Replies

• KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ty! Really means a lot!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You can't dictate if you're going to have flabby skin or not. Chances are if you have more than 80lbs to lose, you'll have flabby loose skin.
    The trainer basically gave you no way out of the contract. If you can't then you might as well train with him, but give him the expectations of training harder. Have him write down your workout and go over it with him before doing it with questions like "why are we doing this exercise and what does are the benefits?" If he legitmately answer them, he's not a good trainer and you should be able to switch. At least in most clubs this is an option.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • charitys_aloette
    charitys_aloette Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Women are often afraid to lift but I can't recommend it enough. Complex lifts are amazing for toning and muscle definition. These are lifts that work the whole body (cleans, clean & jerks, snatches). I'm happier with inches lost than weight lost... They don't always line up. I've been up weight and down inches.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Well done on your progress so far.
    arditarose wrote: »
    Good thing you got rid of him. I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. You could aim for 2 pounds per week possibly but...I'm seriously blown away by this.

To lose weight, eat the amount of calories MFP gives you. If you exercise, log it and eat 50% back. Get a food scale and weigh your food.

Toning is not a thing. Your muscles have tone but you cannot change the tone of your muscles. Eat at a deficit, strength train, hit an appropriate protein goal-and you'll save muscle mass and reveal muscle as you lose fat.

And you have nothing to prove to that trainer.

^this.
    Diet - not a specific one, just eating at a deficit and being aware of what you put in your body, is the way to lose weight. Exercise is for fitness and preserving muscle mass. Keep up the good work you have been doing but you're definitely better off without that trainer!

I personally really enjoy classes at the gym and am a big fan of les mills programs. I like the social aspect and being able to see an improvement in strength or fitness as the weeks go by. I also like that there is someone telling me what to do so I can just do it without having to think up a program. See what your gym has to offer which you like the sound of - the best exercise programme is the one you enjoy and keep doing.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Well in zumba we do lot of squats so the next day I had my trainer work out. He made me do lunges. The hamstring pulled and hurt couple days. It didn't hurt until he made me do the lunges. Then my ankle started hurting to. It's been hurting for a week and I can barely walk down the stairs. I have to walk one by one

Oh and yeah how can I lose belly fat from those two?

I made this thread to see if anyone can give me a workout to do with free weights. I'm hoping I can get pointers I really need to work out today before supper

From what I posted above.

Obviously diet will get the biggest bang for the buck regarding weigh loss and some of that will come in the way of less belly fat. As noted above you can't spot reduce, but without knowing your genetics it appears you tend to store the most fat in the stomach area so most likely that is where you will see the most change as you lose weight.

If looking at it from a resistance training side, squats and lunges, being compound exercises, will burn more calories, but more importantly provide better core strengthening than a bunch of ab isolation exercises.

Did the trainer do any sort of movement screen with you when you started to work with him? You may have some movement patterns that are causing the pain when you do squats and lunges. If so, you may need to work on those issues before you can really go hard on the squats and lunges and not have hamstring issues. BTW, this is pretty common in people that sit in an office all day.

• KristenMarie1181
    Options
    Thank you!

Well I am not scared of lifting. I did barbell up to 75 pounds today. (laying on my back) 12 times. At first I put 5 pounds on each side then 10 then 15. For my 3 sets i gradually aimed to 5. My arms are sore but It doesn't stop me from doing what I gotta do.

The most of my fat that is coming off is mainly my face I can see. I can't see anymore change. Can anyone see? If so please tell me where..

What you mean by movement screen?

And as for dieting are you saying to stop eating processed food (like my 90 calorie brownies and 100 calorie yogurt pretzels, and also my protein bars and other bars. No I don't just eat those in my diet but I do eat those as a snack. But not all in one setting.

Yes I could change trainers but they don't work around my schedule. He was the only one that I could be with.. They don't recommend me doing zumba and circuit training in one day. I tried and I didn't like it one bit. Zumba was so tiring for me and I slacked way to much when I did circuit training before it.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose the weight regardless of what you eat. It's easiest and less stressful to eat what you like and what you plan to keep eating once you hit your weightloss goal. As long as you're getting the essential things you body needs to be healthy, you can absolutely achieve what you want with some processed and even fast food thrown in there. Just keep track of the calories.

If you don't have one, get a food scale. It will give you a great snapshot of what portions look like and where you're getting excess calories.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    A movement screen is where the trainer has the trainee go through a standardized set of movements with grading criteria. This should be done before the trainer has the trainee do any exercises. The idea is to identify any movement issues the trainee has so the trainer can help the person work on those as well as prescribe exercises that are appropriate given any issues the person has.

You mentioned squats and lunges hurt. These movements should not hurt (other than maybe some delayed onset muscle soreness) done properly and in someone with no injuries.

The Function Movement Screen is probably the best know but there are other methods.
    http://www.functionalmovement.com/fms
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    debsbiggs wrote: »
    Well done on your progress so far.
    arditarose wrote: »
    Good thing you got rid of him. I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. You could aim for 2 pounds per week possibly but...I'm seriously blown away by this.

