Effexor - Weaning Off

Options
Anyone else have long term experience with Effexor? Under my doctor's supervision over the last three months I have been weaning off of Effexor (which I was on for 10+ years). Keeping up my same exercise and eating patterns I have actually GAINED nearly 10 lbs over the three months I have been weaning off. I'm now two weeks completely Effexor free and I weigh the highest I ever have in my life. My weight has bobbed between 150lbs and 190lbs (I'm only 5'3) since I've been on antidepressants (a good 20 years or so), so I don't honestly know if the RX's have really caused any weight gain for me (while I was still taking them regularly). I'm sure as I've aged (I'm 47 now), this has slowed weight loss attempts down b/c I gain more and more easily as the years march on and must work harder and harder. Anyone taken the Effexor long term then weaned off? Did you lose the weight? Did you gain at a higher rate while weaning off? Did THIS weight ever come off? Thanks for any stories you'd like to share. :smile:

Replies

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    They can't make you gain weight, they don't contain calories. You could be experiencing fluid retention, varying appetites related to medications and/or depression, varying degrees of motivation to exercise related to medications and/or depression etc. I would suggest bringing it up with your doctor though so they are aware of what you are going through, they know more about your medical history and can help you transition through this time. Hang in there
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I was on Effexor years ago. I was on it for like a year, and it started making me feel like I was having mini seizures every 15min or so, so I weaned myself off. It was really hard, but I didn't gain any weight from it. I took Celexa too, and weaning off of that was even worse, but still no weight gain.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Weaning off Effexor is super hard. I did it about six months ago but I might have weaned myself a little fast. I was also on the medication for more than a decade. My weight didn't change during withdrawal. I suspect the side effects of weaning (which for me were headaches, nausea, anxiety, and insomnia) are causing you to eat more than you realize, to self medicate so-to-speak. The withdrawal symptoms do get easier however so hang in there. :smile:
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words. I DO feel like I have had an appetite increase, but Doc says I should be starting to lose weight by now. I'm making a point to recognize when I'm feeling hungry at inappropriate times and eating a low calorie snack. After two weeks completely Effexor free, I'm still having tummy issues which Doc says will wear off eventually. I would have to think that the Effexor itself is long gone from my system, but it seems the after effects last a while. At any rate, I'm glad we're all off of it :smile:
  • hekla90
    Options
    donnace7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouraging words. I DO feel like I have had an appetite increase, but Doc says I should be starting to lose weight by now. I'm making a point to recognize when I'm feeling hungry at inappropriate times and eating a low calorie snack. After two weeks completely Effexor free, I'm still having tummy issues which Doc says will wear off eventually. I would have to think that the Effexor itself is long gone from my system, but it seems the after effects last a while. At any rate, I'm glad we're all off of it :smile:

I'm not sure of the half life of Effexor but it could be longer than you think. Generally anti depressants work on neuro transmitters and it can take some time for your body to start regulating them without the extra help so to speak. My brother has ADHD for instance and when he stopped taking adderall it took him several weeks before he was able to wake up fully without the adderall until his neurotransmitters were all reset so to speak.

The weight will come off when you are in a caloric deficit and not a moment before, Effexor or not. If you feel like you have an increase in appetite you most likely do. You know your body, try logging all your meals and seeing exactly where you at can help tremendously. I find when I usually go over its due to "low calorie" snacks and from not logging them immediately so I eat a couple thinking it's only 50-75 calories or whatever and whoops! I did it again and went over lol.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I was only on it short term, so my experience may be vastly different, but the weight I gained on it came off fairly easily once I was off it, which also coincided with starting at MFP.

Ensure you're weighing and logging your food, eat at a deficit and it will come off. If you're finding you're struggling with hunger try altering your macro ratios (carbs, fats, protein) to find what is most satiating for you and keeps you feeling full the longest (for me it's fats and protein, but everyone is different).
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »

I'm not sure of the half life of Effexor but it could be longer than you think. Generally anti depressants work on neuro transmitters and it can take some time for your body to start regulating them without the extra help so to speak. My brother has ADHD for instance and when he stopped taking adderall it took him several weeks before he was able to wake up fully without the adderall until his neurotransmitters were all reset so to speak.

The weight will come off when you are in a caloric deficit and not a moment before, Effexor or not. If you feel like you have an increase in appetite you most likely do. You know your body, try logging all your meals and seeing exactly where you at can help tremendously. I find when I usually go over its due to "low calorie" snacks and from not logging them immediately so I eat a couple thinking it's only 50-75 calories or whatever and whoops! I did it again and went over lol.

Thanks. That's the issue. Even when I log and monitor religiously (I try to use the Weight Watchers addage of "bite it, write it") and I know without a doubt that I am in a deficit, I may lose that week....and I may not. It might also have to do with TYPES of food - I notice that I absolutely now must stay away from high sodium for example (and I LOVE sushi). It's the inconsistencies that have me baffled (and bewildered). I can try to go below 1100 calories a day, but that just doesn't work for me - it's just not enough - I look forward to eating. Doc says I should be able to lose a few lbs a week on up to 1400 calories per day, but I don't dare.
  • hekla90
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »

Thanks. That's the issue. Even when I log and monitor religiously (I try to use the Weight Watchers addage of "bite it, write it") and I know without a doubt that I am in a deficit, I may lose that week....and I may not. It might also have to do with TYPES of food - I notice that I absolutely now must stay away from high sodium for example (and I LOVE sushi). It's the inconsistencies that have me baffled (and bewildered). I can try to go below 1100 calories a day, but that just doesn't work for me - it's just not enough - I look forward to eating. Doc says I should be able to lose a few lbs a week on up to 1400 calories per day, but I don't dare.

It's likely water retention of you notice it with sodium for example. A good scale could also be useful measuring cups aren't very accurate and calories can add up quick. Also, weight loss isn't linear, si you might have a whoosh one week for example and lose several pounds at once.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    a1282f737f3483f7c753f88030449fda.jpg