Any good exercises for weak wrists?

Options
I have very small, weak wrists... It hurts them to even do push ups.. Anybody have a good exercise to help with this?? Or any other suggestions? =)

Replies

• MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The shake weight. Make sure to collect your cab fare too.

lol In seriousness though, wrist curls could help, but I would focus on some pulling movements like deadlifts. Farmer's Walks will definitely help.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I have nasty tendonitis...I've been doing some grip strength exercises to strengthen my forearms so the support for my wrists is there. It seems to be helping me a lot. :)

I use the squeeze grip things with the coil at the top...http://images.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=grip+strength&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=f1heQHA033iPVM&tbnid=dL8Rkkxy9NfciM:&ved=&url=http://www.mbingisser.com/2012/01/ask-martin-vol-16-grip-strength/&ei=cwXCUYe0MYLDigKJl4DICg&psig=AFQjCNFLiMUgnjBqHwxb_wDJjw8TX46UnA&ust=1371756276398873
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are also doing mobility work and developing your wrist flexibility. A lot of people mistake tightness for 'weak' wrists.

In addition to lifting weights (famers carries as mentioned above, cleans, KB swings, front squats, etc.) yoga is great for developing wrist strength. I would have to say that during my weekly class I spend 80% of the time in a position that has me balancing on my hands/wrists.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I think my weak wrists are from gripping the spinning bike too tightly.

Have you seen a dr?

There are exercises but you might need to rest them first. And it takes time to build strength. I got a few grippy things from Modell's but you have to be using them tons. You can also squeeze a squishy ball.
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have tendonitis and they just hurt haha I have been bowling for 14 years and have a brace for my bowling wrist, but i want to work on strengthening rather than babying them for everything I do! But thanks for all of the mentioned exercises! I cant wait to start them!
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Take up drumming! All drummers have firm, yet supple wrists...

All kidding aside, I've played percussion in various bands, orchestras, and other ensembles on and off for ~30 years. Hitting things with heavy sticks repeatedly--with precision, speed, and power--builds great wrist and forearm strength and flexibility! As a side benefit, it's a lot of fun. And have you ever met anyone who played cymbals in a marching band? Talk about wrist and forearm workout! Those plates are heavy!
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hey! I played symbols for my band every now and then! =P It's tough!
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Wrist curls won't help you much. You'll want to stick to gripping exercises (deadlift, farmer's carry, etc.)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Pinch plate walks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9thnNqumAMM

2 plates your weight, your distance, your time.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    shake a weight is a scam
  • melindasuefritz
    Options

Wear wrists weights or ankle weights around your wrists during normal daily activities. Keep them on for a couple hours the first day, then take a day off and the third day wear for slightly longer. Repeat this routine for several weeks.

Stretch your wrists out before each wrist workout. Sit on your knees and put your wrists together, insides of the arms touching. Press against the floor and circle them, moving your body weight over them. Pull your fingers back and then push them forward to increase their flexibility. Circle your wrists several times.

FROM e how.com
  • melindasuefritz
    Options

Hold a can of vegetables in your hand. Place your elbow on a table. Slowly allow your wrist to fall back. Hold it there for three counts then slowly bring it back up. Curl your wrist forward and hold it there for another three counts. Bring your wrist back to its starting position. Repeat 10-15 times on each wrist.

Repeat step three with a large bottled liquid such as a 20+ ounce bottle of Gatorade. Try side to side movements as well. Slowly drop the wrist to the side with the bottle in hand then bring it back up.

Repeat step three with a three pound weight. Do these exercises three or four times a week. Your wrists will thank you!

FROM EHOW >COM