Is the fitbit worth it? And if so, which one?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sherry97
    Sherry97 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of getting a fitbit also... this discussion has been helpful for me. I'm glad you started it :smiley:
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would say yes. I find it really interesting to see my steps/calories burned. Myfitnesspal has my calories way too low, according to Fitbit, and my weight loss has agreed with Fitbit! Also, mentally it has made me much more accountable. That is a huge plus for me, but others may disagree.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have had a fit bit for 2-1/2 years. First a One, then the Force, now a Charge HR.
    For me, it is the perfect tool to get me to move more. For that alone it is worth it for me. It does not pick up all your steps on machines in the gym (like the elliptical), but is spot on for walking(I don't know about running as I am not a runner). I have an iPhone as well, and use an app for tracking. I keep it in my pocket when I am in the gym and it is better at tracking steps on equipment, but both are pretty accurate at walking. I really like the function for stairs climbed, as my walking/hiking is up and down pretty steep hills. My fitbit gives me credit for one staircase climbed for every 10 feet of elevation climbed (10 feet of elevation is approximately 1 staircase). A one hour walk up and down the hills of our woods gives me credit for 30 staircases climbed, a pretty big incentive for me.

As with most things related to becoming healthier, you have to find what works for you whether it is about moving more or staying within your calorie budget, but I highly recommend it for walkers that need a little more motivation to get "just a few more steps in today". It works for me!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Will it calculate walking on the treadmill or a cardio class? I am looking for something to let me know how many calories I am burning while exercising.

Activity trackers track step-based activity—including the treadmill. The Charge HR and Surge will track your cardio class. If you have a different model, log non-step exercise either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Using an iPhone to track steps can be inconvenient. My work clothes don't always have pockets which does mean carrying the phone in my hand all day. It does not track from a purse. Also, the app really eats the battery.