To lose weight, eat the amount of calories MFP gives you. If you exercise, log it and eat 50% back. Get a food scale and weigh your food.

Toning is not a thing. Your muscles have tone but you cannot change the tone of your muscles. Eat at a deficit, strength train, hit an appropriate protein goal-and you'll save muscle mass and reveal muscle as you lose fat.

And you have nothing to prove to that trainer.

^this.
    Diet - not a specific one, just eating at a deficit and being aware of what you put in your body, is the way to lose weight. Exercise is for fitness and preserving muscle mass. Keep up the good work you have been doing but you're definitely better off without that trainer!

I personally really enjoy classes at the gym and am a big fan of les mills programs. I like the social aspect and being able to see an improvement in strength or fitness as the weeks go by. I also like that there is someone telling me what to do so I can just do it without having to think up a program. See what your gym has to offer which you like the sound of - the best exercise programme is the one you enjoy and keep doing.

The OP has some medical issues, probably needs to be eating what her doctor told her, not just eat whatever in a calorie deficit.

From one of her posts:

"I have a bad thyroid and I am pre diabetic.. I was 6.6 now I am 5.5. (was diabetic few months ago but when I Started working out I beat that stage and now pre and hoping I quit pre soon!"
  • KristenMarie1181
    Options
    The doctor didn't even tell me what to eat. And I can't see a dietitian because last time I went to one the girl told me to eat 40-60 carbs each meal 3 times a day.. :worried:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    A movement screen is where the trainer has the trainee go through a standardized set of movements with grading criteria. This should be done before the trainer has the trainee do any exercises. The idea is to identify any movement issues the trainee has so the trainer can help the person work on those as well as prescribe exercises that are appropriate given any issues the person has.

You mentioned squats and lunges hurt. These movements should not hurt (other than maybe some delayed onset muscle soreness) done properly and in someone with no injuries.

The Function Movement Screen is probably the best know but there are other methods.
    http://www.functionalmovement.com/fms
    This is correct. A good trainer doesn't have clients doing exercises they can't seemingly do correctly due to excessive weight or lack of ROM.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Well in zumba we do lot of squats so the next day I had my trainer work out. He made me do lunges. The hamstring pulled and hurt couple days. It didn't hurt until he made me do the lunges. Then my ankle started hurting to. It's been hurting for a week and I can barely walk down the stairs. I have to walk one by one

Oh and yeah how can I lose belly fat from those two?

I made this thread to see if anyone can give me a workout to do with free weights. I'm hoping I can get pointers I really need to work out today before supper

Since no one seemed to have done this so far, here is a list of beginners workout programs that have progressive overload weight training:

- stronglifts 5x5
    - Icf 5x5
    - New rules of lifting for women
    - Strong curves
    - Starting strength

And some bodyweight routines:
    - you are your own gym
    - Convict conditioning
    - Nerdfitness beginner bodyweight routine

All are suitable for beginners by adjusting them to your own level. Just google them all and see which would best suit you.
    I would however recommend not starting until the issues with your leg clear up.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The doctor didn't even tell me what to eat. And I can't see a dietitian because last time I went to one the girl told me to eat 40-60 carbs each meal 3 times a day.. :worried:

Which sounds like perfectly reasonable advice, and has to do with managing diabetes/prediabetes/insuline resistance and nothing to do with weight loss.
    To get back to the original question: at your weight, the important thing is diet and reasonable expectations. Unless monitored by a dr, you should nto be on a very low calorie diet, so stick to something more reasonable than the nonsense your trainer told you. Set MFP to lose 2 lbs per week for now, and focus on this calorie goal.
    Exercise is for fitness not for weight loss. If it hurts, it should not be happening. As you gradually get in shape and lose weight, things will get easier, but there is no point in trying crazy workout schedules. Make sure you are not in pain, visit a dr if you feel you have hurt your leg, and choose something you can commit to without struggling. If you can keep up with Zumba or any other class, awesome. If you feel it is at thsi point too much for your tendons, joints etc, do something lower impact, like walking or swimming. If you like weights or any other strenght training routine, great, but make sure you focus on form and stop whenever something feels wrong. Pushing yourself too much before you have basics figured out results in injuries , not faster weight loss.
  • kami3006
    Options

That seems to be the standard starting range for new diabetics. And is certainly lower than the average healthy persons meals. Why did you have an issue with it?
  • KristenMarie1181
    Options
    for the whole 40-60 carbs each meal i would have to eat so many calories and so much during the day because our place isn't full of so many carbs. I hated the way i had to count everything.. I wanna lose weight not gain weight..
  • KristenMarie1181
    Options
    I would like to know what does it mean for the 5x5. I am so lost on that!
  • kami3006
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose regardless of fat or carbs. Though, I realize you're dealing with a medical issues so you have to be mindful of what you eat.

5x5 means 5 sets of 5 reps of each exercise. It is the basis for a few of the lifting programs.