Using maintenance calories to work out deficit

Options
Who is using this approach instead of MFP calculation based on " loosing X per week you should eat X " ?

I feel as is 1200 is too low for me (this so what I was given) I am 5'2 and 161lbs with a goal weight of 133lbs.

Just wanted to know what results people are getting from eating a certain percentages below their maintenance calories and what percentage they chose and why?

I've worked out if eat 20% less than maintenance I can eat 1624cals and if I eat 25% less I can eat 1523cals - which is a far cry from 1200 and makes me feel happier.

But because I've used this method I don't know how much this could help me loose each week? Was aiming for 1 1/2 - 2lbs

Replies

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you only have 30+/- pounds to lose, set yourself for 1lb a week and see what MFP calculates. 2lbs a week probably put you at the 1200 calories a day.
    .5 = 250 calories a day below maintenance
    1lb = 500 calories a day below maintenance
    2lbs = 1000 calories a day below maintenance
  • Karmyeboo
    Karmyeboo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    If you only have 30+/- pounds to lose, set yourself for 1lb a week and see what MFP calculates. 2lbs a week probably put you at the 1200 calories a day.
    .5 = 250 calories a day below maintenance
    1lb = 500 calories a day below maintenance
    2lbs = 1000 calories a day below maintenance

Does TDEE and maintenance mean the same thing? Because IIFTM TDEE is giving me 1740 and MFP is giving me 2030 for maintenance calories and I don't know where to go from it's so confusing
  • jaqcan
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What did you choose as your activity level?
    TDEE factors in exercise.
    MFP only gives you exercise calories if you log them. But exercise isn't activity level. If you didn't do intentional exercise, pick your activity level based on that.
  • Karmyeboo
    Options
    I used sedentary and 0 exercise
  • jaqcan
    Options
    Ok, so since your MFP maintenance is 2030, they will NOT give you a calorie goal less than 1200. It's too drastic of a deficit. If you choose 1lb a week loss you will be given 1530. That's without adding exercise. If you were to burn 300 with intentional exercise, you could then potentially eat 1830. (or a % of exercise calories, since they are over estimated most of the time)
  • Karmyeboo
    Options
    They DID give me 1200 for a 2lb a week loss..
    I see, thanks for the help.
  • jaqcan
    Options
    Karmyeboo wrote: »
    They DID give me 1200 for a 2lb a week loss..
    I see, thanks for the help.

They won't give you LESS than 1200. For a true 2lb a week deficit you'd only be given 1030 and that's not enough calories for our bodies to function. You risk having too much muscle loss (your heart is you're most important muscle) They don't want to encourage eating disorder behaviors, so the cut off for women is 1200 and 1500 for men. So 1200 probably isn't sustainable, and 1500 is very doable. :smiley:
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I switched over to TDEE not to long ago because I was so hungry on the MFP plan. I set my goals on mfp to "active" since I am and have my calories set at maintenance, so it gives me 2600ish cals to maintain on. I don't plan on ever cutting below 2100 cals again, I mentally can't sustain my workouts on so few calories. Not sure if it's working weight wise but last week I was hadn't gained even though I upped my cals by almost 1000.

I'm on a break from trying to lose but I do track everyday and still exercise. I'm just enjoying eating at maintenance and not feeling hungry while also building strength with heavy lifting.