Sugar Cravings

Options

Replies

• gillian_nalletamby
    gillian_nalletamby Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    To curb my sugar cravings, I did a sugar detox called 'I quit sugar' by Sarah Wilson. I certainly don't agree with everything she advocates but it did help me curb my sugar cravings.

However, to put it into perspective, before the detox, I also did not drink soft drink or eat a lot of processed foods. The hardest thing for me was giving up eating fruit.

From my personal experience, I can recalibrate my tastebuds if I do not eat a certain food. Now I'm a lot more mindful of how much fruit I eat. I also eat protein balls which have malt rice syrup in them.

I don't get sugar cravings the way I did before. However, because I am bad at portion control, I do not have cheat days and I have not returned to commercial chocolate at all.

I have found a product called Aussie Bodies low carb and gluten free chocolate made with stevia which tastes too good to be true! I also make some sweet treats sometimes with cacao.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Jefbro98 wrote: »
    What can I do to help alleviate sugar cravings?

Hi, @Jefbro98.

Do you have a medical reason for avoiding sugar?

If not, did you know that sugar is a vital part of a healthy diet, so it's fine to eat it in moderation.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/added-sugar/art-20045328

Source for the bolded text?

The link I posted. Quote:

"All sugar, whether natural or processed, is a type of simple carbohydrate your body uses for energy. Fruits, vegetables and dairy foods naturally contain sugar."

Remember, the OP hasn't clarified whether he means ALL sugar or ADDED sugar.

This was also of note:

"Despite what you may have heard, there's no nutritional advantage to honey, brown sugar, fruit juice concentrate or other types of sugar over white sugar."

Just because the body uses it when available, doesn't mean it's vital. Complex carbs are broken down into glucose in the bloodstream just like sugars.

And technically, no, OP didn't specify added sugar, but when was the last time someone posted to ask about how to deal with fruit and vegetable cravings?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Op, I deal with sugar cravings by trying to fill the majority of my calorie goal with whole and nutritious foods. Then, I usually save about 200ish calories at the end of the day, and I'll have a treat of something. A square of chocolate or a single serving of ice cream or gelato. I go for high quality sweets, and savor the flavor; it's what helps me get satisfied after a single serving.

The whole, nutritious foods keep me feeling full during the day and allows me to stay within my calorie goal. The treat at the end of the day keeps me sane and allows me to stick with this long term. This is what works for me.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Hi, @Jefbro98.

If not, did you know that sugar is a vital part of a healthy diet, so it's fine to eat it in moderation.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/added-sugar/art-20045328

The science says we do not need to eat sugar or any carbs for health. Protein and fats are essential nutrients. This fundamental understanding is important to help people combat the overpromotion of carbs by the food and nutrition industries and put them in the proper place and amount in diets built for health.

A majority of obese, overweight and even skinny people with metabolic illnesses are over eating carbohydrates, please do not undermine the accurate understanding of nutritional needs that will help them address their health issues.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

Hi, @Jefbro98.

The science says we do not need to eat sugar or any carbs for health. Protein and fats are essential nutrients. This fundamental understanding is important to help people combat the overpromotion of carbs by the food and nutrition industries and put them in the proper place and amount in diets built for health.

A majority of obese, overweight and even skinny people with metabolic illnesses are over eating carbohydrates, please do not undermine the accurate understanding of nutritional needs that will help them address their health issues.

Yes because a diet void of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains is obviously the healthiest possible diet.

There are many, many healthy carbs. If the OP wants to restrict added sugars from her diet (either permanently or forever) because she has difficulty moderating them, I have no issues with that, but I feel that extreme restriction of an entire macro group because someone has labeled carbs as junk is unnecessary and definitely not a straight pathway to health for any individual.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Seems like the general consensus here is just to hold on and fight the cravings. Well that's what I've been trying to do, and I'll keep fighting but I think sugar should be considered another type of drug!
    I know when I ingest junk foods high in sugar, something happens, and my body and mind react badly.
    Maybe most people do not have this reaction, and bully for them.

