Day 1.... Kinda

Options
pjsdj
pjsdj Posts: 90 Member
I've been reading all the success stories and I'm motivated to start again!!! I've tried befor but I can fully admit I have about zero self control!!! I love eating out, I love eating, I eat when I'm bored, hate veggies pretty much horrible eating habits so I'm really trying to make small but real changes that I can stick with this time. What's your fav weight loss tip or trick you can share with me?

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1. DONT DEPRIVE YOURSELF- EAT IT- EXERCISE IT OFF
    2. WEIGH IN ONCE A WEEK
    3. DRINK WATER
    4. DO 60 MINUTES OF CARDIO A DAY- W ALKING, LOW IMPACT AEROBICS, ETC.
    5. STAY UNDER CALORIES ON HERE IF U GO OVER EXERCISE IT OFF
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Small changes. Track everything. Food isn't good or bad, it's food. Weigh and measure it. Eat out if you enjoy it, just watch your portion sizes and make sure it fits into your calorie goals.

On the veggie front try things multiple times prepared in multiple ways. The first time I tried asparagus or brussel sprouts I hated them, to the point of gagging, but after having them roasted or pan seared with cranberries and a bit of bacon I adore them. A lot of times cooking method will change your perceptions.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I had to resign myself to the fact that it was not gonna happen overnight like I wanted it to. I also spent a lot of time lurking the forums finding out how others had been successful. I got educated on TDEE, reasonable calorie deficits, and the best exercises to get me the body I want. Everyone wants some kind of motivation, but really, the motivation has to come from you and you alone. If you want it badly enough you will make the changes necessary to get you where you want to be. You don't have to give up your favorite foods (unless you have a medical condition), you just have to learn moderation. And, while not necessary for weight loss, exercise helps a ton.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Start small. Don't go crazy reducing calories and switching to all lean meats and veggies just yet. This is what I did:

1) Cut 250 calories per day for a couple weeks
    2) Cut 500 calories per day for a couple weeks
    3) Once I did that, I stopped drinking regular soda and switched to diet
    4) Started phasing in more water and less diet soda
    5) Eventually got to the point where soda, even diet, tastes awful and now I prefer water (I love water with lemon or cucumber in it)
    6) Cut 1000 calories per day and varied between 750-1000 to keep my metabolism guessing. I lose about 1 - 1.5 pounds per week *on average*. Remember, you won't lose some weeks, some weeks you'll gain, some weeks you'll lose a few pounds. It's the *average* that's important.

For exercise, I started small. I could barely move at 357 pounds, so I challenged myself to walk for 10 minutes, then 15, then 20. Now I can walk three miles without getting sore.

I also started doing exercise videos. I modified the moves so they weren't too hard. I challenged myself to do 15 minutes, then 20, then half the video, then 3/4, then the full video. I could barely move during "Turbo Jam" a year ago and hardly ever finished it. Now it feels too easy.

Also, if you can't do a move, or it's too fast for you, just move in place. Dance around. Swing your arms. Anything that keeps your heart rate up is good. You don't have to be perfect. Remember, the people on the video have been doing this for years.

It's all about baby steps. Don't rush in. Don't deny yourself things you love. I still eat ice cream. I still enjoy food when we go on vacation (I set my calories to maintenance mode). I had a donut this morning and walked during my lunch break to help with the extra calories. You'll learn to balance everything once it becomes habit. Until then, don't stress. It's like learning anything new. Just take your time and be patient. :)
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I only have one.. You can't exercise away a bad diet.

Clean up your diet to lose weight, exercise for fitness and body definition.

Good luck!
  • pjsdj
    pjsdj Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks so much for the kind responses and what great ideas!!!! I love the idea of cranberrys and bacon with roasted veggies!!! Man the things you don't think of when your thinking of what to eat next hahaha. I did weight watchers for awhile and the people on the forums were so rude and unsupportive it's a whole new ball game here and I love it!! I really like the baby step ideas they don't seem big but I can totally see how effective they would be!!! I all of a sudden fine that I don't LOVE diet soda so I'm really starting to up my water intake cuz for a second it's actually easy!! I'm thinking of kinda going to pick 1 or 2 things to adjust every few weeks. Like right now I'm going to try and replace my snacks with fruit and eat more veggies. Also thinking about getting a bike I think I'd rather do that than run for now with it being so crazy hot!