Difficulty losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Noticed you are also hypothyroid. I found that my hormones/meds have to basically be perfect to lose any weight. I also gain on calorie amounts that others would lose plenty on. I find it is more difficult, but works slowly if my hormones are right.

You might not yet be on the right dose of synthroid and you may also need to add a t3 treatment, or change pills. Were your last blood results normal, and by normal I mean at the low end of the thyroid hormone levels? Do you have other hypo symptoms, or are you feeling well?

I am working my way through Root Cause at the moment, and pondering dropping some of the foods that can be tricky for hypothyroidism cause by Hashimotos.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    jadedone wrote: »
    Noticed you are also hypothyroid. I found that my hormones/meds have to basically be perfect to lose any weight. I also gain on calorie amounts that others would lose plenty on. I find it is more difficult, but works slowly if my hormones are right.

You might not yet be on the right dose of synthroid and you may also need to add a t3 treatment, or change pills. Were your last blood results normal, and by normal I mean at the low end of the thyroid hormone levels? Do you have other hypo symptoms, or are you feeling well?

I am working my way through Root Cause at the moment, and pondering dropping some of the foods that can be tricky for hypothyroidism cause by Hashimotos.

I'm relatively new to hypothyroidism (diagnosed about seven weeks ago), but I'm finding the above to be all too true. My blood work last week indicated my TSH and T4 in normal range (but not low normal) but my T3 still quite high. Eating 1200 calories a day, which according to my Fitbit TDEE numbers is putting me at a deficit of 500+ calories a day on average, I am only managing to maintain my weight. It sucks big time, but I try to console myself that at least I'm not gaining more, and that hopefully as time goes by and my numbers get more regulated I'll start losing.

(And for the doubters out there -- Yes, I am weighing, measuring and recording my intake accurately.)

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    To clarify above-- I'm really not sure if my T3 is still high or low. I just remember it wasn't in the normal range yet.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I do have a food scale. Probably should get it out of the cupboard and dust it off lol. I read packages and the required serving sizes although I try not to eat prepacked processed food. I eat a lot of raw vegetables from my garden and lean meats.

My husband who works out about half as much as I do had lost 9 pounds and is down a pant size.

1. Never compare your weight loss to anyone else—especially a man. 2. Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. And the best way to know how many calories you're eating is to weigh everything you eat—including packaged food, peanut butter, and protein powder. Everything.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and learning to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly was a huge wake-up call. I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range, and I've kept it off. Logging works.
  • suzettedees
    suzettedees Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do get occasional swelling in my hands and ankles usually during hot weather. I also find to many carbs make me sleepy.

l am concerned about the amount of Tylenol and ibuprofen I take the alternative is opiates though and I'm very hesitant to take them unless I am flared up and incapacitated.
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    Try to add in some good fats (olive oil), avocado. This will help weight loss get going. Tylenol and Ibuprofen, both of these can lead to liver disorders. Be careful with them.

Do you have swelling in your feet and lower legs? I found that was caused by going over 100 grams of carbs for myself.

Good luck.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Get an accurate TDEE and eat 500 calories less. MEDGEM and other similar metabolic readers can help to determine RMR so you can find out what your TDEE is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • suzettedees
    Options
    I have a doctors appointment on Friday to get the results of my blood work on my new dose. I have Hashimotos as well and have been reading that often doctors see the results as normal even when they are barely normal and it's better to be on an optimal dose than a 'normal' dose. I am feeling much better than I was but sometimes I don't even know how much energy I am suppose to have any more. I'm off work every summer so my days are slower paced than when I'm back at work. I haven't heard of root cause but, I will google it.
    Thank you
    jadedone wrote: »

• suzettedees
    Options
    I'm not sure what TDEE is but I will look it up.

The more I'm learning seems the more I need to learn
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My name is Suzette. I was in a car accident 2 1/2 years ago that changed my life forever. The long story is long so I'll keep it to the short story. I have gained 20 pounds since my accident but would like to lose 50. I live with chronic pain and have flare ups that make it difficult to get out of bed in the morning but, I am making a commitment to get healthier. I have kept a food and exercise journal and recently began logging on the app. My problem is I mostly eat healthy, I lift weights 3 times a week (one day with a trainer) I do cardio and core strength work 2 times a week at the gym and I do 1.25 hours of an intermediate hike 2 times a week. In a month I've lost a whopping total of 1.5 pounds. If I eat my 1590 calories to lose 2 pounds a week, I gain weight even though I have a extra calorie deficit through the 8-10 hours of exercise I do a week. It seems the only way I can lose weight is to eat less than 1000 calories a day but as soon as I eat the 1590 I start to gain everything back I lost. I am feeling depressed and frustrated.

