can't remember how to work out what calories I need!

Options
Can anyone tell me how I work out my base calories that my body needs just to stay alive?

I can't remember the equation thing

Thanks

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    BMR calculator.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about your BMR, click on APPS in the light blue bar at the top of the screen, then click BMR on the darker blue bar under it. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why do you need your BMR? It's just part of the equation that goes to make your TDEE and no specific use in its own right eg you can eat below it if you choose so long as you're hitting your nutritional minimums which for most women is pegged at 1200

What does MFP give you for your choice of settings?
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I managed to get down to 9st 3 the other year but I had to go to extreme measures to stay there living on only veg, quorn and the occasional meat meal for treat (chicken on sunday) and fat burners for energy to exercise for longer than I would be able to otherwise.

As soon as I stopped I put weight back on but have stayed consistently around 12st- 12st 7. I have my monthly cycle at the moment and I'm 12st 7, after water comes off I'll usually stay around 12st -12st 4.

I've ordered some more capsiplex.. 2 months supply to give me an energy burst as I'm struggling with fatigue at the minute , its an effort getting through the day, let alone managing to exercise for 1-2hours a day to burn extra calories.

I'm wondering whether a colon cleanse will help drop extra water and get rid of some of the bloat?

According to BMR mines 1,419 and my BMI is 30. That says I should be between 7st 10 (no chance!!) and 10st 6! I was looking really thin in face and neck when I'd got to 9st 3 and everyone commented on it and thought I looked older in the face but I still hardly lost any in abdomen area and remained bigger there.

A scan did reveal a fibroid there about size of an apple but I'd managed to shrink it with Vitalzym..however I didn't relaise you have to keep a maintenance dose and its about £90 a bottle which I couldn't afford. Only other option would be surgery but I've been told it could still grow back until after my menopause.

I could now get another bottle of vitalzym OR a bottle of colon cleanse and tubs of replacement meals for breakfast and lunch and wondering which would shrink abdomen most?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    shakybabe wrote: »
    I managed to get down to 9st 3 the other year but I had to go to extreme measures to stay there living on only veg, quorn and the occasional meat meal for treat (chicken on sunday) and fat burners for energy to exercise for longer than I would be able to otherwise.

As soon as I stopped I put weight back on but have stayed consistently around 12st- 12st 7. I have my monthly cycle at the moment and I'm 12st 7, after water comes off I'll usually stay around 12st -12st 4.

I've ordered some more capsiplex.. 2 months supply to give me an energy burst as I'm struggling with fatigue at the minute , its an effort getting through the day, let alone managing to exercise for 1-2hours a day to burn extra calories.

I'm wondering whether a colon cleanse will help drop extra water and get rid of some of the bloat?

According to BMR mines 1,419 and my BMI is 30. That says I should be between 7st 10 (no chance!!) and 10st 6! I was looking really thin in face and neck when I'd got to 9st 3 and everyone commented on it and thought I looked older in the face but I still hardly lost any in abdomen area and remained bigger there.

A scan did reveal a fibroid there about size of an apple but I'd managed to shrink it with Vitalzym..however I didn't relaise you have to keep a maintenance dose and its about £90 a bottle which I couldn't afford. Only other option would be surgery but I've been told it could still grow back until after my menopause.

I could now get another bottle of vitalzym OR a bottle of colon cleanse and tubs of replacement meals for breakfast and lunch and wondering which would shrink abdomen most?

I think you need to talk to a professional about your issues. But I will tell you that a colon cleanse does absolutely nothing to reduce body weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    BMR calculator.

This
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Try eating at a calorie deficit. Cleanses and supplements are not needed to lose weight. Eating at a sensible caloric deficit is.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

This is unnecessary. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose. Your body cleanses itself.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You lost weight eating veggies and quirk because you were in a calorie deficit. If you stopped when you changed your diet, it's because you were no longer in a deficit. One thing about incorporating more calorie dense foods, you need to log carefully, and many people need to weigh their food because they may not be good at estimating portions.

As previously mentioned, you don't need supplements or enemas to lose weight. If you are hungry throughout the day, try adding more nutrient dense foods to keep you satiated. Try getting a food scale and weighing your foods.

And you said that many people made comments about how you looked when you were at your lowest. Perhaps you should aim for the higher end of your healthy weight range and then work on changing your body composition. You would eat at maintenance and incorporate progressive resistance training. Heck, I'd start resistance training now.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie defecit and plan for maintenance

What happened to you is you ate at a calorie defecit by following a completely restrictive diet and lost weight ...then you crashed and burned and ate in surplus until you put on 46lbs and now you're eating at maintenance for your new weight

You don't need anything but to eat at a defecit to lose your weight

As for your fibroid...do they need to operate?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I can't speak to the OP's fibroid, but in general, unneeded hysterectomies are often performed for fibroids:

Do You Need Surgery for Fibroids?

Most women with uterine fibroids have no symptoms or just mild symptoms and do not need treatment. For these women “watchful waiting” will allow treatment to be avoided, perhaps indefinitely.

However, serious medical conditions, such as severe anemia from heavy bleeding or, very rarely, blockage of the ureters from very large fibroids, may need to be treated with surgery. Surgery may also be used for women with very heavy bleeding, pelvic pain or pressure, urinary frequency or incontinence that interfere with quality of life. Many advances have been made in the surgical options to treat fibroids . These currently include abdominal myomectomy for even large fibroids, laparoscopic myomectomy, hysteroscopic myomectomy, endometrial ablation, uterine artery occlusion and abdominal, vaginal and laparoscopic hysterectomy.

Despite these options, women with bothersome fibroids who have completed childbearing are often inappropriately recommended to have a hysterectomy. A recent study found that fibroids were the indication for surgery in 199,000 (33%) of the 598,000 hysterectomies performed in 1999. But, only 30,000 myomectomies were performed that year and other alternatives were even less frequently performed.

Read more: http://www.fibroidsecondopinion.com/surgery-for-fibroids/
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

How about you speak to a medical professional if your fibroid is that bad? And why the hell would you be doing a colon cleanse? Are you prepping for a colonoscopy or colectomy? If not, then don't do a colon cleanse because it's only going to dehydrate you and weight loss would only be temporary. I speak from experience in that I have had a colonoscopy AND a partial colectomy, and oddly enough during the colon resection it was discovered that I have a uterine fibroid myself.