Calorie burn for lifting weights?

Options
Versacam
Versacam Posts: 109 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have mainly been doing cardio so far and use a HRM.

I've heard HRM aren't accurate for weight lifting, so how many calories do you log if you do an hour of weights?

I'm 270lbs / 5ft 6.5", Female, 32 yrs old. 44% body fat.

Also, I'm very focused on what the scale says and I'm worried my weight will stall if I lift weights, which I know is stupid, but it's a mental block. How do other people find their weight loss when lifting weights? and do you log a calorie burn for it?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'd just log 25-50% of what MFP says. There's so many variables involved it's hard to really determine how much you'll burn.

There will be a stall for a few weeks as your muscles hold on to water in order to repair. Be patient and keep up with your logging and it will go back down.
  • Versacam
    Options
    Thank you. I looked online and for my weight it may be 250 calories per hour of weight training in seems, depending on how hard I make it, as you said.

I'm on week 5 now and exercise has slowed my weight loss down, but I feel so much better and clothes fit better, so I'm going to try and focus on fat % instead.

I've also been cheating a little, so I've decided to exercise a little more to help me be able to eat a little more.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    do heart rate monitors like a fitbit over or under estimate calories burned from weight lifting. Under estimate im pretty ok with :smiley:
  • kelieghjane
    kelieghjane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Versacam wrote: »
    Thank you. I looked online and for my weight it may be 250 calories per hour of weight training in seems, depending on how hard I make it, as you said.

I'm on week 5 now and exercise has slowed my weight loss down, but I feel so much better and clothes fit better, so I'm going to try and focus on fat % instead.

I've also been cheating a little, so I've decided to exercise a little more to help me be able to eat a little more.

Hiya last time I lost my weight the scales didn't budge much but my body shape changed dramatically and I still dropped dress sizes through doing body pump this time I've got straight back into it because leaner muscles means bigger calorie burn x
  • Versacam
    Options
    Awesome, that's great to hear.. I'm really starting to think a good mix of cardio and weights is the way to go! I enjoy both, so why not :)

Fearing "bulking up" has really put me off weights over the years and I'm quite sad about that.. I've always enjoyed weights but never really realised how beneficial they are for you and with the weight gain on the scales from weights I've scared myself off.

Thanks again.

Oh, and I'm not sure about fitbit calculations sorry, but the article I ready said that no HRM can be accurate when you do weights as it thinks you are doing a steady state of cardio.. but I'm not sure, fitbit might be different?

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont log strength training.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I use weight training for my sauces or salad dressing and maybe a pickle