Can tea help with weight loss??

Options
So I been lost 4 pounds since I added this app and the only thing different I been doing is drinking tea. I mainly drink green tea cause I heard it can help lose fat in the stomach area but I just picked up some smooth move tea and yogi detox tea. Can these be a reason why I'm losing this weight so fast and quick? What will happen if I stop? Can someone provide me some pointers on how to maintain losing weight cause I personally am tired of this roller coaster.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well the detox teas are usually laxatives so I guess they'd temporarily help with weight loss.... but as far as real weight loss - nope.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    326.gif
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't put you over your calorie allotment for the day.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Can someone provide me some pointers on how to maintain losing weight cause I personally am tired of this roller coaster.

The only thing that works is a calorie deficit.

Any other questions?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Return of the abs

Hell yeah

@asflatasapancake
  • ffwang82
    ffwang82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I found it's useful. It has nice antioxidant content for your health first of all. And it has some caffeine which eliminate the food craving at some point. It's a very food filler (same as water).
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    the 4 pounds is all from being in a calorie deficit. Unfortunately, tea does not help get rid of belly fat.

Congrats on the loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is calories in vs. calories out.

Smooth Move & "Detox" sound like diuretics. They will help you lose water (and waste). This is not the same thing as fat loss.

Regular tea has caffeine (a stimulant). This may offer a very minute number of added burned calories. http://www.webmd.com/diet/19991128/green-tea-boosts-metabolism-protects-against-diseases

Regular, sustained weight loss. Just measure & log the foods you eat. Stay under your maintenance calories and you will lose. Spot reduction is a myth. You will lose weight, where your body decides (often genetic).
  • AndrelleJohnson
    AndrelleJohnson Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you. I also heard 20mins of cardio can help lose is that true or false? (I am new to this weight loss stuff so I just wanna know and what will help)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Options
    Okay, thank you. I also heard 20mins of cardio can help lose is that true or false? (I am new to this weight loss stuff so I just wanna know and what will help)

Yes, 20 minutes of cardio can assist with weight loss. I would strongly STRONGLY suggest adding in some weight training... I wish I had started weight training at the beginning of my weight loss.

Can you give us your stats? Current weight, goal weight, how many pounds a week you have MFP set on?
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options

If you have an accurate way of figuring out how many calories you're burning during exercise, then yes, it helps. But don't fall into the trap of overcompensating how much you're burning.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Exercise burns some calories, BUT it's primary purpose should be fitness. Cardio is great for the heart. Overall fitness should also include strength/resistance training.

To get off the roller-coaster (I've done this too)....try to make lifestyle changes. Find an exercise / activity that you enjoy doing. I like Walk At Home DVDs....some people like Zumba....no matter. Keep looking until you find something you enjoy. This will help you be consistent....which in turn, will help you KEEP the weight off.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    the 4 pounds is all from being in a calorie deficit. Unfortunately, tea does not help get rid of belly fat.

Congrats on the loss.

Actually the 4 lbs is likely just water weight and emptying of the digestive tract (if using the laxative tea).
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. CI (calories in) minus CO (calories out) equals weight change. You can lower the calories in, raise the calories out, or both to decrease weight. Eat less and/or move more. There are no magic pills, diets, teas, cleanses, or workouts that result in permanent weight loss that do not use this basic formula.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Check your teas. If one of the ingredients is senna, then you're basically abusing a natural laxative to lose weight. Senna teas should not be used more than 7 days.

Quit the detox teas. Look for permanent changes you can make that will help with weight loss. Read the "must reads" at the top of each section for pointers. I especially like these:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here
  • Asher_Ethan
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Congrats on the loss.

Actually the 4 lbs is likely just water weight and emptying of the digestive tract (if using the laxative tea).

Ah, I read her opening post incorrectly. I thought she meant she started following MFP on the deficit.