Losing 100 pounds while in Nursing school...

Options
So, my final semester of Nursing school is starting in 1 month and I've made a goal of getting healthier by losing 100 lbs. I have gained 40 lbs throughout the 2 years of school and I'm worried the stress is going to throw a wrench in things. I'm very worried!

Replies

• mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Nursing school is definitely stressful... I packed on about 25 pounds during my 2 years. Unfortunately, becoming a nurse & actively practicing is still really stressful.

You're almost finished with school & you will graduate! Just take the time to focus on what you really want & envisioning yourself a smaller/healthier you at graduation!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So you gained 40 lbs in two years and you want to lose 100 lbs in one semester?

I think you're very noble to go into nursing, but maybe start by adding something like yoga to your routine for a couple weeks to deal with the stress you're feeling. Losing weight is hard. Nursing school is hard. Finding some balance and extra emotional energy via something like mediation or yoga might help you keep things in perspective. Talk to your friends, laugh, go for a bike ride with someone you love. Eating at a deficit to lose weight is just math, easy. Committing to the logging, keeping your values in order, those are harder.

FWIW, here's some threads that give great advice:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • JuliaJuliaBoBulia
    JuliaJuliaBoBulia Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

I think you're very noble to go into nursing, but maybe start by adding something like yoga to your routine for a couple weeks to deal with the stress you're feeling. Losing weight is hard. Nursing school is hard. Finding some balance and extra emotional energy via something like mediation or yoga might help you keep things in perspective. Talk to your friends, laugh, go for a bike ride with someone you love. Eating at a deficit to lose weight is just math, easy. Committing to the logging, keeping your values in order, those are harder.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I meant my overall weight loss goal is 100 lbs! I don't expect to lose anywhere near 100 in one semester! Lol, looking back at my post, I realize I should have been clearer. I just want to keep up progress during the semester! Thank you for the recommendations!!
  • JuliaJuliaBoBulia
    Options
    Nursing school is definitely stressful... I packed on about 25 pounds during my 2 years. Unfortunately, becoming a nurse & actively practicing is still really stressful.

You're almost finished with school & you will graduate! Just take the time to focus on what you really want & envisioning yourself a smaller/healthier you at graduation!

I'm going to use that vision as a motivation! Healthier me at graduation :)
  • becky53012
    becky53012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, I feel your pain! Im just starting nursing school and I have over 100 lbs to lose. We can do it!!!
  • katecorb
    katecorb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am also in nursing school, my goal is to lose 60 lbs by may when I graduate with my RN. I gained 17 lbs my first 2 semesters, but have found new motivation, and am going to walk on the stage at a much more normal size. We can do this! Good luck, and the trick is that you MUST pre plan meals and snacks to STAY AWAY from the cafeteria and vending machines!
  • JuliaJuliaBoBulia
    Options
    It's nice to know I'm not alone in this!!! It's hard during clinicals when everyone wants to get pizza or something as a group. Also, people are always bringing in doughnuts and cookies for nurses. Every time I want a doughnut, I'll just think of future me with diabetes and heart disease - having to have my blood sugar and blood pressure checked all the time! I want to be a good example to my patients!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I meant my overall weight loss goal is 100 lbs! I don't expect to lose anywhere near 100 in one semester! Lol, looking back at my post, I realize I should have been clearer. I just want to keep up progress during the semester! Thank you for the recommendations!!

It didn't sound like you wanted to lose 100 pounds in a semester.

Plug your numbers into the MFP and start logging!

You can lose your 100 pounds, but it's going to take time. Plan to do this for at least a year, maybe two. It comes off pretty quickly when you begin losing, but slows down. Don't get discouraged when it slows down. Never get discouraged. Never quit!
  • JuliaJuliaBoBulia
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

It didn't sound like you wanted to lose 100 pounds in a semester.

Plug your numbers into the MFP and start logging!

You can lose your 100 pounds, but it's going to take time. Plan to do this for at least a year, maybe two. It comes off pretty quickly when you begin losing, but slows down. Don't get discouraged when it slows down. Never get discouraged. Never quit!

Thank you! I lost 50 lbs about 2 years ago and then ran into a bout of depression and gained it all back. I've learned I need to keep my mental health in check and not start slipping once I've made noticeable progress!
  • krrbrr
    krrbrr Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I start nursing school this fall and have been trying to lose as much as I can before I start and also develop as many good habits as I can! So far so good, just hoping I can stay on track once school begins! Good luck to you!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Learn how to manage your stress now. If you think it's stressful as a student where your main stress is academic, it definitely gets worse when the stress isn't that you might not pass a test and your responsible for people's lives. Just remember nursing school doesn't teach you to be a nurse it teaches you to pass the NCLEX.

