Running help

Options

Replies

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My only regret regarding taking up running is not going to a running store to get properly fitted and purchase a pair of running shoes when I initially started running a year ago. Like OP, I was hesitant to spend the money. That was a huge mistake because I could have been a better runner by now if I had. So worth the money!!!

This almost can't be said enough. I suffered with shin splints for too long because I picked the wrong running shoes. Like everyone else, I've been buying my own shoes for decades. Why would I need help now? Well, I'd never been a runner before, that's why. The right shows made all the difference.

It's funny. People will eagerly go blow an extra $100+ for one night out on the town but they all turn into Ebeneezer Scrooge when asked to plunk down an extra $60 on running shoes that will last them half a year or more.
  • paulsamklyne383
    paulsamklyne383 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Also been advised no running for 2 weeks now until shins heeled, but obviously I'll want to try my new shows out
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered some shin supports so I'm hoping that helps .... I'm tempted to go to an actually running shop to be professionally fitted but then can I justify £150 and still can't run x

my trainers were £90, from a place that analysed my gait and recommended some shoes. you don't have to spend £150
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should wait 2 weeks until you can run again and then go and buy the new shoes.
  • paulsamklyne383
    Options
    I think I'm safe to run for the 30 second (max) gait test x
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are; I was responding to this bit.
    but obviously I'll want to try my new shows out

Especially if you do end up buying from a shop with a limited-time returns policy. Otherwise it'd be: buy shoes, don't use for two weeks, run for a bit and realise they're not quite right, oops, too late to return.
  • paulsamklyne383
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I'm sure you are; I was responding to this bit.
    but obviously I'll want to try my new shows out

Especially if you do end up buying from a shop with a limited-time returns policy. Otherwise it'd be: buy shoes, don't use for two weeks, run for a bit and realise they're not quite right, oops, too late to return.

• paulsamklyne383
    Options
    Good thinking!! I'll mention that to them x
  • FullTorqueFitness
    FullTorqueFitness Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Make sure exercise the muscles on the front of the shin, i.e. toe raises. If you don't have a way to add weight just do a lot of reps which will help build endurance in the muscle for your run.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Recent research has called into question the belief that you should buy shoes specific to your gait. In fact, the most important thing to do is buy running shoes that feel comfortable.

Before spending a lot of money on new shoes, here's what I would suggest (once you've finished your 2 weeks off and start running again). First, ensure that your shoes fit well: your feet don't slide around but there's some extra room at the end, in the toebox, so that your toes don't rub. Then, start running slowly and gently, with attention to form. I'd recommend doing the Couch to 5K program. Run slowly enough during the running intervals that you can speak in complete sentences, and aim while running for a cadence (number of steps per minute) of 180-190: in other words, your feet should hit the ground 3 times per second (1.5 times for each foot). That will encourage good form (midfoot strike, feet under body when they land). Shin splints are often due to running too hard for a beginner, and running with poor form.
  • paulsamklyne383
    Options
    I am doing the C25K
  • paulsamklyne383
    Options
    Sorry phone sent too fast, I am doing the C25K app, I'm running with a friend talking all the way, fastest I think max speed has been 9, running on beach so not too hard, warming up before hand, as far as I'm aware my shoes fit well they're comfortable and I don't get blisters or anything but they don't have air soles? X
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ......but they don't have air soles? X

You may have picked up from my previous that I don't tend to default to shoes as the answer, but equally I'm not as hard over as saying that they're not important. One observational study isn't enough to convince me that the logic and weight of supporting data doesn't make them quitea compelling issue.

Four main types of shoe exist; Motion Control/ Stability, Neutral and Cushioned along with minimalist. There is also a debate about heel to toe elevation, but for the majority there is little point in getting too involved.

Pronation is how the foot lands and rolls forward, it's natural that the roll will bring the toes from the outside inwards and then launching on the toe. The scale of that rotation is the key point. That rotation absorbs some of the shock loading from the landing.

Overpronators will have a large roll, and a moton control shoe helps to mitigate that. It places a significant torque load on the lower leg and is a frequent contributor to shin splints and can contribute to ankle and knee pain if uncorrected somehow.

A roll within acceptable range is neutral and doesn't need any mitigation, hence a neutral shoe.

Someone who underpronates, as in has a narrow range of motion, can benefit fro a cushioned shoe. With a narrow range of motion shock is not absorbed and propagates up the skeletal structure, which can lead to back or hip pain.

As onbserved, a short pace helps mitigate that by minimising the distance over which the foot rotates. In principle one may not need to use appropaiate shoes, if one has good running form. Catch 22...

As I noted upthread. As my running form has improved my need for a motion control shoes has reduced significantly, but without using those I'm unlikely to have got to where I am now.

Where I'm going with that is, cushioned may not be what you'd benefit from. It may be a motion control shoe that would help.
  • paulsamklyne383
    Options
    I'm quite stressed by this all lol ... Who thought a downloaded app c25k could cause so much drama :s
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    running on the beach is actually the hardest surface to run on particularly loose sand as theres so much movement
  • paulsamklyne383
    Options
    It's nor sand it's like grassy .... And so the running shop wouldn't analyse my gait while I've got shin splints :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's nor sand it's like grassy .... And so the running shop wouldn't analyse my gait while I've got shin splints :(

Best get resting up then!
  • punkahontas71
    punkahontas71 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If on a treadmill run on an incline. i found that that solved my problem. i did that for a couple of weeks before hitting pavement. That issue has passed. Now I'm dealing with plantar and a bone spur, just started running my way through it. Stretching and proper shoes are key!
  • paulsamklyne383
    Options

Best get resting up then!

Yep I'll go back in a fortnight and in the meanwhile I'm on a static bike, cross trainer and dog walking .....
    He said I'd probably over compensate my gait for injury, which was honest, ill def go back there x
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    a short pace helps mitigate that by minimising the distance over which the foot rotates. In principle one may not need to use appropriate shoes, if one has good running form. Catch 22...

As I noted upthread. As my running form has improved my need for a motion control shoes has reduced significantly, but without using those I'm unlikely to have got to where I am now.

Where I'm going with that is, cushioned may not be what you'd benefit from. It may be a motion control shoe that would help.

Great post MM.

We've travelled a similar path. When I was last running significant distance (between 35 and 15 years ago) me and my compatriots thought a lot less about form and more about pace and the beer at the end. Motion control shoes probably helped keep me going. When I restarted running last fall I'd done some research and decided to focus on form from the outset and indeed bringing my stride in and picking up cadence instead has served to reduce my over-pronation to the point where I can run in neutral minimalist shoes now without issue. Basically I can run in anything now, it seems.

@paulsamklyne383 Don't feel overwhelmed. You've got an injury that results from overusing an area of your body before it is ready to take that stress and this process of injury can be made worse by form or shoe choice or a combo of the both.

It isn't permanent. You will heal and get through this and if you spend the time figuring out what you need to do to avoid shin splints in the future, you'll probably never suffer from them again.

While healing you might want to read up on good running form and think about how you run - if you are very self aware you might even figure it out on your own.