Just curious

Options
Is there a difference between a kcal and a calorie? If so, what? Thanks!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Really, what we usually call calories are kilocalories.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between calories and kilocalories? The "calorie" we refer to in food is actually kilocalorie. One (1) kilocalorie is the same as one (1) Calorie (upper case C). A kilocalorie is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water one degree Celsius.

Googled this
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    So kilocalories is the correct term, shortened to "kcal"?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    calorie = the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one cubic centimeter (1mL) of water by one degree Celsius.
    Calorie = kilocalorie = the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1,000 cubic centimeters (1L) of water by one degree Celsius. This is what people mean when referring to a food calorie.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options

http://www.livestrong.com/article/311197-how-many-calories-does-one-kcal-equal/
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    In a more scientific context, it would be a better term to use. In this context, it's often just confusing for no real benefit not to use "calorie." I guess it depends on whether you want to be scientifically or idiomatically correct.

I mean, yeah, a tomato is scientifically a fruit, but...

• atypicalsmith
    Options
    In a more scientific context, it would be a better term to use. In this context, it's often just confusing for no real benefit not to use "calorie." I guess it depends on whether you want to be scientifically or idiomatically correct.

I mean, yeah, a tomato is scientifically a fruit, but...

I prefer the word "calorie" instead of "kcal" because that's how I grew up. And yes, wisdom is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but common sense knows that you don't include it in a fruit salad . . .
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Stick with "calorie," then. People will know what you mean and if you run across kilocalorie, kcalorie, or kcal, you'll know it's the same thing as your "calorie."
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Stick with "calorie," then. People will know what you mean and if you run across kilocalorie, kcalorie, or kcal, you'll know it's the same thing as your "calorie."

Thank you! I am no longer confuzzled . . .