Nurses love to order and eat unhealthy food so learn how to manage your intake now. 80% of the time people are ordering pizza or whatever on our unit. I just bring food from home, mostly it gets expensive fast if you eat out a lot. Management is cheap is likes to reward us for a job well done with food too. So learn to say no. Find an exercise you like, it's the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Build meal prep and exercise into your schedule.

I recommend mapping out your whole week and getting your routine organized before the semester starts.

Good luck!
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Congrats at going to nursing school. School is stressful and so is working as a nurse with all the weird hours, lack of sleep and just doing the job. Now is a good time to learn to manage stress. That will help keep it all in prospective. There is something about nursing, I have never stopped going to school for long and am now working on a graduate degree. One of the sayings we used in nursing school. Rule #1 don't sweat the small stuff. #2 Its all small stuff. I know that seems like stretching it, but it helps you stop and take a deep breath and realize there are always things that are more important than the exam you are studying for.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm also another nursing student (about to enter my third semester and the year of constant sim labs), though I don't live on campus and instead commute a half hour away. I found that dedicating some time each week to pre-logging my upcoming week and to prep as much as I can (even something as simple as making sandwiches or bagging snacks on days where I don't have the time to eat a full meal while I'm on campus) to be a huge help in avoiding eating whatever I first see at the student center.
  • RSSmith2015
    RSSmith2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm also a nursing student & have about 106 lbs. to lose... I think it's difficult to make good choices when you're feeling stressed, but I'm hoping determined to try to do a better job. I definitely feel better when I choose healthier foods!
  • JuliaJuliaBoBulia
    Options
    Thank you all for all of the encouragement! I have my practicum coming up. I'll have about 32 hours of clinical a week. I'm thinking I'll try to make as many meals as i can ahead of time on my days off! I have a hard time with my energy level during the semester. I don't drink coffee (I may be the only student who doesn't! ) and I sometimes feel like a pick-me-up. I'll have to find a solution!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all of the encouragement! I have my practicum coming up. I'll have about 32 hours of clinical a week. I'm thinking I'll try to make as many meals as i can ahead of time on my days off! I have a hard time with my energy level during the semester. I don't drink coffee (I may be the only student who doesn't! ) and I sometimes feel like a pick-me-up. I'll have to find a solution!

I drank a lot of the crystal light packets in water with caffeine in school. Also V8 makes energy drinks you can buy in the juice aisle that are 10 calories, not carbonated, as have about 80 mg if caffeine. I've been drinking those lately because they're like half the price of red bull and don't make me pee the whole night lol.

Always bring something like a protein bar, some nights it's all I have time/appetite to eat (hard to have an appetite if you have a patient with a GI bleed or some crazy wound care). Don't feel you need to eat mega complicated meals. Lots of times I pack myself a pb and j and it never disappoints me lol. I like to keep a few pre made and frozen so I can grab on the way out if I don't have time to make something else and by the time I eat it its thawed out and the perfect temp. I'm also a big fan of mixed nuts (without peanuts), for an energy boost and buy a big jar and pre measure some out for grab and go snacks. Grapes are good for that too, or grape tomatoes I like to bring. Personally I like to bring a couple of Oreos because if I only eat them at work I don't have access to the whole bag and it's better to have a little something sweet if you get a craving than end up at a vending machine. The golden ones are 3 for 170 calories which is less than vending machine ones which are usually 4 to a pack and the other vending machine options are all over 200 calories.
  • onlytati
    onlytati Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good luck in school! I gained about 20 lbs when I was in nursing school. One of my biggest issues was snacking while studying. My friend told me that she snacked on frozen peas instead of unhealthy options, and it worked for me. Take a step back and see where you're eating excess calories and work on a fix.
  • amandapanda932011
    amandapanda932011 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know exactally how you feel. I'm in nursing school to and thankfully I am about done! Between stress from school and a now ex bf, I gained like 40ish lbs in the past 2 years and now I'm trying to lose that weight and then some (I was already a "bigger girl" to begin with), so I think its time for a change for me. Good luck with school and your weight loss! :)
  • zolly786
    zolly786 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I gained a bunch in nursing school and the first couple years of working. I lost 50lb and kept it off. Until I had kids.

Now I need to lose 70lb in total. The combo of being a nurse,working shift work, having two kids, poor eating habits, and hitting my mid 30s have all combined to knock me on my butt.

It can be done. I'm down 11 while doing a run of nights.

Good luck!