WEIGHT TRAINING FOR WOMEN

Options
2»

Replies

• Reborn1996
    Reborn1996 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I ve just taken a look and they are paid program. Do you have a free link ?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Reborn1996 wrote: »
    I know that Stronglifts 5x5 is free.

NROLW and strong curves are both books, and in my opinion totally worth the money.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    Rather than looking at Instagram, check out the amazing changes to all kinds of women's bodies on this very site:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1045433/women-lifting-heavy-with-pics#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/948109/progress-photos/p1

Most women are pear-shaped (albeit to a greater or lesser degree). As you can see in the above threads and many, many more on the subject, the progress is gradual. If you decide you don't like what's happening to your body, stop and change course. Your butt will not suddenly expand to twice its size overnight. Nor can you, sadly, get rid of the fat you want to get rid of and keep the fat you like.

I'm pear-shaped, too, and I think my progress is fairly typical. My waist got smaller almost immediately. After a few months of lifting heavy and eating at a tiny deficit, my upper body got a little more muscular (which I like, as it balances out the bottom better now). Only after 7 months of hard, hard work did I see the slightest change (likely invisible to anyone else!) in my bottom half, i.e., my saddlebags look a tiny bit smaller. My butt is higher and firmer, but I don't think it has changed size at all. (It's really difficult to see your own backside, though, unless you have a store fitting-room mirror in your house.)

I would also add this: When I'm flexing, you can see a fair amount of muscle on my body, but since I don't stand around flexing all the time (that's for private moments in front of the bathroom mirror!), most people have no clue that I'm built this way. More often I get compliments on how slim I am and people saying that I look young for my age (closing in fast on 50).

So no one can decide how to be. Gens do.

That's not what I said at all. I said most women are pear-shaped. You can control your fitness level, body fat, weight, proportions, etc. through fueling yourself in certain ways and training in certain ways. Honestly, I think people have been incredibly helpful in this thread, and you seem a little unreceptive, as if you're looking for a reason not to weight train (your butt will get big, it's all up to genetics, programs cost money). If you don't want to do it, don't do it--simple as that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

You can Google to get the details all for free. New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves are books but both can easily be found online if you look for them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You can Google to get the details all for free. New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves are books but both can easily be found online if you look for them.

Quoting myself to say that Starting Strength is also a book but details are easily found online.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    There are specific exercises for training the glutes (butt). If you don't want to train those specifically, avoid glute bridges and hip thrusts.
    Ok Thank you for your advises :) do you lift weights?

Not yet. I will start strong curves, a program with a focus on glutes, next month.
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    weight training will not give you a "bigger butt" it will give you a shaped butt. look at pics of girls that lift weights, they dont have big butts, they have shaped, toned butts. Do all the glute exercises as part of your program, they are good for you.

I disagree. If someone had no but, not just unshaped, but hardly any, glute exercises can give you a big butt compared to what you had.
    Anyway, in my advice assumed OP did take a good look at shaped butts, and that it was not something she liked, which is okay. (She said she looked at instagram pictures). Especially as she doesn't necessarily have much fat to lose.
    Like I said earlier this post, I'm starting strong curves soon, personally I'm completely pro glute exercises. This post just reminds me on the debulk post that is also currently actve in this forum. It linked to a great blog from Bret Contreras on this subject. Although thinking back to his post, I remember his advice being to train heavy to the point it the muscle starts becoming too much for their taste, and then switch to same exercise but lower weight and more reps. I guess I should have recommended that instead.

ETA: link to the article I mention
    http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

I did not want to say that i dont like the pictures, my worry is to get bigger glutes but i want to have shaped lower body infact i would like to underline that my hips are 94 cm.

Just remembered that I didn't come back to this.
    My body is also pear shaped, actually I have a bit more difference between my waist and hips. My waist is 70 cm, while my hips are in the 106-110 range. I do however not have a big but, at all. Somewhat wide hips, definetly, but not a big butt. So your hip circumference does not have to say anything about butt size.

