Long vacation and international move: how to maintain?

Options
2»

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Will the people you are working with write a letter of recommendation for you? When I moved to London, my job wrote a letter to the bank & to the letting agency which let them know I was on a 2 year contract, was earning X amount of money and that helped a lot (both to get a bank account and a flat). I also offered to put in an extra month of rent outside the normal 6 weeks plus initial month so that the landlord felt better about it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think of you're there for 4 weeks you should have a word with the B&B owner and make some suggestions about what sort of breakfasts you'd like.

What sort of shops/ restaurants are there nearby, we UKers could make better suggestions if we knew what you had available :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Right, we extended our vacation to 5 weeks and also found some kind of solution for the B&B: The owner has one room with a small fridge, which we'll be getting. That's at least something. I tried renting a furnished flat, but as all goes via rental agents who want to do background checks first even for just one month of renting - and we don't have a bank account or rental history in the UK yet this won't really work. How we'll be able to rent at all is a different question, but we'll see about that once we're there. My new employer hires lots of people from all over the world, and I guess those people are not sleeping on the streets :smiley:

Great news for the fridge!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    Will the people you are working with write a letter of recommendation for you? When I moved to London, my job wrote a letter to the bank & to the letting agency which let them know I was on a 2 year contract, was earning X amount of money and that helped a lot (both to get a bank account and a flat). I also offered to put in an extra month of rent outside the normal 6 weeks plus initial month so that the landlord felt better about it.

Yes, I suppose I'll be getting that. I'll ask. I also got a rental reference from my current place, though I suppose if someone actually phones them up they will not get much of an answer as this compound is too large.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    I think of you're there for 4 weeks you should have a word with the B&B owner and make some suggestions about what sort of breakfasts you'd like.

What sort of shops/ restaurants are there nearby, we UKers could make better suggestions if we knew what you had available :D

Shops is no problem. There's an Asda on the edge of town and an Aldi. Restaurants are a bit odd: no chains, but lots of fastfood type food. It's a small seaside resort. I guess with the fridge available we'll be eating raw veggies, bread, pot noodles and fruit until we found a place.