Insanity question

Options
I am doing Insanity, and going into week 3... but I haven't lost any weight. It actually went up - so did my inches. Weight is a number, but not seeing inches improvements is a bit disheartening.

I am staying in the caloric limit (I was writing it down initially - now using MFP over the last couple days). ANYWAY... I hear that you loose during the second month. Can anyone speak to this experience.

IF YOU ARE A BEACHBODY COACH PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN BEING GIVEN A SALES PITCH.

I am specifically looking for people who are NOT on a payroll, and have real experiences.

Thank you.

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Couple questions....

1 - are you weighing/measuring ALL of your food?
    2 - ALL of your inches went up?

Gaining a few pounds or losing no pounds in the first month is really more then norm than losing. There are people that lose the first month but more often than not people gain.

I lost no pounds the first month, 5 the second month and 8 more the week following finishing. While I was "doing" the program I lost roughly 15 inches overall, 4 from my chest and 4 from my hips. I just assume the 8 pounds I lost in the week after finishing was water weight from the stress I was putting my body through.
  • Angel_Cake25
    Angel_Cake25 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Couple questions....

1 - are you weighing/measuring ALL of your food?
    2 - ALL of your inches went up?

Gaining a few pounds or losing no pounds in the first month is really more then norm than losing. There are people that lose the first month but more often than not people gain.

I lost no pounds the first month, 5 the second month and 8 more the week following finishing. While I was "doing" the program I lost roughly 15 inches overall, 4 from my chest and 4 from my hips. I just assume the 8 pounds I lost in the week after finishing was water weight from the stress I was putting my body through.
    Hello!
    1- yes, I measure my food. I've got WAY more picky about it lately, making sure I am measuring it.
    2 - Yes mam' all - the only thing that maintained-ish were my arms.

I am really pushing the vegetables and fruits more than earlier in the program so that about 1/2 the food I eat is fresh. My rule is - keep it as close to its natural state. No fried foods -grilled, I avoid boxed things like the plague. If I want sweets, I measure in small amounts.
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just finished insanity a few days ago. In eight weeks I was doing it I only lost 3 pounds. But felt my muscles grow I did go down 1 pant size. My cardio strength got stronger. Just stick with it it worth every min.
  • halesss3
    halesss3 Posts: 31
    Options
    I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this! I just finished Day 30 of insanity and I'm currently in the "recovery" week. The first week alone I lost 4 pounds and when I weighed myself today it showed I gained it alllll back. It's so upsetting because I hear a lot of mixed results from people losing weight in different weeks. However I lost 3 inches off my waist, 2 off my hips, 2 off both thighs and 1 off my arms. STICK TO IT! I definitely feel a change in my body though so I'm hoping the scale will show that soon enough! :smile:
  • Angel_Cake25
    Options
    I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this! I just finished Day 30 of insanity and I'm currently in the "recovery" week. The first week alone I lost 4 pounds and when I weighed myself today it showed I gained it alllll back. It's so upsetting because I hear a lot of mixed results from people losing weight in different weeks. However I lost 3 inches off my waist, 2 off my hips, 2 off both thighs and 1 off my arms. STICK TO IT! I definitely feel a change in my body though so I'm hoping the scale will show that soon enough! :smile:
    Ugh. I'm not loosing any inches. I would LOVE to loose inches...
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the same, but dont measure or weight till 2. week of 2. month. If you loose nothing until than maybe your body reacts to different type of workout.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking progress pictures? You might be able to see a difference that the numbers aren't indicating. I'm also on week 3, and I haven't lost any weight either. All of my measurements, except belly have remained constant, but I can see a definite difference in the muscle tone and definition. I wouldn't stress the weight issue. Under a program like Insanity, you're going to gain weight. When you exercise at this intensity, you generate microtears in your muscles as part of the normal musclebuilding routine. Your body treats this as an injury, and will retain water and glycogen at the location of the tears as part of the inflammation response. Water is quite dense, particularly compared to fat, and will often balance or even offset any losses from fat loss. Your scale number will go up, but it is not a real gain. Typically, it takes about 2-3 weeks to adjust and stop retaining water. With Insanity, since you constantly push harder, you might not see any losses until after you finish and your body adjusts. If your muscles are growing from building and swelling from retained water, this might offset the decrease in inches from fat burning, particularly if you weren't terribly active before starting the program. Did your numbers increase on the second fit test? If so, I would probably recommend sticking with it and maybe tweaking your food intake. It's possible that you are eating closer to maintenance if the burn counts are off. How are you tracking calorie burns? A heart rate monitor or the booklet estimator? I find that my burns can vary a lot from dvd to dvd (anywhere from 350 to 800, depending), so I have to adjust how much I eat accordingly.
  • jodyb23
    jodyb23 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm approaching the last 2 weeks of the program and I've only lost 3 lb.s and even that bounces up a lb. or two. I did take measurements and just from eyeballing it have lost at least 15 inches off my body. I compared my inches now and they are the same or smaller than what I weighed last year when I was 12 lbs. lighter. Definitely don't go by the scale with insanity. I was getting discouraged by seeing no scale weight loss especially when the infomercial show's people losing 20-30 lbs., but how much more fit and toned I am is enough to prove it's working.
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    I just started day 1 yesterday. I'll let you know my experience as well but it may be too late at that point.
  • Angel_Cake25
    Options
    Did you see the changes the second month.
  • lafilleavectoi
    lafilleavectoi Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My cardio improved drastically with Insanity. It felt amazing. But I did not shed a single pound in those 2 months.