When doing weight training, and training glutes, genetics will determine if and how fast those muscles will grow. Chances are, your butt won't get huges at all, just firms up a bit. If it firms up too much, follow the advice in the article I posted above.

I'm starting to believe that New Rules of Lifting for Women is the right book for you. It tackles all the misconceptions on women who lift weights. Furthermore, the importance of weight lifting will be discussed as well as eating right and how to lift safely. Since this book is not very expensive to begin with, a small investment will get you a lot of knowledge.
    It is also totally okay if you don't want to lift weights. Just educate yourself if you do decide to go for it.
  • Reborn1996
    Reborn1996 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There are specific exercises for training the glutes (butt). If you don't want to train those specifically, avoid glute bridges and hip thrusts.
    Ok Thank you for your advises :) do you lift weights?

Not yet. I will start strong curves, a program with a focus on glutes, next month.
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    weight training will not give you a "bigger butt" it will give you a shaped butt. look at pics of girls that lift weights, they dont have big butts, they have shaped, toned butts. Do all the glute exercises as part of your program, they are good for you.

I disagree. If someone had no but, not just unshaped, but hardly any, glute exercises can give you a big butt compared to what you had.
    Anyway, in my advice assumed OP did take a good look at shaped butts, and that it was not something she liked, which is okay. (She said she looked at instagram pictures). Especially as she doesn't necessarily have much fat to lose.
    Like I said earlier this post, I'm starting strong curves soon, personally I'm completely pro glute exercises. This post just reminds me on the debulk post that is also currently actve in this forum. It linked to a great blog from Bret Contreras on this subject. Although thinking back to his post, I remember his advice being to train heavy to the point it the muscle starts becoming too much for their taste, and then switch to same exercise but lower weight and more reps. I guess I should have recommended that instead.

ETA: link to the article I mention
    http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

I did not want to say that i dont like the pictures, my worry is to get bigger glutes but i want to have shaped lower body infact i would like to underline that my hips are 94 cm.

Just remembered that I didn't come back to this.
    My body is also pear shaped, actually I have a bit more difference between my waist and hips. My waist is 70 cm, while my hips are in the 106-110 range. I do however not have a big but, at all. Somewhat wide hips, definetly, but not a big butt. So your hip circumference does not have to say anything about butt size.

When doing weight training, and training glutes, genetics will determine if and how fast those muscles will grow. Chances are, your butt won't get huges at all, just firms up a bit. If it firms up too much, follow the advice in the article I posted above.

I'm starting to believe that New Rules of Lifting for Women is the right book for you. It tackles all the misconceptions on women who lift weights. Furthermore, the importance of weight lifting will be discussed as well as eating right and how to lift safely. Since this book is not very expensive to begin with, a small investment will get you a lot of knowledge.
    It is also totally okay if you don't want to lift weights. Just educate yourself if you do decide to go for it.

thank you very much for your reply, i really want to begin to lift weights but i was really worried about the results caused by my ignorance about this topic. So, as the book costs around 10 euros i will defenitely buy this book.
    I also would like to apologize if i seem unreceptive.
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I lift, and have lost on average 4/6 inches around my body and when paired with proper nutrition, you will get the body you dream of, whilst kicking butt! Be sure to concentrate on form when starting out, and recovery is just as important as lifting!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am apple shaped (now). When I first started lifting weights in high school, I was very thin (underweight) and my bum was pretty flat. Weight lifting didn't make it any bigger, it just made it more shapely (some definition would appear when I would flex).

Many years later, I've put on quite a few pounds, and now I have a larger bum. But it projects more out to the sides than out to the back (it's gotten a bit wider, but not really rounder). In other words, the shape I started with is pretty much the shape I still have, despite years of weight lifting. The only thing that ever made it get BIGGER was putting on fat. And even then, I still have that basic apple shape where most of my fat goes to my middle.