I cut out most processed foods, breads and all sugars except those in fruit. For whatever reason, I do not have that reaction when I eat fruit. I have heard some say sugar is like a drug; who knows?
    I cut out processed foods except on rare occasions, and lost 100 pounds and maintained this for almost 3 years.
    My fitness goals and optimal level of health mean more to me than sugar tastes.

Maybe this helps...Good Luck
  • umayster
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Hi, @Jefbro98.

Yes because a diet void of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains is obviously the healthiest possible diet.

There are many, many healthy carbs. If the OP wants to restrict added sugars from her diet (either permanently or forever) because she has difficulty moderating them, I have no issues with that, but I feel that extreme restriction of an entire macro group because someone has labeled carbs as junk is unnecessary and definitely not a straight pathway to health for any individual.

The bolded statement is true due to our overeating of a non-essental nutrient for a very large group of people with metabolic health issues.

It is fully possible to get all nutrients needed from a variety of meats and water.

To your body, carbohydrates are non-essential. Non-essential means you do not need to eat them to sustain your life. The reason so many so many of us are sick and overweight is we are eating HALF of our diet (or much more fore some) of a non essential nutrient that our many of our bodies cannot handle eating at that quantity.

• Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am speaking without any scientific authority here -- just my own experience.

If I have periods of eating that are heavy in salt and sugar, it makes my ability to enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables lessen. After a bag of chips, a handful of freshly picked cherry tomatoes simply isn't going to have the same appeal or complexity of flavor as it does when I haven't been overloading my diet with salt and/or sugar. Likewise, too much salt or sugar limits my ability to truly enjoy a piece of fruit, and that's horrible because a really ripe peach is the most delicious thing on the planet. For me, eating things heavy in salt leads to me eating things heavy in sugar and vice versa. I love fruits and vegetables, so I limit things that make me enjoy them less.

I don't have to completely avoid them. Last night I had a scoop of Ben and Jerry's, and it was delicious. Had I eaten the entire pint, however, the peaches ripening on my table wouldn't be torturing me quite so much right now (they smell SO GOOD, but they aren't quite ready) and perhaps the open bag of chips my roommates have on the counter might be calling my name. I just don't go crazy. I find that having a piece of fruit for dessert is just as satisfying -- even more satisfying most of the time -- than having something super sweet. But for me, salt is an issue, too. If I have a very salty dinner, I'm more likely to choose a super sweet dessert. If I have a very sweet treat, I'm more likely to want to follow it with a salty snack.

It is entirely possible that this is just a personal quirk of mine, but if I were in your shoes having torturous cravings for sugar, I'd actually look to limiting my salt intake a bit to quiet the cravings.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Hi, @Jefbro98.

The bolded statement is true due to our overeating of a non-essental nutrient for a very large group of people with metabolic health issues.

It is fully possible to get all nutrients needed from a variety of meats and water.

To your body, carbohydrates are non-essential. Non-essential means you do not need to eat them to sustain your life. The reason so many so many of us are sick and overweight is we are eating HALF of our diet (or much more fore some) of a non essential nutrient that our many of our bodies cannot handle eating at that quantity.

No. The reason so many people are overweight is they are eating too many calories. Period. There are some people with medical conditions that may need to restrict carbohydrates, but that is not the majority of the population.

Reducing carbohydrates can be an effective tool to help achieve a calorie deficit, enabling people to lose weight and become healthier, but to advise that a diet of meat and water is better than a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meat, dairy, and healthy fats is ludicrous.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »

If I have periods of eating that are heavy in salt and sugar, it makes my ability to enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables lessen. After a bag of chips, a handful of freshly picked cherry tomatoes simply isn't going to have the same appeal or complexity of flavor as it does when I haven't been overloading my diet with salt and/or sugar. Likewise, too much salt or sugar limits my ability to truly enjoy a piece of fruit, and that's horrible because a really ripe peach is the most delicious thing on the planet. For me, eating things heavy in salt leads to me eating things heavy in sugar and vice versa. I love fruits and vegetables, so I limit things that make me enjoy them less.

