Gluten sensitive?? Help!

Options
I have been on and off gluten since April and have noticed that when I eat gluten, my mouth gets dry, I have issues with gum recession, and pain in my hands. When I cut it out, it seems to not be as bad. Anyone else experience this?? TIA! I just want to know if this is an issue with gluten or not.

I've been tested for gluten intolerance and it came back negative but the dr said it's very hard to tell thru a blood test.

Replies

• kmajor2015
    kmajor2015 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was tested for Celiac a few months ago, because I had really bad acid reflux/dyspepsia for about 6 months. The celiac test came back negative, but it was still suggested that I'm likely gluten intolerant. My grandmother has Celiac, so who knows, it could evolve to that over the years. My point is, gluten can have many effects on different people. I'd just cut it out for about 2-3 months and see how you feel. There's plenty of alternatives, it's become a lot more mainstream in the last few years.
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There are 300 associated symptoms and disorders linked to celiac disease, and close to the same for non celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS), and that can make it hard to pin down the cause. It took me over 35 years to figure it out, myself. My main symptoms included inflammatory arthritis, migraines, irregular cycle, plantar fasciitis, stomach aches bloating, constipation, and a few other issues.

NCGS can trigger other problems like sjorgens (dryness). If you feel better off gluten, you should probably avoid it... You are right that those tests can mss a lt of celacs ( up to 1 in 4) so you are safest to stay GF.

Best wishes.
  • gillian_nalletamby
    gillian_nalletamby Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I tested negative for celiac disease but I just find I feel better when I don't eat wheat products. I found some nice flavoured tea the other day and after drinking, I found my stomach was bloated and I feel unwell for the rest of the night. I looked at the label and there was wheat In it. Who knew? My point is that if you feel better eaten gluten-free products, just roll with it.
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank yall so much for your responses!!