Bikini/Bodybuilding Competitions

Options
I am thinking of competing in a bikini competition some time next year. I would love some insight from people who have already competed in bodybuilding/bikini/figure etc. competitions.
What I am wondering is how hard the prep is and if you had a hard time achieving you're ideal body. Also any tips for a first timer would be great. Thanks

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    never competed - but you are going to need hard work, dedication, strict diet, strict intake/logging, a structured lifting program, and micro/macro adherence.

as a female you will probably need to get to sub 18% body fat to compete ….
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    LiveLoveSwimming Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    thanks @ndj1979
  • RamonBecerra
    RamonBecerra Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Im a amature body builder and i seen women total change the body by working out with heavier weight
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Strict dieting, consistency with exercise to retain muscle all the while reducing fat to about 17%. And suits aren't cheap either. You'll have to spray tan for competition, as well a work on mandatory poses daily to "feel" them onstage without a mirror. You also have to be selfish in the prep. It IS about you if you're prepping for a competition and anyone saying you're obsessed, etc. will be absolutely correct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gulsahconstas
    gulsahconstas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of competing in a bikini competition some time next year. I would love some insight from people who have already competed in bodybuilding/bikini/figure etc. competitions.
    What I am wondering is how hard the prep is and if you had a hard time achieving you're ideal body. Also any tips for a first timer would be great. Thanks

I will be competing for the first time this November. Nervous as hell already. I started my diet yesterday and work out starts today. Dieting is not bad so far.i will be working out 5-6 times a week. Good luck to you I'm sure you ll do great no matter what. I'm doing this to achieve my goal faster :)
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I haven't competed yet but that's what I'm training for. So while I don't have actual experience to offer, I have friends that compete and a year's worth of endless research for you :smile:

It's a process. A VERY long process. One of the most crucial pieces of advice I've received is not to rush into it. People that rush tend to do intense cardio and low calories leading up to a show and rebound in a really awful way after. I've ready posts from way too many girls struggle with high weight gain after competing because they wrecked their bodies. A year of training prior to competing is a good route to go. A lot of people end up getting down to a lower body fat percentage and realize they're lacking in muscle. I'm starting a bulk right now. I lean out up top MUCH quicker than my lower body so I know what I'm working with there and don't have that much I need to build on for bikini. But my lower body is a mystery and I'm not convince I have good glute size so I definitely feel a good bulk is needed for me to be competitive. I'd rather spend the extra time that go through a 4 months prep and look under-muscle. I know a few girls that happened to and it was really hard for them mentally to feel like they didn't belong on stage after working so hard during prep. If you've been lean enough (18% would give you a good gauge) to know what you're true quad and glute size is and feel it's good enough, then I'd say cutting to compete would be fine. But if not, a bulk would be a safe bet. So many people think they've got more size than they do.

Exploring bodybuilding.com forums will give you a lot of insight. Under the women's section, you'll see a ton of posts by aspiring amateurs. That'll serve as your "what NOT to do." There are some experience competitors on there that give a lot of insight on correct prep within these posts. For me, they're advice has been invaluable because there are so many prep coaches out there that don't know what they're doing and will have you doing 2-a-day 2 hour cardio sessions the whole week on 1200 calories. Definitely get a coach for the actual prep (12 weeks minimum before a show) but make sure it's the right fit and don't blindly follow advice that doesn't sound right.

You'll definitely find yourself feeling like you never reach your ideal body. I don't mean that in a negative way. But you'll just be looking for continuous improvement if you keep competing. One girl I knew before she started training. She always had a nice body but it's been crazy to see her transform over the years from a standard "thin" body to a pro.
  • SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Terar21 this was a great post thank you. I want to compete next year. I have been lifting heavy for 8 months now and I feel like next year will be a good time and I will have had time to prepare for it, mentally as well as in the gym.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just read this, this morning, and it from a woman's perspective on competitions. I though it was well written myself.
    7 Competition Realities Veterans Don't Tell Rookies
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Start going to local shows and speak with competitors... this will also help with networking as BB is very much about "who you know". It's also super subjective, there is no criteria to judging it's just peoples opinions you just have to fall into a category, IE tall bikini

Once you start to network you'll see how much it's like high school all over again and then start to hate bodybuilding ... Everyone *kitten* and complains about everything, not getting placed correctly, looking better but losing, then when they win the winners complain about the complainers...