I don't have to completely avoid them. Last night I had a scoop of Ben and Jerry's, and it was delicious. Had I eaten the entire pint, however, the peaches ripening on my table wouldn't be torturing me quite so much right now (they smell SO GOOD, but they aren't quite ready) and perhaps the open bag of chips my roommates have on the counter might be calling my name. I just don't go crazy. I find that having a piece of fruit for dessert is just as satisfying -- even more satisfying most of the time -- than having something super sweet. But for me, salt is an issue, too. If I have a very salty dinner, I'm more likely to choose a super sweet dessert. If I have a very sweet treat, I'm more likely to want to follow it with a salty snack.

It is entirely possible that this is just a personal quirk of mine, but if I were in your shoes having torturous cravings for sugar, I'd actually look to limiting my salt intake a bit to quiet the cravings.

That's great that you identified your trigger. :)
    I would add that reducing salt, if one is eating low carb, can be dangerous because your salt need doubles on a vLCHF diet to about 5000mg. It's just something to keep in mind if you are eating very low carb (below 50g or so).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Hi, @Jefbro98.

No. The reason so many people are overweight is they are eating too many calories. Period. There are some people with medical conditions that may need to restrict carbohydrates, but that is not the majority of the population.

Reducing carbohydrates can be an effective tool to help achieve a calorie deficit, enabling people to lose weight and become healthier, but to advise that a diet of meat and water is better than a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meat, dairy, and healthy fats is ludicrous.

+1

Also, the US percentage of carbs is not outside the human norm at all. Many healthy traditional populations had/have higher percentages of carbs. Many countries with lower obesity and overweight rates than the US have higher carb percentages. The problem with diet in the US is overall calories (and this includes fat calories, not just carbs) and eating a large amount of high cal/low nutrient foods in general (many or most of which are low fiber and high in both carbs and fat).

To extrapolate from this that the problem is carbs (or eating 50% carbs) and ignore diet quality overall and, especially, to think this means that cutting out vegetables, fruits, and legumes and whole grains is goofy. I happen to agree that a sensible (not no vegetable or very low in vegetables) low carb plan can be a good way for some people to maintain a calorie deficit or keep calories in check, but not because "carbs" are unhealthy. Those kinds of claims are why some of the low carb stuff here gets push back, not because anyone cares whether an individual prefers eating lower carb.
  • niloufarK
    niloufarK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    emmalpoppy wrote: »
    Lol do not eat sugar, cut back carbs. And make sure the carbs you are eating are healthy carbs. The more bread and crap I eat the more sugar I crave. I've always had a serious sweet tooth but can really lessen the cravings by eating less carbs and mainly just those found in veggies and such.

I agree with this. The only way I found to get rid of my sugar and carb cravings was reduce my sugar to almost zero and keep my carb intake very low. The first few days were difficult but I feel much better.

I agree too, i had a sugar addiction and cutting carbs low has practically diminished it. Its sort of like a reset button to your body, where you become in control again. Just carry mint with you the first couple of days ;)

• umayster
    Options

Hi, @Jefbro98.

The reason so many people are overweight is they are eating too many calories of carbohydrates.

In the last 4 decades in the US consumption went up by 200c pp per day and carb consumption percent of calories went up by 20%. Results equal diabesity epidemic. It follows that we also have a pre-diabetic epidemic also since it takes years or decades of inappropriate diet to create a diabetic. This is what happens when we elevate a non-essential macronutrient (carbs) to an unnatural level in our diets.

No one said meat and water was healthier except you. Don't misread.

Our health system is strictly oriented to treating identified sickness. It is pretty useless at stopping people from getting sick by diet, that is strictly the job of the individual.
  • umayster
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Hi, @Jefbro98.

+1

Also, the US percentage of carbs is not outside the human norm at all. Many healthy traditional populations had/have higher percentages of carbs. Many countries with lower obesity and overweight rates than the US have higher carb percentages. The problem with diet in the US is overall calories (and this includes fat calories, not just carbs) and eating a large amount of high cal/low nutrient foods in general (many or most of which are low fiber and high in both carbs and fat).

