Proper shoes

Options
Curious....how often do you replace your shoes or suggest that you do? I see many online articles suggest anywhere from 3 to 6 months? Really!? That can get costly.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    For athletic shoes, especially running shoes? There are two basic factor: amount of use they get, and gradual breakdown of the materials over time. For walking shoes or lighter impact exercise, you might be able to get away with longer.

The general number given for running shoes is 350-500 miles. I find I get about 200-250 out of each pair; I'm not sure why I'm so hard on them. :(

To keep the costs down, there are a couple strategies you can take:
    --Buy older year models from Amazon
    --Stock up on end-of-model-year sales at sports and running stores like (in the US) Running Warehouse
    --brands like New Balance and Asics sell lower-end running shoes at sports stores and department stores like Kohl's (US). They're heavier, generally less flexible and breathable than the higher end ones, but plenty serviceable enough.

Or you could swim, which doesn't require footwear at all. :)
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For athletic shoes, especially running shoes? There are two basic factor: amount of use they get, and gradual breakdown of the materials over time. For walking shoes or lighter impact exercise, you might be able to get away with longer.

The general number given for running shoes is 350-500 miles. I find I get about 200-250 out of each pair; I'm not sure why I'm so hard on them. :(

To keep the costs down, there are a couple strategies you can take:
    --Buy older year models from Amazon
    --Stock up on end-of-model-year sales at sports and running stores like (in the US) Running Warehouse
    --brands like New Balance and Asics sell lower-end running shoes at sports stores and department stores like Kohl's (US). They're heavier, generally less flexible and breathable than the higher end ones, but plenty serviceable enough.

Or you could swim, which doesn't require footwear at all. :)

Agreed. I run a lot of pavement so I get about 200 out of mine before I can tell they're too broke down. When I ran more trails and soft terrain I could get an easy 300-400 out of shoes. If you're into running or something of the nature, you'll find shoes will become the most expensive thing. It's important to buy good quality, and depending on your mileage, you could be buying quite frequently. I rotate shoes so mine do last well into a year, but if I were to wear 1 pair and run 30+ miles a week like I do, I'd have to replace about every 4 months because I'm pretty rough on them.

Normal wear and tear shoes just depends on use. If the sides are all broken down and you can feel your feet slipping more or blistering, then it's a sign for new shoes.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't actually track mileage on my shoes, but I replace them once a season, OR whenever I see significant wear on the treads, OR when I feel significant changes in support/feel of the shoe.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Rotating shoes will help extend the life.

As others have said, keep an eye out for steep discounts on last year's models. I have a closet full of $100+ training and running shoes, most of which I spent $50 or less on.
  • half12345
    half12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    any idea when the old models will start going on sale?
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just for those who do water exercises. It is a good idea to have a good pair of water shoes. Ryka has a good water shoe, for about 60. Especially if you have back or knee issues I would suggest a good water shoe.