Oil and pasta? High calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I don't cook it so much that it sticks. Al dente ftw.

Eating it truly al dente is having it undercooked, actually. You remove it from the pot and let the residual heat of the sauce finish cooking it through. I cook mine a little less than al dente because I make my sauce from scratch and I'll finish my pasta on the stove in the sauce for three or so minutes. Very yummy and never sticky.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I cook it to the minimum of the recommended range on the package.

Although America's Test Kitchen recommends you start testing two minutes earlier than the time on the package, I have also found the minimum number works well.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This whole thread has given me a craving for Aglio e Olio.

Mmm one of my favorites!

• hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Now I want to make some pasta...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Eating it truly al dente is having it undercooked, actually. You remove it from the pot and let the residual heat of the sauce finish cooking it through. I cook mine a little less than al dente because I make my sauce from scratch and I'll finish my pasta on the stove in the sauce for three or so minutes. Very yummy and never sticky.
    I start the timer, then add the pasta to the water. Between starting the timer a little early, not bringing the water back to a boil first, and timing to the minimum on the package, it is a little uncooked.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    This:

And this:
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you boil pasta in enough water, big pot and not overcook it, it will not stick. Sticking means too much past in too little water, or overcooking. Or perhaps some really terrible quality pasta?

this ..

I usually add a little salt after I put the pasta in and it comes back to a boil…

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks. According to your comments its probably my pots. I need to buy bigger pots. I had a really big one but it eventually got rusty and old so I tossed it a long time ago and haven't replaced it yet.

I don't need oil when I cook up to 12 oz of pasta in my 4 quart pot. (Never tried more than 12 oz so don't know its full capacity.)

I cook 3 oz of pasta in my 2 QT pot, but use this one for shapes other than spaghetti, which is too long for this pot.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's never occurred to me to strictly time the cooking of pasta, I test it, with my mouth. No oil, big pot, stir regularly. Don't stir rice though!