To extrapolate from this that the problem is carbs (or eating 50% carbs) and ignore diet quality overall and, especially, to think this means that cutting out vegetables, fruits, and legumes and whole grains is goofy. I happen to agree that a sensible (not no vegetable or very low in vegetables) low carb plan can be a good way for some people to maintain a calorie deficit or keep calories in check, but not because "carbs" are unhealthy. Those kinds of claims are why some of the low carb stuff here gets push back, not because anyone cares whether an individual prefers eating lower carb.

You may want to review updated numbers for the world wide diabetes problem happening right now. Asia is typically used as an example of higher carb intakes without problems. Oops!
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Hi, @Jefbro98.

The reason so many people are overweight is they are eating too many calories of carbohydrates.

In the last 4 decades in the US consumption went up by 200c pp per day and carb consumption percent of calories went up by 20%. Results equal diabesity epidemic. It follows that we also have a pre-diabetic epidemic also since it takes years or decades of inappropriate diet to create a diabetic. This is what happens when we elevate a non-essential macronutrient (carbs) to an unnatural level in our diets.

No one said meat and water was healthier except you. Don't misread.

Our health system is strictly oriented to treating identified sickness. It is pretty useless at stopping people from getting sick by diet, that is strictly the job of the individual.

You are stating that carbs are an unessential nutrient, that the obesity epidemic and other medical conditions are directly related to the overconsumption of carbohydrates, and that it is possible for a person to get all essential nutrients from meat and water. How is that not the same as saying that a diet of meat and water is healthier than a diet that includes carbohydrates?
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »

That's great that you identified your trigger. :)
    I would add that reducing salt, if one is eating low carb, can be dangerous because your salt need doubles on a vLCHF diet to about 5000mg. It's just something to keep in mind if you are eating very low carb (below 50g or so).

I usually hit somewhere within 30-50% carbs daily (well over 50g!), but thank you for the warning. :smile:
  • umayster
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Hi, @Jefbro98.

As Judge Milian from the People's Court would say....any proof of that statement other than your flapping gums???

People are overweight because they are eating too many calories. Not calories of carbohydrates. Calories. Period. Choosing low carb as your diet of choice doesn't mean you have to demonize a whole food group. I am glad the diet works for you, but it doesn't mean that it is the way everyone needs to meet, especially with people without any medical necessity to.

There are many many factors as to the increasing issue of obesity in the United States. It's too complicated for this thread and well, it's off topic.

I will gladly stop 'flapping my gums' as you so rudely put it when OP's with self identified sugar or carb control issues stop being told to eat carbs/sugars and don't worry about it.

It is very distressing to witness someone attempting to solve their issues being undermined instead of supported in their quest to improve their health.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Hi, @Jefbro98.

As Judge Milian from the People's Court would say....any proof of that statement other than your flapping gums???

People are overweight because they are eating too many calories. Not calories of carbohydrates. Calories. Period. Choosing low carb as your diet of choice doesn't mean you have to demonize a whole food group. I am glad the diet works for you, but it doesn't mean that it is the way everyone needs to meet, especially with people without any medical necessity to.

There are many many factors as to the increasing issue of obesity in the United States. It's too complicated for this thread and well, it's off topic.

I will gladly stop 'flapping my gums' as you so rudely put it when OP's with self identified sugar or carb control issues stop being told to eat carbs/sugars and don't worry about it.

It is very distressing to witness someone attempting to solve their issues being undermined instead of supported in their quest to improve their health.

Please point out in this thread where OP was told to eat carbs/sugar and don't worry about it. What people said was that reducing carbs can be a method of creating a calorie deficit but if the OP struggles with feelings of guilt when she falls off the no carb wagon, maybe she should look for ways to work some treats into a primarily nutrient dense diet.

I find it distressing when people promote unnecessary restriction of entire food groups or macros based on fallacious extrapolation of scientific/medical data.

Her goal is to lose 20 lbs to get back to her "ideal weight". Hardly a candidate for a sweeping restriction of a macro that can include nutrient dense foods in order to reach her goal. People were merely pointing out that there may be ways which would leave the OP feeling less restricted, stressed, etc.