers! sounds yummy

Hi
    I use what I have, sometimes less carrots, sometimes, more peppers...doesn't really matter. If you prefer onion use it instead, caramelise it first.
    1 big leek, finely chopped
    4 medium carrots, chopped
    2 red bell peppers, chopped
    5 garlic cloves, chopped
    olive oil (I am very liberal with oil)
    400g tin chopped tomatoes (or 1 pound fresh, skin removed)
    pinch dried chilli flakes, salt, black pepper, 1 small spoon smoked paprika, 1 tbs sweet Spanish paprika, 1 tbs Marigold organic boullion
    4x 400g tins butter beans or borlotti beans, drained (if using dried beans you have to soak and precook)
    3 bay leaves
    20 kalamata olives
    Fry leeks, peppers and carrots 5 min, add tomatoes, bay leaves, chilli flakes, salt , black pepper, paprika, Marigold. Mix well and put aside.
    Put drained beans in the ovenproof dish - I use shallow cast iron one. Add vegetable mix, garlic and kalamata olives and stir well before putting in the oven for 40min 175C. Beans should not be dry, so add enough water to almost cover them before you put them in the oven.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Edamame Salad

Had this at a cafe at lunchtime and loved it so much I reproduced it at home tonight. We had it accompanied with egg drop miso soup and some takeaway maki rolls.

A normal vinaigrette is 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. I liked this salad to be tarter. Say equal parts vinegar and oil.

Ingredients.

Salad
    1 part quinoa (by volume)
    1 part frozen shelled edamame beans (by volume)
    1/8 part sun dried tomatoes ( by volume)
    Some snow peas or sugar snaps

Dressing: A garlicky tart vinaigrette.
    1 part olive oil
    1 part balsamic vinegar
    Salt to taste
    if you love garlic, chop a clove into it. If you prefer your garlic to be less pronounced, infused a crushed clove clove for an hour in the oil prior to using. If you are short on time use garlic powder. My sun dried tomatoes were dressed in garlic infused oil, so I just used that.

Method:
    Blanche the snow peas or sugar snaps by zapping in the microwave for a minute. Alternatively you can blanche for a minute in boiling water. Similarly, defrost the edamame beans in the microwave for a few minutes or blanche. Cook the quiinoa like rice until done. Set aside.

Make the vinaigrette. Slice the dried tomatoes into thinner slivers if necessary. Dress all the ingredients and toss. Can be made in advance.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    In what way is meat unhealthy?
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/pesto-marcella-hazan-448339

I'm not a vegetarian, but Pasta with Pesto is one of my favourite vegetarian meals. If you are vegan you can skip the butter. If you make a big batch of pesto have Soupe au Pistou as well. That's essentiallly boiled vegetables served in broth flavoured with a big dollop of pesto.
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of 'Meatless Monday's" and it's tricky. The goal is to avoid ALL animal products which can be tough. I usually just eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables. Breakfast will be fruit salad, Lunch will be a vegetable salad with dried chick peas and almonds, Dinner I'd have something like Ratatouille. And any snacks would be fruit or nuts. Unless you make it yourself, pasta usually will have eggs so it's not 'meatless'. Even some so called vegan or vegetarian products contain some type of animal product so read the labels carefully.
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In what way is meat unhealthy?

You asked, so check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCGkprGW_o