Sit-ups daily or no?

Options
z304
z304 Posts: 84 Member
Is it better to do ab work like sit-ups daily or every other day? I see so many people doing them daily and I had sort of assumed I should include them in my full-body lifting days only... are abs somehow different than other muscles that should get rest days?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    They are muscle like any other. The issue is that people out there still believe training abs will give them a flatter stomach or 6 pack abs. Those of us "in the know" know that that's not the case.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I train my abs daily - compound lifts, functional training and yoga! I don't bother with sit ups.
  • wombleval
    wombleval Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sorry for butting in but what about planks ( including side planks)? Is it worth doing these? I do them on lower body day but are they achieving anything? Only able to do dumbbell squats and deadlifts so be worried not exercising core enough .
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I don't isolate abs and I don't plank
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Abs are like other muscles so they need rest too so i would say no, besides, doing your other exercises you use abs too.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I thought abs were one of the muscle groups that "could" be worked every day. I learned that back in the 80's, so that may have changed since then.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    sit-ups never...unless you're trying to pass a military PFT or something...there is much better ab/core work you can do.

also, like any other muscle your abs require rest...you'd be best to just start working with a lifting/resistance training program. also, you'd be best putting your primary focus on compound movements vs isolation exercises. I get most of my core work through my Olympic lifts and other compound movements. I do some ab isolation stuff usually at the end of my workout...if I'm short on time I just skip them since I've already beaten my core to *kitten* anyway.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    z304 wrote: »
    Is it better to do ab work like sit-ups daily or every other day? I see so many people doing them daily and I had sort of assumed I should include them in my full-body lifting days only... are abs somehow different than other muscles that should get rest days?
    I work core 6 days per week.
    I do NOT want those muscles growing big, so it's a near daily routine with high reps and a spectrum of exercises including planks, sit-ups and hanging leg raises.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    The only exercise with my program that would be considered an "ab workout" is hanging knee raises. 531 has me doing them after DL.
    But, with OHP, DL, BP and Squats my core gets worked quite a bit.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    There are so many fabulous ab exercises that are not sit-ups.
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Can I add a question about sit ups? I am in the beginning stages of strength and weight training. I still have at least 40lbs to go and I have zero muscle strength and zero balance so a lot of the core muscle exercises I REALLY struggle with. I took some cross fit classes and learned some really good lifts and kettle bell exercises I am doing. But wouldn't sit ups help strengthen my core so I could do more of the core exercises? I mean it can't hurt right?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you want really impressive abs, you need to have a low body fat % and developed abdominal muscles. Crunches won't cut it for developing the muscles. You need to incorporate weighted ab training: cable crunches, hanging leg raises (dumbbell between feet), or captain chair leg raises. you can work them out as much as you want but you won't see them until you're lean enough.
  • mhollencamp102012
    Options
    I'm not interested in seeing them...I know that's a long ways off...I just need to build strength in them so I can do the other core exercises.I can do some but not real efficient... And my balance is HORRIBLE which I know a strong core will improve
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    To build strength you need progressive overload. Abs are no different. Try weighted ab exercises.
  • mhollencamp102012
    Options
    Could you give me an idea on that? Sounds self explanatory but I am new to this part of getting healthy.... Ty for your help :)
  • galgenstrick
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I did above. Cable crunches, hanging leg raises with dumbbell between feet, and captain chair leg raises with dumbbell between feet.

But -- and this is important -- don't focus on ab exercises over a proven strength training program. If your goal is to get stronger, then you need to be on a strength training program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts. Ab exercises are secondary accessory exercises and can be done at the end of your strength training workout if you feel the need to.
  • mhollencamp102012
    Options
    I will have to look those up (sorry missed them the 1st time) and yes I'm working on everything not just my Abs. Just trying to get stronger in general...I really have very poor muscles and flexibility and as I mentioned balance... I'm a mess lol cardio is hard (I have COPD) but I do a run/walk between 3-8 miles a day (two sessions on the 8 mile days) to aid in weight loss...which has been working but as I said...everything is squishy this time around time to start trying to build some muscle and strength.... Ty again for your help :)
  • galgenstrick
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I will have to look those up (sorry missed them the 1st time) and yes I'm working on everything not just my Abs. Just trying to get stronger in general...I really have very poor muscles and flexibility and as I mentioned balance... I'm a mess lol cardio is hard (I have COPD) but I do a run/walk between 3-8 miles a day (two sessions on the 8 mile days) to aid in weight loss...which has been working but as I said...everything is squishy this time around time to start trying to build some muscle and strength.... Ty again for your help :)

I would consider dropping the cardio down a lot if you're running that much. Keep it to a couple sessions of HIIT per week. Walking is fine, but the goal is to support your strength training by adding weight to the bar every week if possible, and burning your body out on long runs is not a good plan if your goal is strength and body composition. The weight loss will come with time, and can be done without a bunch of endurance training. Endurance goals and strength goals conflict a bit.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Nah. There are some many exercises I want to do in on my gym days.. I get them in once a week.