How is LOGGING a way of Life???

Options
I've been logging everything AND accurately for the last month! I went insane today because it literally took me about 30 min to enter a Naan Pizza recipe into MFP. A recipe that I want to easily use over and over again. I was so frustrated I actually threw my phone! How is this lifestyle sustainable? Seriously! Accuracy is KEY but what about staying sane? What about exercising during logging time? I don't know what to do? Please help!

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It's easier for me to log on my laptop than my phone. Been doing it for about 3.5 months and I'm not insane yet.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Deep breath. There are some glitches on the recipe builder page that I've encountered but MFP advised scrolling down when the page is (seems) blank, and that has helped.

Give yourself time to adapt; how long have you been logging? It does start to get easier and faster. Stay committed to your calorie goal and stay the course. Tomorrow is a new day. Relax.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    How does it take 30min to make a recipe? With the new layout on PC it's much easier. If you want to guesstimate, by all means guesstimate.
  • Terrance_aka_Magnus
    Options
    You're probably just still figuring out how to use it. It takes me less than 5 minutes per day to enter everything. If you pre-log things while in line, etc. it takes basically 0 minutes.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    How does it take 30min to make a recipe? With the new layout on PC it's much easier. If you want to guesstimate, by all means guesstimate.

She's doing the logging on her phone, that's most likely why it took so long.

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

It may take a little more time, but I've found the time difference negligible. There can be a lot of different results to wade through, that is for sure!
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'll second the advice to use a mac/pc for logging and recipes. Using my phone, even with the app, is much slower.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Once it's in there, you won't have to repeat it. I use my laptop in combination with my phone (scanner). It takes just minutes a day.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It's easier for me to log on my laptop than my phone. Been doing it for about 3.5 months and I'm not insane yet.

^This. I find logging on the computer much easier than using the app. But in the beginning, it can take time to add in your recipes, that's for sure.

One thing someone suggested on the forums awhile back was to log recipes as meals - entering each component individually, because that gives you more flexibility with adjusting the amount or ingredients you use when you make it. I find it to be helpful for recipes where I'm making a single serving (like a homemade pizza for one) or cooking for two, because I can just halve the portion sizes. It might make the process less frustrating, and once you've saved it as a meal, it's easy to log.
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It does become second nature. Today is only my 4th day and I am already starting to reach for my phone before or after I eat something without even realising it. However on the other side if you don't want to count you could always try intuitive eating. Check out josie mai on you tube. Or there are others. I couldn't do it because I need to know what I am eating. But a lot of people have had successes with it. Just a suggestion.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I don't do ANYTHING MFP (or any other app) with my phone! Sheesh, I hate texting, much less entering recipes! I go through my PC for everything.
  • AngelaAlario
    AngelaAlario Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Logging is as much a way of life as landscaping or gardening or tree pruning may be.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You get used to it and it becomes habit. I only use the phone app and don't find it cumbersome at all. When I first started I didn't make myself crazy with the details-I just logged. Eventually I got more meticulous and now I weigh everything and have plenty of recipes. I simply record into the recipe builder as I go.

It all gets easier-just take a breath and don't make yourself crazy. At this point I am like a human calorie-count encyclopedia. People hate me for it ;-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I use my phone to make phone calls and send the rare text. My PC has a a high speed internet connection and is attached to two monitors, one them wide, and a full size keyboard with number pad. I can't imagine using a phone.

Actually, I can, I use my fiance's iPhone for search when we're away from the computer, and it blows.
  • Victoria_Th
    Victoria_Th Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy it now, it's kind of exciting when I scan something and it finds it. I've found I have quite a few meals that are the same or similar. So I will copy the meal over and change it as needed. That takes much less time than entering it manually.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I log and create meals/recipes all the time with my phone. It takes no longer than a pc.

Oh, and I still love pc's. I also have dual monitors on every pc I use including the 4 different pc's at work. But this isn't a pc vs phone debate, this is about staying sane.

I suggest taking things easy. Like slaite1, I also stated off with approximations and have slowly gotten more accurate as time goes on. As foods build up in your frequent list it gets easier to log foods you eat often.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

I almost threw mine out the window when I tried it.

OP, try the OLD recipe builder (lower right part on the screen, when viewing from the computer, & def use the computer). It's MUCH easier to use.
  • malofton1165
    malofton1165 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have gotten so used to entering everything, either on the PC or phone app, that I get anxious when I can't log my entries. So, for me, logging equals accountability and makes me see what I am really eating rather than estimating.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's a pain, especially when you have to enter recipes. It's not going to be a lifelong thing for me. But if you're counting calories, it beats making charts and having folders. IMO.