I seriously hate the OPA and will only follow the major events in North America now.

Edit:
    Forgot to mention if you go to low in BF % you can become infertile and will lose your period, no guarantee it comes back either...

Supplements, they can be expensive and are a huge part of the sport, when you find a prep coach you'll learn more.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    I haven't competed yet but that's what I'm training for. So while I don't have actual experience to offer, I have friends that compete and a year's worth of endless research for you :smile:

It's a process. A VERY long process. One of the most crucial pieces of advice I've received is not to rush into it. People that rush tend to do intense cardio and low calories leading up to a show and rebound in a really awful way after. I've ready posts from way too many girls struggle with high weight gain after competing because they wrecked their bodies. A year of training prior to competing is a good route to go. A lot of people end up getting down to a lower body fat percentage and realize they're lacking in muscle. I'm starting a bulk right now. I lean out up top MUCH quicker than my lower body so I know what I'm working with there and don't have that much I need to build on for bikini. But my lower body is a mystery and I'm not convince I have good glute size so I definitely feel a good bulk is needed for me to be competitive. I'd rather spend the extra time that go through a 4 months prep and look under-muscle. I know a few girls that happened to and it was really hard for them mentally to feel like they didn't belong on stage after working so hard during prep. If you've been lean enough (18% would give you a good gauge) to know what you're true quad and glute size is and feel it's good enough, then I'd say cutting to compete would be fine. But if not, a bulk would be a safe bet. So many people think they've got more size than they do.

Exploring bodybuilding.com forums will give you a lot of insight. Under the women's section, you'll see a ton of posts by aspiring amateurs. That'll serve as your "what NOT to do." There are some experience competitors on there that give a lot of insight on correct prep within these posts. For me, they're advice has been invaluable because there are so many prep coaches out there that don't know what they're doing and will have you doing 2-a-day 2 hour cardio sessions the whole week on 1200 calories. Definitely get a coach for the actual prep (12 weeks minimum before a show) but make sure it's the right fit and don't blindly follow advice that doesn't sound right.

You'll definitely find yourself feeling like you never reach your ideal body. I don't mean that in a negative way. But you'll just be looking for continuous improvement if you keep competing. One girl I knew before she started training. She always had a nice body but it's been crazy to see her transform over the years from a standard "thin" body to a pro.

lot of wisdom in here. The under muscled thing would be my main point to capitalize on- being small isn't the issue- it's being lean enough to see muscle- if you don't have any- then you're just gonna have a hard time. My friend did that- she dropped a lot of weight- was looking good- but decided to do a show- did a prep for it- and she got 3rd- she looked okay- she was uneven and poorly developed. I was proud of her for going at it- but yeah- she needed a lot more work.

Take your time- set your sites far enough out to make a good plan and stick to it.
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »

This is so helpful thank you. I am thinking of competing in May of next year and I am super excited. I have been training for about 8 months now and have put on quite a bit of size. Hopefully it will be enough for the show in May. I know I will do a small bulk for a bit before then, just like you, to put on some more size.

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here.

You may want to consider hiring a coach for your first time competing. Lots of girls do it without one and are incredibly successful. Hiring a coach as it's just one more cost to add to the list, but it can take some of the stress out of prep for you and a good coach is worth their weight in gold. A word of warning though do A LOT of research before choosing who to hire. There are a ton of people out there more than happy to take your money and not deliver. Worse still put you on some crazy low calorie, low fat, low carb diet and have you do 2 hours of cardio a day on top of training 6 - 7 days a week as they really don't know what they're doing. A good coach will always put your health first along with you're best interests and if that means you're not ready for the show you picked will tell you. They should also give a good exit plan for when you step off stage and start reverse dieting. A good coach not only brings knowledge to the table but objectivity and support.

