Bulking your oats out!

Options
dc1arkson
dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So I have reduced my oats serving from one cup to a half a cup, I have done this as I now grate in a courgette to bulk out the oats. I have also heard that cauliflower can be used too. I was also going to try maybe rice cakes or one wheatabix. Do you have any things you use that work for you ?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, protein powder... can't really imagine putting veggies in there though, but I like my oats sweet..
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    My Flavdrops take care of masking and flavouring my oats nice and sweet
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Here in the US, we call courgette "zucchini." I cannot imagine adding that to oats. I've always added sweet things like raisins, dried cherries, honey, etc. Sometimes I add some wheat germ, but I add that to tons of things. It's an easy way to get more goodness and crunch in. The zucchini-courgette just seems different...but not bad!

Oats are fairly bland and you can add just about anything to them. If you like it, why not? Add away.

I have never had Wheetabix. I'll have to look in the Brit section of the grocery store. We have a bunch of expats here, so they get a section. :)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    dc1arkson wrote: »
    So I have reduced my oats serving from one cup to a half a cup, I have done this as I now grate in a courgette to bulk out the oats. I have also heard that cauliflower can be used too. I was also going to try maybe rice cakes or one wheatabix. Do you have any things you use that work for you ?
    Not sure I understand you. I like the idea of savory oats and have been meaning to explore and experiment with it for quite a while now. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Leftover roasted vegetables seem like a natural. I'm thinking whole pieces of recognisable roasted vegetables added to oats which were started by toasting oats with a garlic and onion or sofrito sautée. Stirring in mashed veggies that become an indistinguishable part of the porridge holds no interest though. Peppers or chilis would work well, I think. This recipe treats the oats like southern grits. All that's missing is the sausage bits.

I've not seen nor tasted Wheatabix, but not tempted to replace part of the oats with wheat or rice because those grains are already more common in my diet than oats are. Also, I like the taste of oats. Steel cut oats anyway. Rolled oats; not so much. Do you use groats much over there?

There are lots of savory oat recipes on the interweb by the way.

So Dc, if I'm missing your point altogether, sorry about that. Just thought I'd share my thoughts even though I haven't gotten around to trying them out yet.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    My friend just checked at Publix. A box of Wheetabix is $5.39.

They better be good.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

They better be good.
    What are they?
  • Kalikel
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »

They better be good.
    What are they?

Breakfast cereal. Some people mix them up in other stuff.

I'll have to try them. Since they're $5.39 here in the US, I have to assume that I won't like them. Murphy's Law. :)
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have heard of people putting cottage cheese in. you could put maybe yoghurt in there? bananas... prunes or dates.... frozen berries?
  • lynn1643
    lynn1643 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For volume I use zucchini grated. I cook them with the oats and a little stevia and unsweetened cocoa powder. When they are cool i add some chocolate protein powder. Mixing oats with apple or greek yogurt is good too!
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I mix in a half cup of egg whites before I cook mine. And before I eat it I add a scoop of protein powder, ground flax seed and blueberries. And sometimes almond milk.
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    Lol I haven't had savoury oats before but Zoats (zucchini in oats) really works great if you grate it up fine enough as it basically has no over powering taste. I add cinnamon, chocolate or maple zero calorie Flavdrops and they're super sweet and as you can guess cuts the cal count in half and gets extra veg in my diet.
    I started thinking what other things could work? I tried them 30cal rice cakes which were fine worked okay. Wheatabix which kinda when mixed it just made it super thick!
    I want to try the egg whites everyone's mentioned does it help create a great deal more volume?
  • dc1arkson
    Options

They better be good.

They're lovely but wow that's some price!
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I imagine your zucchini oats are similar in taste ti zucchini bread...yum. :)
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I use greek yoghurt, or flavoured yoghurt as a treat, with some fruit such as sliced peaches or pineapple. Tastes great and is super filling!
  • dc1arkson
    Options
    I use greek yoghurt, or flavoured yoghurt as a treat, with some fruit such as sliced peaches or pineapple. Tastes great and is super filling!

I do the same but usually with my own flavoured fat free fromage fais
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    dc1arkson wrote: »
    Lol I haven't had savoury oats before but Zoats (zucchini in oats) really works great if you grate it up fine enough as it basically has no over powering taste. I add cinnamon, chocolate or maple zero calorie Flavdrops and they're super sweet and as you can guess cuts the cal count in half and gets extra veg in my diet.
    I started thinking what other things could work? I tried them 30cal rice cakes which were fine worked okay. Wheatabix which kinda when mixed it just made it super thick!
    I want to try the egg whites everyone's mentioned does it help create a great deal more volume?

"Zoats." Nice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

They better be good.

They're pretty bland, but I liked them at the time.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

They better be good.

Trader Joes sells them cheaper than that.