When to reassess?

Options
Over the past two and a half years I've gained 20lbs. I'm not at an unhealthy weight now, but I've noticed the general trend on the scale is steadily climbing upwards, so I figured it's time to get a grip. I have my calories set to1650 per day, I run about 30 mpw, but am otherwise sedentary. I figured this number would get things moving rather quickly (I've been wanting to chew my arm off these past couple of days), but I stepped on the scale this morning and was up 6 lbs from two weeks ago. No, I didn't expect a drastic drop in weight in the two weeks I've been logging, but a gain?! I weigh my food out on a digital food scale and I don't think my bathroom scale is broken lol. Since I've gained, I'm obviously eating too much, but I guess my question is how much time should you give yourself before you reassess your intake and decide to cut more calories? And my weight fluctuates quite often, so I'm really not too bothered by the gain, but for the people who fluctuate like crazy, what is the best method to determine if what you're doing is working. Thanks!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate for many reasons. Are you always weighing under the same conditions (like in the morning after using the restroom) and with your scale on a hard surface?

Check out this helpful chart:
    lduvs20sopcm.jpg
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Are you female? Did you eat a salty meal or have alcohol lately?

It's likely just a water weight issue. If you weigh in a few days it should be mostly gone. Drink lots of water to help it pass.