Fix your logging
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

• suzettedees
    Options
    Thank you. That was helpful information.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    My name is Suzette. I was in a car accident 2 1/2 years ago that changed my life forever. The long story is long so I'll keep it to the short story. I have gained 20 pounds since my accident but would like to lose 50. I live with chronic pain and have flare ups that make it difficult to get out of bed in the morning but, I am making a commitment to get healthier. I have kept a food and exercise journal and recently began logging on the app. My problem is I mostly eat healthy, I lift weights 3 times a week (one day with a trainer) I do cardio and core strength work 2 times a week at the gym and I do 1.25 hours of an intermediate hike 2 times a week. In a month I've lost a whopping total of 1.5 pounds. If I eat my 1590 calories to lose 2 pounds a week, I gain weight even though I have a extra calorie deficit through the 8-10 hours of exercise I do a week. It seems the only way I can lose weight is to eat less than 1000 calories a day but as soon as I eat the 1590 I start to gain everything back I lost. I am feeling depressed and frustrated.

Fix your logging
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

• rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do get occasional swelling in my hands and ankles usually during hot weather. I also find to many carbs make me sleepy.

l am concerned about the amount of Tylenol and ibuprofen I take the alternative is opiates though and I'm very hesitant to take them unless I am flared up and incapacitated.
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    Try to add in some good fats (olive oil), avocado. This will help weight loss get going. Tylenol and Ibuprofen, both of these can lead to liver disorders. Be careful with them.

Do you have swelling in your feet and lower legs? I found that was caused by going over 100 grams of carbs for myself.

Good luck.

Thanks for answering. I was having this amazing swelling in my feet and face and ankles there for a bit. I found getting rid of red meat stopped the swelling in my face. It makes such a difference. But I was being kept up at night due to the feet and ankles swelling (it had only started a couple months ago). I find that if I go over 100 grams of carbohydrate which is maybe two pieces of bread and berries or vegetables, then they swell over the 100 grams. Now that I've just agreed with my body on this one, I don't find myself tired after dinner. I used to be completely tired at six or seven, whenever we ate.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • Sherlock_65
    Sherlock_65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just been diagnosed with Hashimotos and feel so tired and defeated. I'm glad to hear that others know about this. I'm curious about what TDEE and MEDGEM is??? I feel overwhelmed, tired and fat. I'm also swelling really bad. I am just getting started. What is a realistic beginning for me?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about what TDEE is???

I feel overwhelmed, tired and fat. I'm also swelling really bad. I am just getting started. What is a realistic beginning for me?

TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. In other words, it's your maintenance calories. Once you've been tracking your food accurately & honestly, you can calculate your TDEE from your data. (Some people use online calculators to estimate their TDEE.)

The best place to start is by learning to log. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works. Get a digital food scale and log everything you eat—including packaged food, peanut butter & protein powder. Every thing. Learn to identify accurate database entries. Anyone can put in anything they want, so it's full of junk data.

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided and be patient! It will take a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.
  • suzettedees
    Options
    I was feeling the same way. I was in a mental fog and had very little energy. Listen to your body. Some people take a nap because they are tired occasionally, when your levels aren't right it feels like you can fall asleep standing up. It may appear to others that I'm lazy but, during those times I'm just surviving.

Get your thyroid levels checked regularly, make an activity goal. If all you can manage is walking around the block, then walk around the block. Increase activity levels when you are able and try to eat healthy.

I exercise regularly and still don't lose weight easily or quickly. I struggle and feel defeated at times. Get support from people who understand your struggles. When you feel like giving up because 'it's just not working' reach out. You are not alone
  • carbnite_bro
    carbnite_bro Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Google carb nite solutions...thats what I'm doing :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    a healthy, balanced diet can help some symptoms
    lyrica can lead to weight gain, so be aware of your hunger. is it in your head or in your stomach? eat for stomach hunger and stop when you are full

swelling might be helped with drinking more fluids. I also take colchicine for swelling. legs up the wall can help with leg swelling. be aware of sodium intake as that also can lead to fluid retention

make sure to eat plenty of fiber and protein as it can help you stay fuller longer and the fiber can help with intestinal retention.

weigh everything to the best of your ability

and take care of yourself first and foremost. weightloss is merely a calorie deficit and exercise is not necessarily needed
  • suzettedees
    Options
  • suzettedees
    Options
    I am thankful for all the positive and helpful advice on here.