Is prep hard? hell yes it's hard mentally physically and emotionally and be prepared to make A LOT of sacrifices for 12 - 16 weeks. Be prepared to have NO social life during prep and to (hopefully not) possibly lose friends as people just don't understand what it takes or the process. But the upside is you'll get to know yourself in ways you never thought possible. You'll achieve things you weren't sure you're capable of and you will meet some amazing people. Game day is one of the best feelings in the world and the positive buzz from all the other competitors is incredible.

You have plenty of time to decide which organization you'd like to compete with (I compete OCB) and to attend some shows to start getting a feel for it and seeing the standard you'll be up against. It sounds like you're giving yourself plenty of time and being very realistic. I'm sure you'll do great :)
  • jakehope87
    jakehope87 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    just been reading through the comments and something that id personally love to get involved with as well. Without a doubt though, a strict transformation programme is the key! i'm sure you'll do great, if you want something bad enough you'll get it!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    i just did my first competition in June. Bikini division, Masters.
    To answer your question, you absolutely can do it, and yes it is grueling. It is an awesome experience BUT if i can give you one piece of advice and please please take this to heart- just know mentally that you will not nor SHOULD you maintain that stage lean after the competition. I didn't have the best POST competition plan so seeing my chiseled body so quickly change was hard. But yes, it is amazing. I'll change my profile pic to one of my stage pics for you to see. :)
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I could not have said this better~!
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Strict dieting, consistency with exercise to retain muscle all the while reducing fat to about 17%. And suits aren't cheap either. You'll have to spray tan for competition, as well a work on mandatory poses daily to "feel" them onstage without a mirror. You also have to be selfish in the prep. It IS about you if you're prepping for a competition and anyone saying you're obsessed, etc. will be absolutely correct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    willywonka wrote: »
    i just did my first competition in June. Bikini division, Masters.
    To answer your question, you absolutely can do it, and yes it is grueling. It is an awesome experience BUT if i can give you one piece of advice and please please take this to heart- just know mentally that you will not nor SHOULD you maintain that stage lean after the competition. I didn't have the best POST competition plan so seeing my chiseled body so quickly change was hard. But yes, it is amazing. I'll change my profile pic to one of my stage pics for you to see. :)

This is a great point especially for ladies. Seeing those striations disappear and feeling my prep clothes getting snug did a complete number on me mentally and emotionally. Thankfully I had a lot of support from other friends who had competed and my coach. Reverse dieting is an absolute must.
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! This is so helpful!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Lot of hard work
    Dedication
    Staying very strict on your diet.
    Start about 16 weeks out to slowly cut away fat, and preserve as much muscle as possible.
    Add in a lot more cardio towards the end.
    Do the competition
    HAVE A HUGE MEAL AFTER. :smile:
  • teamwellness9119
    teamwellness9119 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have competed in several bodybuilding competitions and like to do it as a hobby. Whether you compete as a hobby or if you are incredibly serious about getting your Pro card, I would recommend that you first go to a bodybuilding competition show to watch the females compete. You will be able to see how they pose, what kind of bodybuilding categories there are (bikini, physique, fitness, etc.), what kind of swimsuits they buy, the list goes on.

Key point: what's great about first going to a bodybuilding competition as an audience member is you can introduce yourself and possibly make new friends that are bodybuilders. If you have questions, most of them will be open and happy to give you tips from how long they have been bulking, how long they have been cutting, where they got their suit, how much they paid for tanning, where they got their shoes, how much they paid for makeup (who did their makeup), etc.

I usually bulk for 5 months very slowly and then I cut for eight weeks. Bodybuilding is like an art form. I consider it to be similar to sculpting because you have to try to get your body as symmetrical as possible if you want to win. If your lower body is too big, you gotta find ways to trim it down and if your upperbody is to small, you gotta find ways to get more mass. The challenge is in disciplining yourself AND paying for all the costs that come with competing.